Green Tractor Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The New GTT Tire Grooving Tool Lending Program

24K views 105 replies 22 participants last post by  Kennyd 
#1 ·
So a lot of us have an interest in grooving our R4 tires for better winter traction but the $85 for a tire grooving tool that you’re going to use just once seems like kind of a steep price to pay.

Instead of a rental tool, we are going to provide a traveling tool for the community. The first guy buys the tool outright and does the work. Then the second guy paid the first guy $10 less than the original cost of the tool plus the cost of shipping from guy 1 to guy 2. Guy 2 knocks $10 off what he spent and sells it on to guy 3 (who also pays shipping). Basically, once the tool moves on, each guy has spent $10 plus the cost of shipping to get to use the tool. This way, if the tool breaks, someone loses it, someone steals it, UPS has an oops, etc no one guy is out the whole cost of the tool. Eventually, the tool is “paid off” and it travels around the country for just the cost of shipping from guy to guy. The cost of replacement blades will also have to be factored in. If you happen to be the guy that gets the groover and you notice it needs blades, order the blades, ship the groover with the new blades, and add it to the cost for the guy downstream minus your $10 use fee.

Rule #1, the most important rule,
There is an inherent risk in doing this, but by signing up you agree this could not always have the best outcome. As a member in good standing you will try to help out the next guy as best as you can within reason and within this setup. Please respect the other members here on the list and provide accurate information in this thread.

Rule #2,
Pcabe5 has volunteered to oversee this. At anytime there is a question or some confusion, please post to the thread here or contact him through a PM. :good2: Please remember to be respectful to others by not posting personal info here in the main forum. This is a volunteered deal on everyone's end.

Here’s how this works:

1) Sign up to get the tool on the list here, use the list to keep a running count of how much each person needs to pay.. To sign up you must have a minimum of 40 posts and you must be an active member. You must be accessible via PM while you have the groover. Copy the current list in your post and simply add your name to the end. You must also include a simple statement saying you agree to the terms in post #1 of this thread. This way we know you read this post and actually agree.

2) When the tool comes to you, do the work quickly as reasonably possible.

3) If the groover needs new blades, order new blades and add to the cost for the next guy minus your use. Include the new blades in the groover kit.

4) Contact the next guy on the list via PM to get his shipping info and tell him how much it’ll cost to ship from you to him. If you can't contact him after 2 weeks, move to the next guy down the list.

5) Accept payment from the next guy however you like.

6) Come back to this thread and post that you shipped it, what the destination city/state is, and what the tracking number is.

7) Repeat until everyone’s tires are grooved.

8) If you are the last person with the groover and the list seems exhausted, ship the groover back to pcabe5 or dieselshadow for the next user.

9) Do not sign up unless you can follow these simple rules and guidelines. :hi:

Here is a fresh list:

1) John Deere 1025R TLB

2) GreenBlood

3) Johninthecamper

I will order and provide the groover to the first person on the list to kick this off. :thumbup1gif: I will also edit this post later to add part numbers for the blades and where to get them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let the fun begin!

I'll send a PM to the first guy on the list, John Deere 1025R TLB, and make sure he's still onboard. :good2:

#6 · (Edited)
Ok guys, one of our great members, Bulitt, is willing to place his groover into the GTT pass a long. Thanks you Bulitt.[emoji106]

Here is the information on the groover:

There are 11 new blades plus the one on the groover which is in good shape.
It is an "Ideal" groover http://www.idealtiregroover.com/
And blades are - No 4 Round Standard.
Also I will be including the operating instructions.

Bulitt's cost was $75, so this means that the first person will pay $65 plus shipping.

So if you're interested please add your name to the list.

- Bullit ($75)

1) John Deere 1025R TLB

2) GreenBlood

3) Johninthecamper

#7 ·
John Deere 1025R TLB - Tried to PM you but your inbox is full and cannot accept new PM's.

Can you send me your address and I will get the groover headed your way!
Thx!
Bob

Wear a good pair of leather gloves just incase you inadvertently touch the iron.

Attachments

#8 ·
I must’ve been able to sneak in a PM before his inbox was full. We’ll give him some time to respond before we go to GreenBlood. :good2:

#9 · (Edited)
Go to next guy first. I don't know when I will have time. Spring is the next time I will have vacation. Working about 85 hours a week. Benifits of salary. Why I'm not here a lot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Replied! Should ship tomorrow!
Thx
Bob

#16 · (Edited)
Pretty cool idea! Really selling the groover to the next person in line. If something happens to the groover no previous owner is out any money!

Found the Threads on tire grooving in this forum very helpful-

In particular Kenny's -
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tractor-equipment-maintenance/17633-r4-tire-siping-grooving-improved-traction.html

Read and follow the manufacturers instructions and warnings. Please send these to the next owner.
Wear proper personal protective equipment. Glasses, mask, leather gloves, etc.
Work in a well ventilated area.
Be careful where you set this tool down- it gets very hot.
Deflate your tire first. Pressurized tires can be very dangerous!
The blades are sharpenend on one side and helps to install correctly.
If the groover arrives with the blade installed don't assume it is set for the correct depth for your tire. Most certainly tire depths vary due to age, manufacturer, and type of tire.
Be Safe!

#17 ·
Sold and shipped to "Greenblood" one used Ideal Tire Groover, in original packaging, with 11 new blades, Manufacturers Instructions and Warnings included.
As-is condition.

PM sent with tracking number!

:good2:

#19 ·
2nd Ideal tire groover

I've acquired a used tire groover but it does not have the instructions with it. Would it be possible to PM me with a copy of the instructions for the unit being passed along now?

If not, no biggie as it appears to be quite straight forward. Wish we had a response to my posts on the first thread or I would not have purchased this unit and rejoined the new traveling one instead.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks

Thank you for posting the instruction page.

I grooved three of four tires today. i'm pretty sore right now from the effort. I did something really dumb, I inserted the blade backwards so I was pushing, really hard, dull side first. After about a dozen lugs I had a moment of inspiration and thought to check the blade, wow, it did work better with the sharp side first.:banghead: I also changed my extension cord from a 14 gauge to a 10 gauge. I think it may have allowed the tool to become hot more quickly but it could also be my imagination. Mrs. srsvii noted the strange smell and all the rubber debris on the garage floor when she returned home from work.

I'm excited to see how much the traction improves with grooving when we have a big snow. I don't like to have to use chains or put them on. Too much work. I did plow one four inch snow fall but that wasn't too much of a trial.

Merry Christmas folks.

P.S. My unit was used and well used apparently. The set screw that holds the head in place was distorted and didn't hold the cutting head securely allowing it to rotate making grooving an adventure. I replaced it with a bolt. I found that the three inch bolt doubled as a hanging tool to hang the iron upside down so the heat remained in the cutting end as I hung the tool by the bolt in my vise. Didn't plan it that way but it worked out quite well plus it doubles as an aiming sight........well, I tried for and extra benefit, right?

#22 ·
Got the groover today. Thanks Bulitt. :good2: Can't wait to get it fired up!

Johninthecamper - give me about a week or so. Lots of comings and goings with the holidays these next several days.

I haven't 100% made up my mind on the pattern I'll use - will share some pictures when done.

Have a good Christmas everyone!!

PS - BIG THANKS to all the delivery folks out there working their butts off this time of year.

#25 · (Edited)
Ok, I was deciding on whether to buy one myself, but it looks like the list is not too long..

EDIT: No I just talked to out tire guy and he has one he uses so I'll try his first...

Off the list, I'm on vacation this week and I want to get this done asap, its a royal pain backing up my hill/drive when clearing snow at night.

#35 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.