• 1 Post By BigJim55
  • 1 Post By coaltrain

Thread: Fuel storage and dispensing

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks

Fuel storage and dispensing

Just saw the post regarding 55 gal fuel storage and got me thinking. I have a 250 gal home diesel tank for my garage furnace and would like to get a pump to fuel my 1025r (already tired of fueling with a 5 gal can).

What pumps have other used? How did you set it up? Do you use any "pre-tractor" filter?

I searched the forum but my search didn't yield what I was looking for. My biggest issue is that my tank is inside a shed attached to the back wall of my garage, next to my air compressor. There is minimal room to move around. I will need at least 10'-15' of hose to reach the tractor and I would prefer an electric pump as a hand pump would be tough to manage from 10'-15' away.

Help me spend my money and post pics if you have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    First off you are going to need a spare bung hole. This is the threaded insert welded into the tank when it's made/built. I'm sure 3 are already taken.
    Fill pipe
    Vent pipe
    Fuel gauge
    No way that I know of to safety get rid of one so you have an extra hole.
    If you do have a spot to mount it.
    You need a threaded adapter between the tank and pump.
    Some kind of tube under the pump to pick up the fuel.
    House diesel is way dirtier than over the road diesel. So you need some kind of decent filter. The pick up tube should not be on the bottom of the tank. I have pumped out and cut open quite a few oil tanks. (Unfortunately) Not one of them was clean inside. The last couple gallons comes out like ink. I normally hold the suction hose just under the surface of the fuel. The last couple gallons will block the pump.
    Robnik likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    First off you are going to need a spare bung hole. This is the threaded insert welded into the tank when it's made/built. I'm sure 3 are already taken.
    Fill pipe
    Vent pipe
    Fuel gauge
    No way that I know of to safety get rid of one so you have an extra hole.
    If you do have a spot to mount it.
    You need a threaded adapter between the tank and pump.
    Some kind of tube under the pump to pick up the fuel.
    House diesel is way dirtier than over the road diesel. So you need some kind of decent filter. The pick up tube should not be on the bottom of the tank. I have pumped out and cut open quite a few oil tanks. (Unfortunately) Not one of them was clean inside. The last couple gallons comes out like ink. I normally hold the suction hose just under the surface of the fuel. The last couple gallons will block the pump.
    Thanks, yeah I figured it would be dirty and full of sediment at the bottom. That's why I asked about a filter.

I have an extra bung at the top because it's not my house tank (no gauge) and I get the tank filled on call. There is 200 gal in there per the measurement when I bought the house in May.

BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 2,342 Posts
    I will have to respectfully dissagree about the house vs. road fuel - well at least off road fuel.

When I get my 1000 gallon house fuel tank filled I get my tractor tank filled at the same time. It comes out of the same truck - just billed differently as "farm fuel".

There is no difference in the fuel and no difference from the fuel I would get at the gas station other than not being died red.

I've run that fuel in my tractor for years and also another machine on occasion....

As far as tapping the tank - all you have to do is have your pipe that goes into the tank only reach around 2"-3" short of the bottom of the tank. I made up a hand pump for my big 1000 gallon tank in case I needed fuel out of that. I got an adjustable dip tube at tractor supply that works great. Then mount your pump of choice.

I have a hand pump on my tractor tank but that wouldn't work for you as you can't get the tractor next to the tank.

To me this would be a worthwhile venture. I had gotten to the point of not beng able to lift the 5 gal jugs (to the hood) so I had no choice.
    etcallhome, 56Nine, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-23-2019 @ 10:24 PM
    Thanks
    how does your tank hook to your furnace? pics?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    In PA is home heating oil now ultra-low sulfur? If not and you do use it, is that a void-your-warranty point for the 1025R? Home heating oil and off road diesel fuel were different in sulfur content at one time, although both were dyed red. Off road (farm) diesel and undyed, taxed diesel now have the same ultra low sulfur contents in the 2 states I buy fuel in. But I haven't had an oil furnace for a while, so don't know about heating oil regulations.

At one time I remember it was said that you could burn off road diesel in an oil furnace, but could not burn home heating oil in diesel farm tractors.

But, times have changed. I'm sure there are a few experts here able to explain it.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feasant View Post
    how does your tank hook to your furnace? pics?
    I'll take some pics in the morning.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmedic View Post
    I'll take some pics in the morning.

The boiler feed line always hooks up to a valve at the bottom of the tank. Usually a filter is installed just after the valve.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 1,137 Posts
    [QUOTE=RetiredDoc;2097610]In PA is home heating oil now ultra-low sulfur? If not and you do use it, is that a void-your-warranty point for the 1025R? Home heating oil and off road diesel fuel were different in sulfur content at one time, although both were dyed red. Off road (farm) diesel and undyed, taxed diesel now have the same ultra low sulfur contents in the 2 states I buy fuel in. But I haven't had an oil furnace for a while, so don't know about heating oil regulations.

At one time I remember it was said that you could burn off road diesel in an oil furnace, but could not burn home heating oil in diesel farm tractors.

But, times have changed. I'm sure there are a few experts here able to explain it.[/QUOTE]
    several yrs ago here where i live--i couldn't use my home heating oil for the tractor. something to do with Harrisburg, pa. wanting to know about the taxes, they thought they was getting cheated out of. since i wasn't a farmer, i had to pay a few pennies more to mow my yard with a diesel.
    even fellas who had in floor heat in their truck garages could not use home heating fuel. the fuel truck delivery companies would not allow them to drop the home heating fuel.

now yrs later, the delivery guy will fill my tractor barrel at the same time, as the house.
    it all had to do with the taxes-lots of complaints was filed. it must of worked.
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 2,342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post

But, times have changed. I'm sure there are a few experts here able to explain it.
    several yrs ago here where i live--i couldn't use my home heating oil for the tractor. something to do with Harrisburg, pa. wanting to know about the taxes, they thought they was getting cheated out of. since i wasn't a farmer, i had to pay a few pennies more to mow my yard with a diesel.
    even fellas who had in floor heat in their truck garages could not use home heating fuel. the fuel truck delivery companies would not allow them to drop the home heating fuel.

now yrs later, the delivery guy will fill my tractor barrel at the same time, as the house.
    it all had to do with the taxes-lots of complaints was filed. it must of worked.
    That's how it works Big Jim.

When I order both for my oil furnace and tractor tank - the fuel for the furnace tank does not have state sales tax, but the fuel for the tractor tank does. I'm not talking about road use tax but state sales tax.

Kind of funny - the price on the furnace fuel is a couple more cents per gallon than the tractor fuel. But when they add the 6% sales tax to the tractor fuel it comes out to the exact same price.
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements