Fuel gelling due to location of fuel filter?
Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By PJR832
  • 4 Post By dieselshadow
  • 3 Post By coaltrain
  • 1 Post By RonPol
  • 1 Post By tomd999
  • 2 Post By ejb69
  • 1 Post By HouseMouse

Thread: Fuel gelling due to location of fuel filter?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts

Fuel gelling due to location of fuel filter?

I notice quite a few 1-series folks are experiencing fuel gelling in the in-line fuel filter that is under the floor. I've also read instances where the fuel has gelled in very cold temperatures even while the tractor is in use.

It caused me to wonder if the location of the fuel filter could be contributing to the cold weather fuel problems. On my 2720 both the spin-on fuel filter and the water separator are right next to the engine. So while in operation both the spin-on filter and plastic screen in the water separator are getting some heat from the engine. It may not be much, but it is certainly more heat than down under the floorboard.

The same could be said concerning the location of the fuel tank. The 1-series (and new 2-series) tanks are back under the fenders where there is zero heat whereas the previous 2-series are located under the hood where it would be subjected to the heat from the engine.

Now these might just be the mindless ramblings of someone whose brain has gotten cold but it certainly caused me to go hmmmmmmm.
    fdmars, Tomfive, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,305 Posts
    I don’t think it mindless rambling, makes perfect sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tomfive likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,611 Posts
    Without fuel recirculating or some way to duct heat to those fuel lines and tank, yes, they are subject to the cold weather.

I don’t think there’s any good way to protect them or heat them up. If the fuel is rated for the temp, the operator shouldn’t have any trouble.

That being said, some tractors like the 2720 could easily be set to accept some engine heat and it also has recirculated (warmed) fuel running back to the tank. I think I would limit the airflow going over the radiator by blocking it off to some degree and close off the side of the hood. As long as you have a temp gauge and monitor it, I don’t see much risk. In fact, that’s exactly what I would do if I needed to use my 2720 in the stupid cold.
    pcabe5, Ray_PA, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,304 Posts
    It seems the price you pay to have the fuel tank in the fender.

But, I find that filter ridiculously small. Yeah - I’m sure Deere engineers say it is fine, but it looks like it belongs on a push mower. So I wonder if the small size has anything to do with it (gelling).

I honestly think at least 1/2 the 1-series gelling incidents in the past cold snap came from poor fuel habits like not keeping the tank full and/or lack of knowledge about diesel fuel in general. Buying fresh fuel and treating it properly probably would have avoided a lot of these issues.
    fdmars, Ray_PA and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    The fuel is already gelled in the tank before it reaches the filter. The paraffin is floating around in the fuel in small droplets that are too big to go through the filter media. Then they collect on the media until it's plugged. When the tractor is running there should be enough fuel flow to allow the fuel through the fuel lines without it gelling. The plastic fuel lines and filter are insulated somewhat by the nature of there construction and the fuel is in the line for a very short period of time. The fix is simple always use properly winterized fuel and don't rely on the supplier to do it for you.
    Ron
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Yes, the filter not being next to the warm engine will tend to cause it to plug sooner if the fuel is to the point of clouding, however, even if the filter was right next to the engine, it's still going to plug quickly even if there is no clouding issues. Deere spec'd the filter at 7 microns, for a filter that's the first pass filter, this is a rather small rating.

If I was specing this out, I would have put a 30 micron metal screen serviceable element with a thermostat controlled heater in it, then I would send that fuel to a water separator then finally to a 3 micron spin on cartridge type. Of course, I don't make a lot of friends in accounting....

And whoever said its a fuel treatment issue, your right too. Fuel tanks are remote from the engine bay and thus subject to ambient temps on the vast majority of cars, trucks, tractors and other equipment. I was out with my tractor this morning, it was -7 F, the other day cleaning up after the blizzard it was -12 F, the fuel tank on my tractor is right by the rear wheel, I had no issues.

In this case with the first pass filter being right at the tank you need to be careful with your fuel, always treat for the lowest expected temps and always fill through a paint strainer. These 2 steps will make your filter last longer and save you grief when it gets cold.
    Last edited by tomd999; 01-07-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Thanks
    I think its got more to do with untreated fuel and the prolonged cold than the filter location.
    fdmars and PJR832 like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks
    Yes, I agree the filter under the floor board is a pain and very small. Proper fuel management seems to be the key to prevent issues including Gelling. Not saying what I do is gospel but, never had an issue. -12 on Saturday it started and performed without a hitch.... (although my short drive shaft on the 54" blower failed), I make sure my fuel is stored off the floor and is treated with a name brand Winter Formula, namely Howes or Power Service.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements