Thread: The New GTT Tire Grooving Tool Lending Program

1. Top | #81
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RacenJason View Post
    Hey Pat,
    what do you think, jdforever wants to throw his groover in the mix? do you think making a second list or just keep as is with the one groover? Either way I am good, don't want to break the rules or make someone mad. thanks
    Good question. . I would be leaning towards a new list so the costs get spread out like the original. But I'm open to suggestions from you guys on what you think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #82

Last Online
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    Good question. . I would be leaning towards a new list so the costs get spread out like the original. But I'm open to suggestions from you guys on what you think.
    I have one as well I may be willing to throw in the "pool"! I'd say keep it all in one thread, the tools will be paid off quickly and most of the posts will eventually just passing it on to the next guy.

So I bought one of these to do the tires on our vehicles! I had BFG KM2's on an old jeep and had them center siped(to prevent chunking on the edges).

I think we should talk patterns and technique more! Also there's a difference between grooving a tire and siping a tire, so far I've only seen grooved tires. Has anyone siped a tire on their tractor?

So this is a typical winter tire:

Click for full res

This is a new Duratrac (winter/mud hybrid)

Click for full res

These are some old Duratracs I was given and I revived. I regrooved the original patterns that were no loger showing and then siped them. These have better traction on ice than the brand new ones!

Click for full res

Grooved and siped on the right just siped on the left

Click for full res

close up of only siping

Click for full res

You can also do this with a sawzall but it eats blades, is a lot more labor and slower lol

Click for full res

And won't look as nice...lol

Click for full res

I'm still reading through Ken's thread...sorry if it's answered there.
    Last edited by rcguymike; 11-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    johnH123 and GreenBlood like this.
    --2019 3032e, FEL & 370B Backhoe | implements: SB1154, RT1157, [boxblade and landscape rake on backorder], custom "heavy hitch", ranchex quick'tach, custom made rock bucket
    --Used extensively: 1022, 2006? 3032e
    --[sold]"renting" to own: 1023e, FEL, landscape rake[sold]

4. Top | #83

Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Thanks
    Yeah I would say one thread with 2 lists might be the way to go. I am sure it will get confusing at times. So I think I will get with jdforever and get his tool going in the mix, if that's alright? thanks
    Tractor (2038R) with stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #84
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Thanks
    Hey guys, I've been patiently waiting to see if you want to put my new groover into the mix. If not, I want to list it for sale in the Swap Meet thread. There might be someone that prefers to own their own tool. Just didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Let me know what you're thinking.

Thanks,
    GREG
    aka: jdforever
    RacenJason likes this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

7. Top | #85
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    Hey guys, I've been patiently waiting to see if you want to put my new groover into the mix. If not, I want to list it for sale in the Swap Meet thread. There might be someone that prefers to own their own tool. Just didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Let me know what you're thinking.

Thanks,
    GREG
    aka: jdforever
    Sold
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

8. Top | #86

Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks

Tire Groover

Is this thread dead? I read post 1 and I know I do not have 40 posts yet but I am thinking about more traction. Grooving my R4s is probably something I want to do before winter. The days are getting shorter!

9. Top | #87
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm240 View Post
    Is this thread dead?
    Good question

PCABE5 hasn't been around lately, he bought a Blue tractor, and I think the tool got lost along the way anyway.

Maybe he'll get an email if he's subscribed to this thread.
    kylew likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #88

Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks
    I am interested because of the remarkable difference grooving made to my zero turn tires. I used a circular saw to groove each tread block and the traction was significantly improved. I can hold mowing across my ditch and I could not before the mod. I also filled the tires with washer fluid, which is another tip learned from this forum

If you squint the paint looks green...

I'll wait to hear if a groove is out there for sale or loan...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZTR tire groove.jpg  
    rtgt, kylew and Toughsox like this.

11. Top | #89
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm240 View Post
    I am interested because of the remarkable difference grooving made to my zero turn tires. I used a circular saw to groove each tread block and the traction was significantly improved. I can hold mowing across my ditch and I could not before the mod. I also filled the tires with washer fluid, which is another tip learned from this forum

If you squint the paint looks green...

I'll wait to hear if a groove is out there for sale or loan...
    rjm240, did you ever find a grooving tool?

I'm considering buying one to groove my tires before it gets too cold outside. Anyone out there that wants to loan or sell?

Or anyone that'd be interested starting this thread up again after I'm done, if I buy one?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 and rtgt like this.

12. Top | #90
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Thanks

Siping vs Grooving

I've got R4's I grooved on the rear of my 2520 and it made a significant improvement. I would like to see more discussion on the patterns used and more on siping vs grooving. There may be more I can to improve my tires. Also, I purchased my own tool and would really like to know if I need something to sipe?? My fronts are worn and I haven't grooved them for fear of having to little rubber left. Any word on how little is too little before modifying??

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast