Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Some IH stuff

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,087 Posts

Some IH stuff

International Harvester stuff? On Green Tractor Talk? Yeah, I know. I can feel the cold stares and narrowing eyebrows from here.

I know there are at least a few other red tractor folks on here, and even then most of us can appreciate old tractors and memorabilia regardless of brand. I wouldn't say I've ever actively collected IH stuff, but have picked up a few neat things over the years. Most of what I'm posting today I bought together. Some of it is from dealers, other things appear to be from manufacturing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IH1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	30762

Little mailbox and a coffee mug.

Name:	IH3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	30763

Closeup of the mug. I'm guessing this may have been from a manufacturing/ assembly plant as a quality control award, but I really have no idea.

Name:	IH2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	30764

Child's medium size straw hat.

Name:	IH4.jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	30765

Lighters. I really like these. The one on the left is a D'Lite brand, and is stamped "Made in West-Germany".The center one says "Mursam LTD- PGH, PA" but is also stamped "Japan". The one on the right is a Park Lighter, made very near me in Murfreesboro, TN.

Name:	IH5.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	30766

Belt buckle, key chain, IH stamp and a patch that I'd guess is from a service tech's uniform.

Name:	IH6.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	30767

Pocket knife. It says "Sample L-52", so perhaps it was a sales sample by a knifemaker to a dealership trying to sell them knives?

Name:	IH7.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	30768

These two pins are very unique. The right one is a 40 year pin, but I don't know if it's IH's 40 year anniversary or perhaps a particular dealership.

Name:	IH8.jpg 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	30769

A little clearer (though still not great) photo of the other pin. It's from the IH Global Challenge, 1963. Not sure what that was, but they made a pin for it.

That's all for now.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    Nice collection Blake
    56FordGuy likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Once was a time companies valued their long time employees, and would give them items to commemorate certain milestones. (Like the gold watch upon retirement.) That 40 year pin could have been something like that, not just a 40 year celebration of the company being in business.
    56FordGuy likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Once was a time companies valued their long time employees, and would give them items to commemorate certain milestones. (Like the gold watch upon retirement.) That 40 year pin could have been something like that, not just a 40 year celebration of the company being in business.
    I hadn't thought of that, but it very well could be. All this (and a few other things) were from the same person, so I think it's pretty clear he was very devoted to the company and was probably there for a while.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    56FordGuy - I think that stuff is REALLY neat. I don't have any duplicates of your stuff but I have a LOT of IH stuff also.

On the coffee cup, IH only had ONE FARMALL PLANT, in Rock Island, IL.... that cup looks like it's celebrating 87(?)% good tractors from the start assembly line in Oct. 1976. Just for the record, I started working AT FARMALL on Oct. 11th 1976. Some how I didn't get that coffee cup. But like I said, I got truck loads of caps, jackets, other coffee cups, parts books, operators manuals, etc.

I think FarmGirl is correct on the ring, it's a 40 year service award ring. Not sure if it's from Farmall or another IH plant, but long term employees were common there. Longest string of family members I heard of was Grandfather, Father, & Son, but in the roughly 60 yrs IH owned the plant, there may have been a couple instances of four generations working there. I worked with a guy up until my last lay-off on Dec. 11th 1981 who started at FARMALL in 1926. He finally retired in 1982 with 56 yrs of service. I would have settled for thirty years!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POWERSTROKE For This Useful Post:

56FordGuy (08-05-2014), Kennyd (08-05-2014)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    Welcome PowerStroke
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Powerstroke, I really appreciate your input! I grew up with Farmalls, it's great to hear from someone that actually worked there and can shed some light on some of this stuff.

I guess it was starting out on the '49 Super A when I was young, but I've always had a soft spot for IH. Still have my IH tag on the front of the truck, even. Had a fellow out once to buy some equipment, we were talking and he pointed out the license tag on the front of the truck sitting 20 yards from the Deere 5320 and said "So how the hell does this work?"

I'd love to see some of the IH stuff you've acquired if you'd be willing to post some pictures.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Oh Gosh, I could just take a pic of the pile of stuff in the basement! My shop is mostly... O-K, ALL I-H. I have a dead battery in my camera, and since it's an H-P, a new one is $50. Have to save a few more penny's before I can buy a new one.

The last three years at FARMALL I worked in Material Scheduling, some people would call that Purchasing, 13 of us sent monthly schedules to all the suppliers. I started with Inter-works suppliers, other IH plants, like IH E.Moline, Farmall's Biggest supplier, IH Canton, IL, Melrose Park, Il engine plant, IH Indianapolis Foundry, Shadyside Ohio stamping plant, another guy had all three divisions of IH Louisville, Another guy had IH Memphis. After about 4 months I was reassigned the Tire desk, dealing with Firestone, Good Year, B.F.Goodrich, & Armstrong, as well as Electric Wheel in Quincy, IL and French & Hecht in Davenport, Ia. And to keep me busy, I handled the Rockford Clutch Division of Borg-Warner out of Rockford, IL, O-rings from Nat'l Seal in Downey, Ca, a stamping house in Dubuque, Ia, paint, and batteries from whoever the supplier of the year was, mostly Delco in Olatha, Ks, but was Presto-Lite in Toledo, Ohio one year, and one of my favorite suppliers was ELWOOD Mfg, who made the front wheel assist axle for the 86-series tractors.

IH was a pretty neat company to work for back in 1980. IH had their own satellite in space to bounce long distance phone calls off of. I had my own ID number and could call anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world and bill the call to IH. I also scheduled IH Nuess Germany diesel engines and KIMCO frt axles for the 2+2 tractors from Japan, so made over-seas calls from time-to-time. We tried to do as much correspondence via Telex as possible, I also had the first FAX machine in the plant compliments of BFG.

What really hurts is to see a picture of a 1086 or other 86-series tractor rusting away in a salvage yard when I still remember them sitting around the end of the finish assembly line just minutes from the last assembly operation, putting the tires & wheels on.

I've still got a couple FARMALL's out in the shop. I have the '51 M Dad bought brand new and took delivery of on Dec. 23rd 1951.... and the '54 Stg II Super H Dad bought in May of '68, traded a '39 H plus some cash for it.... I'd like to find the '54 Super M-TA he had from about 1960 until 1964/'65 but I'm not even sure where he traded it for the 450 Farmall at and no idea what the serial number was. Not really looking for the 450. But if I could find a nice low hour BIG Farmall, 806 diesel, 826-D gear drive, or a 3088 or 3288 I'd like one more in my collection. I'm partial to the German diesel's. In about 1980 when the 786 model was released to production, sales were better than expected, I thought of the idea of sending some 886 engines to our local Bosch distributor in Rock Island to have the injection pumps recalibrated, that was the ONLY difference between a 786 & 886 engine, and coordinated everything. Six months later they were ordering a container of 886 engines, a container of 786 engines, and a container of generic engines that the local Bosch shop could make into either version. That gave us MUCH more freedom to plan for demand spikes and hold inventory down as low as possible.
    DRobinson likes this.

12. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Neat info, Powerstroke! And...

If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    I worked for a welding supplier in the early to mid 90's. Made many deliveries into what we called the farmall plant in Rock Island. Went in to the combine plant in Moline until it closed. I remember the tractor paintings on the north wall. If you are in town, you need to go by where the plants WERE. Almost all traces of both of them are gone. Really sad.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast