So a lot of us have an interest in grooving our R4 tires for better winter traction but the $85 for a tire grooving tool that you’re going to use just once seems like kind of a steep price to pay.
Instead of a rental tool, we are going to provide a traveling tool for the community. The first guy buys the tool outright and does the work. Then the second guy paid the first guy $10 less than the original cost of the tool plus the cost of shipping from guy 1 to guy 2. Guy 2 knocks $10 off what he spent and sells it on to guy 3 (who also pays shipping). Basically, once the tool moves on, each guy has spent $10 plus the cost of shipping to get to use the tool. This way, if the tool breaks, someone loses it, someone steals it, UPS has an oops, etc no one guy is out the whole cost of the tool. Eventually, the tool is “paid off” and it travels around the country for just the cost of shipping from guy to guy. The cost of replacement blades will also have to be factored in. If you happen to be the guy that gets the groover and you notice it needs blades, order the blades, ship the groover with the new blades, and add it to the cost for the guy downstream minus your $10 use fee.
Rule #1, the most important rule,
There is an inherent risk in doing this, but by signing up you agree this could not always have the best outcome. As a member in good standing you will try to help out the next guy as best as you can within reason and within this setup. Please respect the other members here on the list and provide accurate information in this thread.
Pcabe5 has volunteered to oversee this. At anytime there is a question or some confusion, please post to the thread here or contact him through a PM. Please remember to be respectful to others by not posting personal info here in the main forum. This is a volunteered deal on everyone's end.
Here’s how this works:
1) Sign up to get the tool on the list here, use the list to keep a running count of how much each person needs to pay.. To sign up you must have a minimum of 40 posts and you must be an active member. You must be accessible via PM while you have the groover. Copy the current list in your post and simply add your name to the end. You must also include a simple statement saying you agree to the terms in post #1 of this thread. This way we know you read this post and actually agree.
2) When the tool comes to you, do the work quickly as reasonably possible.
3) If the groover needs new blades, order new blades and add to the cost for the next guy minus your use. Include the new blades in the groover kit.
4) Contact the next guy on the list via PM to get his shipping info and tell him how much it’ll cost to ship from you to him. If you can't contact him after 2 weeks, move to the next guy down the list.
5) Accept payment from the next guy however you like.
6) Come back to this thread and post that you shipped it, what the destination city/state is, and what the tracking number is.
7) Repeat until everyone’s tires are grooved.
8) If you are the last person with the groover and the list seems exhausted, ship the groover back to pcabe5 or dieselshadow for the next user.
9) Do not sign up unless you can follow these simple rules and guidelines.
Here is a fresh list:
1) John Deere 1025R TLB
I will order and provide the groover to the first person on the list to kick this off. I will also edit this post later to add part numbers for the blades and where to get them.