• 1 Post By SulleyBear
  • 1 Post By coaltrain

Thread: 1023e Maintenance

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-16-2019 @ 10:12 AM
    Thanks

1023e Maintenance

Last Feb (17) I received my used 2014 1023e from the dealer. It had 228hrs on it then, it now has 278.
    Should I treat the used tractor as it got all it's services it should of gotten at its current hr/age?
    I would contact the dealer but I don't think they would keep such info on one particular sale.

Haven't done any greasing yet or any vital fluid changes. I am checking the manual but thought I would ask here as well.
    Last edited by Mainetractorboy; 02-03-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    keane and Drifterbike like this.
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    60" Auto-connect mower deck w/JD mulching kit
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    47" John Deere 2 stage snow eater
    48" Titan forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    If you don't know what service was done I would do it all. The service is cheap compared to what the results of not doing it could be. Besides doing it yourself is a great way to get to know your tractor. Do the service and have an enjoyable afternoon getting to know your workhorse.
    Ray_PA, keane, Jeff B and 3 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    As the other poster mentioned, if you do not have an accurate service record and there are not even dates written on the various filters then by all means do a complete service and fluid change. Not only will this provide a baseline for future maintenance but it will also allow you to verify the condition of the existing fluids, filters and other maintenance items.

Did the selling dealer provide you with any type of warranty? Hopefully everything will look fine but in the unlikely event that you encounter something that is a potential issue, the sooner you bring it up with the dealer the better.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    If you don't know what service was done I would do it all. The service is cheap compared to what the results of not doing it could be. Besides doing it yourself is a great way to get to know your tractor. Do the service and have an enjoyable afternoon getting to know your workhorse.
    I would have typed the exact same thing

To the OP,

It is relatively cheap if you are doing it yourself and you'll have peace of mind knowing exactly where you stand on maintenance. Also, if you didn't notice, there's a quick reference for scheduled maintenance on the underside of the hood in case you don't have your manual handy.

Greasing various zerks also can be dependent on use, not just the recommended interval checks, so if you're using the loader heavy for a landscaping project (example) would be a good idea to check before and after. Have fun with it!
    Mainetractorboy likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainetractorboy View Post
    Last Feb (17) I received my used 2014 1023e from the dealer. It had 228hrs on it then, it now has 278.
    Should I treat the used tractor as it got all it's services it should of gotten at its current hr/age?
    I would contact the dealer but I don't think they would keep such info on one particular sale.

Haven't done any greasing yet or any vital fluid changes. I am checking the manual but thought I would ask here as well.
    When in doubt, service it. You can't do any harm with fluid and filter changes / services and it gives you a good baseline going forward.

If it were mine and the circumstances are as you describe, I would buy the Deere "Filter Pack" and change them all. Make sure to also change out the fuel filters while you are at it and pick up a spare set of fuel filters for your spare parts / tool box as you want to have spares in case you have an issue. That way you can get the machine up and running again promptly instead of having to go get the fuel filters when needed.

Make sure to Use the Deere Low Viscosity Hydrostatic Fluid and you might as well purchase it in the 5 gallon bucket, as it's the most economical way to purchase the fluid and you will use more than half of it to change the hydro fluid. You will need 13 quarts of hydro fluid and buying it in gallons is more expensive and you would have to purchase 4 gallon jugs to have enough and some spare fluid. In many dealers, the 5 gallon bucket is cheaper than buying (4) 1 gallon jugs of the same.

The rest of the fluid is handy to have on hand to top off the system when you change implements and connect and disconnect hydraulic lines over time. Plus the empty buckets are great for transporting the old fluid from engine oil and hydraulic oil changes to the recycle center or to someone who may heat with an waste oil burner, etc.

When you do the hydro change, make sure you have a large volume catch pan which will fit under the tractor as you will be getting 13 quarts of fluid out of the hydro system. Once the fluid starts to flow, it's not the time to learn your catch pan is too small as that makes for a big mess.

Of course, make sure to heat up the fluid by running the tractor a few minutes before service as it permits the fluid to drain faster and more completely. Also, once you pull the drain plug from the rear end, make sure to open the fill point under your seat as it will allow the fluid to empty faster once you have removed the fill cap. Do the same when changing the engine oil, remove the fill cap and even the dip stick to speed up the fluid draining.

Although I have various different oil / fluid change catch containers, I bought this one on Amazon and it works GREAT for preventing any mess and handling all of the fluid. Plus it fits under the entire rear end of the tractor (several of my other oil drain pans wouldn't fit under the tractor rear axle) and catches everything........Very handy for servicing these units. And it dumps cleanly. It's easier to dump a partially full fluid catch container than one filled to the brim with dirty old fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys.
    I am going to start with greasing everything. I want to get that tip that locks on the fitting. Anyone know if they sell one at HFreight?
    Roughly how much is the fluid changing going to run me?
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    48" Titan forks

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainetractorboy View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I am going to start with greasing everything. I want to get that tip that locks on the fitting. Anyone know if they sell one at HFreight?
    Roughly how much is the fluid changing going to run me?
    Lock n lube is not sold at Harbor Freight. I think most people buy them on Amazon. Here is their website - use the dealer locator to see if anyone near you stocks it.

https://locknlube.com
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Lock n lube is not sold at Harbor Freight. I think most people buy them on Amazon. Here is their website - use the dealer locator to see if anyone near you stocks it.

https://locknlube.com
    That's the one Thanks.
    2014 1023e John Deere
    H120 Loader
    49" Frontier Tiller 1149
    48" Titan forks

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements