• 3 Post By ColonyPark

Thread: Save those foam filter outer covers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts

Save those foam filter outer covers

Despite seemingly using it for everything, I only put around 50 hrs per year on my X500 garden tractor. As such I install a maintenance kit (air filter, plugs, fuel filter) every 100 hrs or every two years. However, I change the engine oil and filter every 25 hrs which is twice a year.

I noticed that it doesn't take very long for the outer foam air filter element to get pretty dirty whereas the inner paper element stays very clean.

So what I've been doing is I saved the foam outer element from my first air filter change and I washed it and let it air dry. Then, every 25 hrs when I change engine oil and filter I swap out the foam filter for a clean one, rinse and repeat.

It seemed silly to throw them away as they are virtually like brand new once you rinse them out and it gives me a nice clean air filter every 25 hrs without purchasing an expensive paper filter. Does anyone else do this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	492882
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (11-23-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Does anyone else do this?
    never had that on my wheel horse. only found out about it on my dad's 318

and yes-i have done the same -wash and let dry-i have several brand news in the garage as extras
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Despite seemingly using it for everything, I only put around 50 hrs per year on my X500 garden tractor. As such I install a maintenance kit (air filter, plugs, fuel filter) every 100 hrs or every two years. However, I change the engine oil and filter every 25 hrs which is twice a year.

I noticed that it doesn't take very long for the outer foam air filter element to get pretty dirty whereas the inner paper element stays very clean.

So what I've been doing is I saved the foam outer element from my first air filter change and I washed it and let it air dry. Then, every 25 hrs when I change engine oil and filter I swap out the foam filter for a clean one, rinse and repeat.

It seemed silly to throw them away as they are virtually like brand new once you rinse them out and it gives me a nice clean air filter every 25 hrs without purchasing an expensive paper filter. Does anyone else do this?

I have done this once with my existing filter. Sometime this summer I washed it.

Just the other day I was going to put my new ones on from my last service kit. Everything else was already installed. Only to find out that the wrap was the wrong size. The inside filter didn't look that bad. So I figured that I would just wash the wrap one more time. When I put the wrap back on afterwards it was to stretched for my liking.

Finally got it exchanged for the right one. Just went out to check. The new wrap fits new filter much better.

Cleaning the wrap every 25 hours is probably overkill. Unless the it gets driven in a lot of dirt.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Thanks

I have a couple spare ones for the Kohler in my L130, and like you I usually swap them out about mid season to help keep the paper filter cleaner- I know the green ones I have catch a lot of bigger stuff along (grass, seeds, leaves,etc.) with a fair amount of fine dirt.

It’s also helpful to have a spare when you find a mouse has eaten halfway thru the one on your machine and you can just replace it instead of opening a whole new filter.
    etcallhome and Herminator like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Cleaning the wrap every 25 hours is probably overkill. Unless the it gets driven in a lot of dirt.
    I agree. But... I'm sitting with my nose 12" from the filter while I wait for the oil to drain and even though the foam element isn't THAT dirty, it does have some debris on it, especially on the bottom side. I wouldn't make a special effort to clean it every 25 hrs but since I already have the hood up - why not? :-)
    Kloudbuster likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    When I bought my used x485 the filter wrap was falling apart, literally crumbling. So I replaced the complete filter. So I have no spare outer foam wraps, I need to order some!

The Owner's Manual for my JD 285 said oil the foam wrap. The manual for x485, says not to oil the wrap I wonder why the change? I am guessing it could mess up the sensors/signals to EFI module. Does anybody oil their foam wrap anyway???
    pcabe5 likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Does anybody oil their foam wrap anyway???
    Typically you don't oil a foam filter when it is over a paper filter as the oil will soak into the paper element and ruin it. It is common to oil a single layer or dual layer foam filter.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    When I bought my used x485 the filter wrap was falling apart, literally crumbling. So I replaced the complete filter. So I have no spare outer foam wraps, I need to order some!

The Owner's Manual for my JD 285 said oil the foam wrap. The manual for x485, says not to oil the wrap I wonder why the change? I am guessing it could mess up the sensors/signals to EFI module. Does anybody oil their foam wrap anyway???
    After washing mine I gave it a quick spray with BelRay foam air filter oil. Use very little and only on the outside surface. No where near the amount I would use for a foam only air filter. Just removed the wrap and no oil whatsoever got on the paper filter.

To use motor oil you generally soak the foam and squeeze out the excess oil before installing it. This would definitely leave enough to wreck the paper filter.
    Dedicated foam filter oil is far superior to engine oil.

Normally putting on a foam or gauze air filter dry is bad. Because the small particles can pass right through it. However the paper element is there to stop the small stuff.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts

Been doing it for years on our 314-8 Wheel Horse.
    etcallhome and pcabe5 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 988 Posts
    Yep always wash and reuse here too
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and pcabe5 like this.
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements