Tractor Tuning - Download more Horsepower?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Bubber
  • 2 Post By Yank
  • 4 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Tractor Tuning - Download more Horsepower?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks

Tractor Tuning - Download more Horsepower?

A friend of mine sent me this, I know nothing about it other than what's on this web page. I guess it makes sense that if there's a computer controlling the engine, you could download a tune.

Before you buy a new tractor to accommodate the power demands of a new plow, planter, or other implement, consider saving money by uprating your current equipment. Up-rating not only adds value and capability to your current tractor, but has a minimal impact to the equipment’s reliability. Calibrated Power Solutions now offers engine up-rates that achieve new power levels without replacing your current tractor, saving you the need to buy a higher powered model.
    Our up-rates increase power and torque over the entire operating range of the engine. Typically this allows the use of a higher gear (or 2+) and 2-300 less RPM. Running less RPM at the same ground speed saves fuel. Furthermore, the extra power allows for higher ground speed where applicable - allowing you to cover more acres per hour - saving you time.
    Reliability is a major concern for us. We’ve done engine calibration analysis on all of the models in your series. We know what it takes for the manufacturer to get more power. We use that as our road map to keep powertrains operating within the safe limits set out by the manufacturer for use in their higher end models utilizing similar powertrains. Furthermore, our product has no wires or connectors that will corrode over time. It adds no additional working parts or modules to the tractor. It keeps your tractor looking completely factory stock.
    To up-rate your tractor, simply contact us and tell us about your situation. We'll want to know what model you're running, how well it tolerates the current work, and how much more you think you need out of it. It's important to us to understand your expectations from the outset because we don't take a job unless we feel we can get the results you're looking for. Our techs are well versed in John Deere, Case, New Holland, and Versatile. They're able to identify situations where up-rating can yield fuel savings and improved operational efficiency. They're also experienced in indentifying situations where operators are simply asking too much from a machine. We take reliability very seriously, we're in this business for the long haul.
    Power Manager/Tuning - John Deere - Case - New Holland - Versatile - Tuning - Tractors

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    For most of us, we run out of tractor way before we run out of power. I know for mine, I have plenty of power to spare when my wheels start spinning. It won’t help you lift any more with the fel or the 3 point. That’s all hydraulics. So, unless you are pulling a disk or a plow, and come to a halt while the tires still have grip, I can’t see a benefit.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    A friend of mine sent me this, I know nothing about it other than what's on this web page. I guess it makes sense that if there's a computer controlling the engine, you could download a tune.

Power Manager/Tuning - John Deere - Case - New Holland - Versatile - Tuning - Tractors
    It does make sense, not unlike a diesel pickup/truck tune. I can't help but wonder how many tractors represented on this forum have the ability to be tuned. I certainly have not seen a diagnostic port on the 1025r.... not that it's not there...but I've not seen one.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Thanks
    Its generally meant for and practiced on large crop/row tractors with hundreds of HP to tune.

It was mentioned in the big thread here earlier in the year on how JD won’t allow farmers to access the computers within the machines that control them and the farmers are turning to the black market to get the tools to tune them for HP among other things.

I doubt there would much to tune, or change from a tune in a 1 or even 2 series-a 3 might see some effect.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Thanks

Turn them up

Way back before computers were on tractors, it was common to turn up the injector pump to boost HP. The local IH dealer would only have the mechanics do that if they were running the tractor on the dyno so they had a pretty good idea of what it was producing. Some of the pulling tractors went way up, like 40-50% over rated hp. Some also tore up the axles, rear ends, transmissions etc. but if they won a trophy it was all good.

Lots of fun seeing that cloud of smoke coming out of the stack.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post

I would not do it unless your warranty is out because JD will most likely not warranty an engine that has a tune in it.

GM and the other car manufacturers can now tell if a tune has been installed or removed and a stock tune put back in, I am quite sure JD would be able to track the same thing.

As others have said not a lot to gain on small tractors other than some fuel savings. I suppose you could have it tune to turn off any emissions equipment but opens up another can of worms. I doubt you would ever run into any trouble since I do not know of a tractor having to go through emissions testing but...I am sure California would be the first to require it.

I was wondering if anyone was ever going to produce a tractor tuner now that these things have computer controls.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements