Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Hot Wheels

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks

Hot Wheels

I have a modest collection of Hot Wheels. Still in the package. I also have a few Ertl Tractors from the same Hot Wheels sized to a few Percesion Classics. I have some Consumers Energy Trucks too (our local electric and natural gas utility) I have collected over the years made by DG Productions.

I like Hot Wheels the best. I had a few as a kid. I spent 2-3 visits a week to the doctors office or hospital before I was five. I wasn't expected to make it to five years old. If I behaved at the regular visits with a guaranteed shot and blood work each time I might get to pick a new Hot Wheels out. So I never had too many Hot Wheels. My mom loved me dearly and prayed I would survive but she still tanned my backside regularly and I had them coming too.

Along the line I gave away all my little cars when my 1976 Olds 442 was my real 'Hot Wheels'. The queen, what I call my wife, started doing those Samaritan's Purse Shoe Box Ministry about 8-10 years ago and I slowly started collecting Hot Wheels again. If I found a car that I wanted which is almost exclusively Camaro's and Cadillacs, I would buy her two cars for her boxes. She prefers to give trucks away so I look for those.

Not big fans of Wal Mart but we hit the clearance stuff for toys, games, school supplies, underwear and socks etc she packs in the boxes. So month or so ago I found these large dump bin of these Hot Wheels 50th Anniversary Camaro's. An eight car collection. I found seven, but could not find the first in the series, a '67 Camaro with opening hood. Over the next month I hunted every darn near every Wally World in lower Michigan for this one car. They are exclusive to the asterisk blue vested folks. While in Jackson MI one night I met an old guy in his seventies looking through the dump bin of Camaro's. I asked if he found the '67. He had not. I guess eBay is where I need to go.

He asked if I was going to the event. Event? I asked. Yeah, the KMart event. Happens once a year. It is tomarrow morning. Huh? He explained that he had been collecting Hot Wheels all his life. He was from Kalamazoo which is at least an hour away from Jackson, but would be going probably to Hastings because Battle Creek is a blood bath riot he said. I chuckled. Yep. It's in the hood. He said I should go to Marshall MI and asked if I knew of it. I nodded. I did not tell him I lived about 20 minutes from that KMart.

That next day was the Saturday it was like 70 decrees which is nice for mid February in Michigan. Extremely nice. Despite having tons of things I needed to do with a rare day off I choose to drive to that KMart to see if the old guy was pulling my leg or not. Sitting in my Duramax Yoder-Toter I watched about five people gather at the front doors at eight am. Store doesn't open til nine so must be it is on. Yep. The store manager let us in and gave a raffle ticket to each of us. Clueless to what to do next I followed these other folks to the toy area and waited. Soon, the general manager appeared with a folding table then a cart with six master cases of new Hot Wheels. By now, it is nine am and people are wondering what we where gathered for. Hot Wheels. Rolling their eyes and muttering get a life, the other shoppers went about their business. 24 tickets was handed out. Each master case contained four cases. So everyone gets to be the first to open a case of brand new Hot Wheels and take thier pick of the litter. I was drawn out fifth so I picked my case and opened it. I scored some very cool cars. No Camaro's but I did get a Gas Monkey Corvette, a '55 Chevy Gaser, and two other '55 Chevy's. I only collect GM cars with the focus on Camaro's and Cadillacs. Although I do make one exception, Super Bees. Love the Super Bees.

While I was waiting an hour for the cases to be handed out, I watched and listened. It was like a living episode of Storage Wars. Guys drove as far as a hour and a half for this event. All sorts of characters. All ages. Even a couple of females. They knew of each other and knew I was not part of the collecting culture. Even one asked who I was and why I was there. They all groaned and a few even said the universal adjective under thier breath when they seen this senior coming at us. This guy and his wife, easily in thier 80's was pushing a shopping cart towards us. Equally hated by all the others, this guy is a hoarder and purposely gets in the way with the cart to get as many cars as possible that are collected. Some people just wanted the Gas Monkey car left, leaving the rest of the case intact. Which is what this old dude was waiting for. Everyone was hoping for a Treasure Hunt or Super Treasure Hunt Hot Wheels that are very rare. There is a 1995 released Super Treasure Hunt '67 Camaro on eBay asking north of $2400 bucks. Not bad for a buck investment. I heard of stories how they get the inside track on when the stores will restock the cars, what the odds are of these rare cars based on the serial number on the cases, and other dirty tricks and secretes of this new world I stumbled upon.

I learned also why I could not find any '67 Wal Mart Camaro's is because of the opening hood, some of the chrome engines would accidentally get painted by overspray in some decree. Which I guess makes them more valuable hence more desirable.

Taking my new cars home along with some trucks for the queen I was pleased with this otherwise colossal waste of my Saturday morning.

Isaac
    Last edited by UnionSchnauzer; 03-04-2017 at 10:20 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts

Hot Wheels

Great story! Thanks for sharing it
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Great story! Thanks for sharing it

yelp--i enjoyed also-thanks^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 AM
    Thanks
    Lol
    I never heard of such a thing!
    My cousin, who is about 54 now, had a ton of Hot Wheels when we were kids. Had the cases that looked like a wheel too. Mostly all Redlines as i recall. I know they were getting ridiculous prices about 10 years ago.

I was always into trucks. Had a few cars.
    But anything truck was my passion. And heavy equipment.And models. Still is. Love vintage toys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4915.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	323842

Name:	IMG_4916.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	323850

Name:	IMG_4917.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	323858
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 8 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Lol
    I never heard of such a thing!
    My cousin, who is about 54 now, had a ton of Hot Wheels when we were kids. Had the cases that looked like a wheel too. Mostly all Redlines as i recall. I know they were getting ridiculous prices about 10 years ago.

I was always into trucks. Had a few cars.
    But anything truck was my passion. And heavy equipment.And models. Still is. Love vintage toys.

Name:	IMG_4915.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	323842

Name:	IMG_4916.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	323850

Name:	IMG_4917.JPG 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	323858
    That is an awesome collection! I love old COE's. Mainly GM cracker boxes. I also dig old GM transit buses.

Isaac
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 3 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionSchnauzer View Post
    That is an awesome collection! I love old COE's. Mainly GM cracker boxes. I also dig old GM transit buses.

Isaac
    Yeah
    Not a lot of cracker boxes models made.
    But I do have a sleeper and a day cab version from the out of production Iver's Engineering white metal line.
    Always remember Pigpen cracker box from Movin On tv show.

Name:	IMG_8238.JPG 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	323922
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    I got into Matchbox many years ago and got out just as fast. I always liked the more detailed ones like Johnny Lighting ect. Still have a few Matchbox but just the ones of the cars I liked of real cars and one or two of the ones that can't be found now.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I got into Matchbox many years ago and got out just as fast. I always liked the more detailed ones like Johnny Lighting ect. Still have a few Matchbox but just the ones of the cars I liked of real cars and one or two of the ones that can't be found now.
    I always preferred Matchbox and Johnny Lightning for the same reason. My kids have permanently borrowed most of mine. The only ones I have held back are the station wagons.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Thanks
    Several years ago I started collecting Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars that either said Police or Sheriff on them. Most are still in the packaging.

No idea if any are special or rare, I just enjoy collecting them..
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That is awesome man. I love the Treasure Hunts and the Super Treasure Hunts. I only look for ones that in my realm of interest.

You collect what you like and that to me make them much more interesting collection.

I stumbled upon a Pedal Driver Treasure Hunt Hot Wheels last week at an auto parts store while picking up some replacement lamps for work truck. Sweet!

Have fun man and happy hunting.

isaac
    etcallhome, Levi and blue87fj60 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast