• 2 Post By tj1
  • 1 Post By Jeff B

Thread: Log Splitter service

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks

Log Splitter service

Hey guys.. just curious how often you maintain your log splitters. Im referring to stand alone and not the PTO kind. I have a HUSKEE 27 ton i bought from Tractor Supply around 5 years ago. Its only used for home owner use, maybe 2-3 chords each year. I change the oil usually once a year on the Honda motoe. But what about the hydro fluid and filter? Ive never changed those ever. Theres quiet a lot of fluid. I just check the level every once in a while and let her rip! Thoughts on the fluid flush/filter change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
    Hey guys.. just curious how often you maintain your log splitters. Im referring to stand alone and not the PTO kind. I have a HUSKEE 27 ton i bought from Tractor Supply around 5 years ago. Its only used for home owner use, maybe 2-3 chords each year. I change the oil usually once a year on the Honda motoe. But what about the hydro fluid and filter? Ive never changed those ever. Theres quiet a lot of fluid. I just check the level every once in a while and let her rip! Thoughts on the fluid flush/filter change?

Maybe check with the manufacturer and see what they recommend. Also what type of oil and filter to use.

I would say after 5 years the fluid and filter are ready for a change. Just be sure to get the correct service parts.
    BigJim55 and raco232 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post

The log splitter professional here is Pappa. I'm sure he can tell you all about the maintenance intervals and recommendations... he has a log splitter that came over with Columbus as proof of his maintenance abilities..
    BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 22 ton version from Huskee. In my opinion these are incredibly well built machines for the money. I did the early fluid and filter change they recommended in the manual, I think within 20 hours or some other ridiculously low time frame.
    I really out to do it again seeing as my machine has got to be at least 11 years old, however, garage kept.
    Motor, same as my other four strokes, oil change in late fall, air filter or spark plug as needed.
    If I had to I could probably dig up my paperwork to see what is actually recommended but I for one will probably just do what I have been doing.
    That splitter and I have been spending way too much time together this year. I never thought I would have too much wood on hand but I'm up to my neck in it.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 09-06-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    raco232 likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    I do a spin on filter change once a year and top off hydraulic fluid on my Speeco 28 ton w/Honda GX engine (company that makes splitters for tractor supply i.e. Husky). My thought process is the hydraulic fluid does not get exposed to the products of combustion like in a combustion engine, and I store it inside and never split in the rain, so there isn't a significant water risk as my barn is kept @50 degrees in the winter.

I put about 20 hours a year on my splitter and change the engine oil in the Honda GX annually. And clean the air filter after each use.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    Awesome guys! Thanks for replies. My splitter has always been storred inside as well. I have the manual somewhere so il dig it up.

2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements