• 2 Post By PJR832
  • 1 Post By coalminer16

Thread: tires rim gurd fill help

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 01:17 PM
    Thanks

tires rim gurd fill help

jd 2320 r4 tire with rimguard ballast rear I notice that my tractor will not move in 2wd -rims moving inside tire I check tire pressure was like 0 I add 15psi to both tires Now i wonder if air pressure will hold or tire have to be resealed? Is 15 too much too little -my tires are 40psi max

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    You should be fine. There is really no such thing as resealing the tire. Air pressure simply holds the bead against the rim. 12-15 lbs with liquid ballast should be about right.
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

danmorea (11-14-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You should be fine. There is really no such thing as resealing the tire. Air pressure simply holds the bead against the rim. 12-15 lbs with liquid ballast should be about right.
    If you notice the wheels spin inside the tire check your pressure first thing. More air pressure helps hold the tires on the rims. This is why it's easier to pop a bead at low pressure.

Most of the available space inside your wheel and tire assembly has been taken up with fluid. So very little space remains for air storage. All tires leak air. Usually this happens very slowly. Some faster than others. Dry rot cracks are good for doing this. Seeing your tire is only holding a little air @15 lbs it doesn't take long to end up at zero.

From what I read some of that liquid ballast is good at eating away your valve stem core. This will definitely cause a leak. I'd pull them cores out to see what they look like. Just jack the tire off the ground before removing it.
    fdmars, Tomfive, danmorea and 2 others like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

danmorea (11-14-2017), Robnik (11-14-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    If you notice the wheels spin inside the tire check your pressure first thing. More air pressure helps hold the tires on the rims. This is why it's easier to pop a bead at low pressure.

Most of the available space inside your wheel and tire assembly has been taken up with fluid. So very little space remains for air storage. All tires leak air. Usually this happens very slowly. Some faster than others. Dry rot cracks are good for doing this. Seeing your tire is only holding a little air @15 lbs it doesn't take long to end up at zero.

From what I read some of that liquid ballast is good at eating away your valve stem core. This will definitely cause a leak. I'd pull them cores out to see what they look like. Just jack the tire off the ground before removing it.
    H-D Dealer dude said what I was thinking.
    Last edited by Robnik; 11-14-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 01:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post

from outside they look very good -short solid all brass looking valves no rubber parts at bottom how you see in car valve

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danmorea View Post
    from outside they look very good -short solid all brass looking valves no rubber parts at bottom how you see in car valve
    Sounds like you might have the better stems already.

They make special tools to service the inside core. Then you just unscrew it from inside the stem. Tools can range from a little 4 way that does multiple tasks to a screwdriver style that only does cores. Even some valve stem caps can be used.

If you don't take the load off of the tire. Whatever is inside will want to come outside as soon as you pull that core. lol
    You definitely want to have your valve stem in the 12:00/top position when checking pressure.

Another way to check for leaks is. Mix some dish soap and water. Remove the valve stem cap. Then pour some of the mixture into the valve. You should see bubbles if air is escaping. Provided the tire has air inside it to begin with.
    fdmars and PJR832 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danmorea View Post
    jd 2320 r4 tire with rimguard ballast rear I notice that my tractor will not move in 2wd -rims moving inside tire I check tire pressure was like 0 I add 15psi to both tires Now i wonder if air pressure will hold or tire have to be resealed? Is 15 too much too little -my tires are 40psi max
    Check your owners manual for the correct pressure. 15 sounds low to me. But, I don't have a 2320.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    Check your owners manual for the correct pressure. 15 sounds low to me. But, I don't have a 2320.
    My thoughts too. I don't have your size tractor either but it says 20 and 22lbs. for mine. With liquid in all 4 I run 18lbs in all 4.
    PJR832 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    My thoughts too. I don't have your size tractor either but it says 20 and 22lbs. for mine. With liquid in all 4 I run 18lbs in all 4.
    Exactly my thoughts as well, on a low pressure tire even a few pounds makes more of a difference than most would think. Mine is a different tractor than the OP's but I run the same as Levi, 18 rears/22 fronts year around, also with liquid ballast in all four. If I recall he stated that his tires stated a max of 45 lbs, so in this case 15 lbs is very low pressure to be running, maybe double that see if it corrects the issue.
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:04 PM
    Thanks
    Remember the tire is the suspension too so you don't want them too hard. Fronts with a loader you want higher the you normally would without loader. Kick test is about all I do with low pressure tires.

Not a fan of rimgard any more. Sure it weighs more per gallon then rv antifreeze and doesn't eat the rim like calcium chloride but I have had my stuggles.

Once you have spun the tire on the rim it only gets worse. The stuff is like oil. The sir doesn't leak out but it lbs it up nicely. Had to retire a set of tire with that junk in there. No mater the tire pressure at -20 out the rubber was too hard to create enough friction to keep it from spinning. Thought about screwing the rims to the beads. Now they messed with me again. One of the tires just leaked all over my parts room that was sitting the bead collapsed and let out the fluid. Same set of spinning tires. The newer tires are still holding the beads fine.

I had some fronts filled and clearly told jd not to fill if they had to pull the tubes as the v61 tires need tubes. Nope they filled and pulled the tubes. Then they put the cheap stems in the 6 tires I gave them. Fought the front one year and the cores on all 6 were bad. I changed the rear stems myself but the front required tubes to hold the seals so without air they suck back in and leak. The jd dealer in Marshfield WI Saif they never had had a failure and were kind enough to charge me over $125 to fill the fronts again and not even give me the good stems. Last time I spent $1 there. Worst service and they are one of the multiple brand dealers and the largest tractor is a compact. Funny they never had any stem failures but I had all 6 fail in one year and they installed the stems since the tires all were tubed before.

Off my soap box. I tube the bad tires and put rv antifreeze in. Look for the sales at the home repair centers and buy by the case. Maybe take some adult beverages in the shop when you are filling with tubes through the stem. Around 3-5 minutes per gallon. Without tubes just pop the bead on the side with the stem and dump in. The antifreeze does lub up the rims like the other junk so it stays seated better

Only good thing is warm water cleans up the beat juice easily and isn't toxic.

My personal advice is to never use beat juice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    PJR832 likes this.
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements