Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Uh-Oh

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks

Uh-Oh

Sooooo, I hit 10 hours on the tractor yesterday. Figured I would go over it good today. Torqued the loader frame bolts and checked over all my fluid levels. When I checked my front axle oil it was just a little low. No problem. I have some HYGARD in the building. Realizing that my tractor wasn’t completely level, I decided to pull it out in the 45 degree rain to the only level spot I have. Most people would have just waited for better weather. Not me, I’m smart like that. So, get it out there, sure enough, oil is a little low. Topped it off, waited a little for it to settle, checked it again, right on the mark! Nailed it. Take the HYGARD back to the building and while I’m walking by my shelves I notice my John Deere premix radiator fluid is missing. Hhmmmm? I also notice that I have an extra gallon of HYGARD I didn’t know about. Hhhmmmm? Yep, filled the front axle with antifreeze. So, I’m not dare going to move the tractor back into the building with an axle full of antifreeze. Had to drain it and refill in the beautiful rain.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-06-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    Sooooo, I hit 10 hours on the tractor yesterday. Figured I would go over it good today. Torqued the loader frame bolts and checked over all my fluid levels. When I checked my front axle oil it was just a little low. No problem. I have some HYGARD in the building. Realizing that my tractor wasn?t completely level, I decided to pull it out in the 45 degree rain to the only level spot I have. Most people would have just waited for better weather. Not me, I?m smart like that. So, get it out there, sure enough, oil is a little low. Topped it off, waited a little for it to settle, checked it again, right on the mark! Nailed it. Take the HYGARD back to the building and while I?m walking by my shelves I notice my John Deere premix radiator fluid is missing. Hhmmmm? I also notice that I have an extra gallon of HYGARD I didn?t know about. Hhhmmmm? Yep, filled the front axle with antifreeze. So, I?m not dare going to move the tractor back into the building with an axle full of antifreeze. Had to drain it and refill in the beautiful rain.
    That is classic. I laughed out loud. Glad it was nothing any worse.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 9 others like this.
    ,Sleepy- "Living the dream!" -- 2017 2032R w/ loader and backhoe; JD Z930M 60"

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The manual says the axle holds 4.1 quarts from empty. I got about 3.75 or 3.8 quarts back in it to bring it to the full line. Now I’m wondering if I should run it up the driveway a bit to get it mixed up and change it again. Dont care to do it, but Hygards expensive.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 6 others like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Chances are if you didn’t run it between and drained it right away that the two fluids didn’t get mixed up being oil and water after all. I’d suspect that your drain was sufficient as the water should have been on the bottom and drained first.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I hope so. I could see some of it in the pan when I drained it. It was only in there for probably 15 minutes. Time it took to get my tools together.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 7 others like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Does anyone think I need to change the oil again? Figured I put about one half quart of coolant in. No idea if I got it all out. Drained the axle til nothing was dripping.
    Last edited by Yank; 11-09-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 6 others like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks

Yep

Does anyone think I need to change the oil again? Figured I put about one half quart of coolant in. No idea if I got it all out. Drained the axle til nothing was dripping.
    Yep, I figure you probably need to drain it at least once, maybe twice more. It's not because I think you will hurt the tractor but I'll bet if you don't drain it again, you will agonize over it.

i suspect you got it all out the first time but it's a new tractor and if you will worry every time you hear a new noise then a couple of gallons of HyGard are pretty cheap.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Yep, I figure you probably need to drain it at least once, maybe twice more. It's not because I think you will hurt the tractor but I'll bet if you don't drain it again, you will agonize over it.

i suspect you got it all out the first time but it's a new tractor and if you will worry every time you hear a new noise then a couple of gallons of HyGard are pretty cheap.

Treefarmer
    I agree. Only this time run it around for a while to get the oil warmed up and circulating before you drain it.

You guys are lucky who get to jse HyGuard. Changing my front axle with 90W takes forever when refilling.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I think I agree, guys. I don’t think there would still be enough in there to hurt it, but why chance it. When this rain stops I’ll drive it up and down the hill in 4wd to heat it up and drain it one more time. Fill it back up and be done with it.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Sooooo, I hit 10 hours on the tractor yesterday. Figured I would go over it good today. Torqued the loader frame bolts and checked over all my fluid levels. When I checked my front axle oil it was just a little low. No problem. I have some HYGARD in the building. Realizing that my tractor wasn’t completely level, I decided to pull it out in the 45 degree rain to the only level spot I have. Most people would have just waited for better weather. Not me, I’m smart like that. So, get it out there, sure enough, oil is a little low. Topped it off, waited a little for it to settle, checked it again, right on the mark! Nailed it. Take the HYGARD back to the building and while I’m walking by my shelves I notice my John Deere premix radiator fluid is missing. Hhmmmm? I also notice that I have an extra gallon of HYGARD I didn’t know about. Hhhmmmm? Yep, filled the front axle with antifreeze. So, I’m not dare going to move the tractor back into the building with an axle full of antifreeze. Had to drain it and refill in the beautiful rain.
    Bad, but still ain't as bad as my buddy who put 10 gallons of diesel in his Vette, that costs him a few coins to get-er fixed.
    He did make it 2 miles down the road before he figured something was wrong with the lack of power and throwing
    big time smoke behind it.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast