Like Tree26Likes

Thread: grease for Backhoe

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks

grease for Backhoe

I have a 485A backhoe coming in a few days

I found the operators manual on the JD website and looking at its grease requirements JD recommends HD Moly Grease. Of course this is different than my tractor and loader which I use the JD recommended SD Polyurea Grease, I also use this grease in all my trailer wheel bearings, tie rods end, ball joints, etc as this grease is GC-LB (chassis & bearing) rated. Makes things simple.

I would really prefer to use a single grease for everything, not sure if that is possible with the moly requirements of the backhoe.

Any ideas?
    2017 4044R Open Station, eHydro, iMatch, H180 MSL loader & R4's.
    Power Beyond (BLV10969), 3rd EH SCV (BLV10764),
    John Deere 485A Backhoe with HD 18" Bucket & mechanical thumb,
    Frontier AP12F 48" Pallet Forks, BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072 Rotary Cutter,
    PHD200 Post Hole Digger w/12" Auger, Titan Ballast Box, FIMCO 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    OMLVU23696_E0

The manual actually gives a lengthy list of applicable greases for use starting with the (preferred) moly grease you mention-however it goes on to list JD multipurpose grease as an equivalent. IMHO JD Poly grease is great stuff and easily surpasses the multipurpose properties so should be completely safe to use on your new BH. Use with no worries and enjoy the net toy.... errrr... TOOL!
    Robnik likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    I don’t have a backhoe but I use the poly for everything. It is a very high rated grease with great test numbers. It should be fine. I use it on my loader as do many of the members here, same kind of work and pressures.
    Drifterbike and Robnik like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    I think the main issue is not whether the polyurea grease is suitable for the purpose, but whether it is compatible with the moly grease already present such that mixing the two doesn't precipitate the base oils out of the soap, leaving you with effectively no lubrication at all. In my 30 second Googling of grease compatibility I could not find anything regarding polyurea compatibility with molybdenum. I ain't no tribologist, so that's probably b/c I don't know what the chemistry of moly grease is actually called.

You're going to be looking for something like this. I note that polyurea is incompatible with almost every other grease on this chart.

Al

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,578 Posts
    Right or wrong...I use the JD polyura grease on everything. Even using the wrong grease frequently is better than no grease LOL
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    I will just toss this out there as general wisdom. It may help you in deciding what grease you want to use where.

The Moly in Moly Grease is typically Molybdenum disulfide. This is that black type of grease that is hard to get off your hands. Now in most applications that recommend it, there is something about the properties of this grease that could make it better than other types of grease. While any grease is better than no grease, one could also argue that there is a reason there is more than one option when it comes to grease.

In a back hoe application and one could argue that a FEL is probably a similar application, there are a few properties that make Moly Grease the preferred grease. For instance, molybdenum disulfide is used as a solid lubricant and a high-pressure high-temperature (HPHT) antiwear agent. It forms strong films on metallic surfaces and is a common additive to HPHT greases — in the event of a catastrophic grease failure, a thin layer of molybdenum prevents contact of the lubricated parts.

It is added at times to graphite. It works well at providing lubrication under heavy loads. So those flex points/pins on something like a BH or FEL. While traditional grease can get pushed out of the way so you still have metal to metal contact, this is less likely with grease that contains higher % of molybdenum disulfide.

Ultimately it is your piece of a equipment. I have lots of things around that have grease zerks. I tend to go with what the engineer that designed the product tells me to go with. Does it suck having to deal with multiple grease types? Sure, it would be easier to just have one. But you know, grease doesn't go bad. If it is something that gets lots of use like repacking the wheel bearings on the camper and other trailers, well I have a pneumatic grease gun for that and buy the stuff by the case. When it comes to applications that get a shot here and there every month or so, then I pick up two tubes of it. One in a dedicated grease gun that has been marked so I know what it is, and one spare for when I am half way through greasing something and run out.

I normally buy a nice grease gun like this Lincoln Lubrication but there are cheaper clones for about half the money.

In the case of motorcycles I have a few bikes and one of the weak points on one of mine is the spline where the rear wheel attaches to the final drive. Too many people don't use the proper grease which calls for at least a grease containing 80% molybdenum disulfide. Well after about 50K miles they are finding the splines worn. Well you can replace the spline on the rear wheel for about $100 but in the process of wearing out it also damages the final drive side. That is a little more expensive at closer to $1200. They were using grease, just not the right kind thinking any old grease will be fine. I can buy a small tube which gets applied by a cheap tooth brush (so no gun even needed) anytime the rear wheel is off for a tire, brake job or anything else. I think I can buy a tube for $15 that lasts for 100 applications easy.
    rtgt, OxPath, keane and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    12-12-2018 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    OMLVU23696_E0

The manual actually gives a lengthy list of applicable greases for use starting with the (preferred) moly grease you mention-however it goes on to list JD multipurpose grease as an equivalent. IMHO JD Poly grease is great stuff and easily surpasses the multipurpose properties so should be completely safe to use on your new BH. Use with no worries and enjoy the net toy.... errrr... TOOL!
    Interesting that the manual you linked to (for the 375 backhoe) has many more grease options than the newer 375A, 385A and my 485A manual OMLVU34840

The 375 Backhoe manual says you can use these (however none of these JD greases appear available any longer)

• John Deere Moly High Temperature EP Grease.
    • John Deere High Temperature EP Grease.
    • John Deere GREASE-GARD™.
    Other greases may be used are:
    SAE Multipurpose EP Grease with 3 to 5 percent molybdenum disulfide.
    SAE Multipurpose EP Grease.

The 375A/385A/485A manual says:

John Deere HD Moly Grease is preferred.
    Other greases may be used if they meet the following: NLGI Performance Classification GC-LB with 3–5% molybdenum disulfide

I currently use the JD Polyurea grease (with my recently acquired 18V Milwaukee cordless grease gun with Lock-n-Lube!! I should have bought this years ago )as it is called out in the H180 FEL and 4044R manual as the preferred grease, and is the factory fill grease for these, plus I can use it for wheel bearings, ball joints, etc..

I would have assumed that grease suitable for a FEL would be the same for a Backhoe, but for whatever reason JD seems to think otherwise. Not sure if it because of possible 'shock loading' on a Backhoe vs a FEL?

I found a 70 page JD Oil & Grease guide from Oct 2015 that goes into some detail on all their current greases (and oils, coolants, etc) which has some interesting info. I'll attach that. Not sure which way to go.

-steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    rtgt, OxPath, Drifterbike and 2 others like this.
    2017 4044R Open Station, eHydro, iMatch, H180 MSL loader & R4's.
    Power Beyond (BLV10969), 3rd EH SCV (BLV10764),
    John Deere 485A Backhoe with HD 18" Bucket & mechanical thumb,
    Frontier AP12F 48" Pallet Forks, BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072 Rotary Cutter,
    PHD200 Post Hole Digger w/12" Auger, Titan Ballast Box, FIMCO 3pt Sprayer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stevepsd For This Useful Post:

trboxman (02-17-2018)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-28-2019 @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks

Thanks

Steve,
    Thanks for the JD Oil Pub. It is very helpful and I must admit I'm one who has followed JD advise!
    Leo
    rtgt likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepsd View Post
    I have a 485A backhoe coming in a few days

I found the operators manual on the JD website and looking at its grease requirements JD recommends HD Moly Grease. Of course this is different than my tractor and loader which I use the JD recommended SD Polyurea Grease, I also use this grease in all my trailer wheel bearings, tie rods end, ball joints, etc as this grease is GC-LB (chassis & bearing) rated. Makes things simple.

I would really prefer to use a single grease for everything, not sure if that is possible with the moly requirements of the backhoe.

Any ideas?
    I've been using John Deere High-temperature, extreme-pressure grease, TY6333 for over 30 years for everything tractor related.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/d...ose_HD_Lithium
    rtgt likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Thanks
    I use SuperLube with PTFE. It's the same as the Multi Purpose Extreme Duty Synthetic Grease on page 25 of the JD oil guide linked earlier and is referenced in the owners manual for my 2038R as the preferred grease for all grease points on the chassis. I've been using it for years in drive line and suspension components on offroad vehicles and high performance cars. I like that I never get separation of the base oils, it doesn't stain and I've never seen it break down within the service interval of the parts I've used it on.
    rtgt likes this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast