• 2 Post By greenblinker
  • 3 Post By johncanfield

Thread: DIY Tire Ballast – Lessons Learned

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks

DIY Tire Ballast – Lessons Learned

After a lot of research I purchased 42 gallons of -20 windshield washer fluid to load the rear tires on my 2520. Looked like no big deal:

-Jack up rear of tractor enough to take weight off wheels
    -Remove the valve stem core
    -Wait for all the air to drain from the tire
    -Install valve stem to garden hose adaptor
    -Place submersible pump in 5 gallon bucket and attach to adapter
    -Keep bucket full of fluid and purge air from tire when necessary
    -After filling tire to 75% (21 gallons in my case) replace valve stem core and air up to +/- 22psi
    -Win

In reality it went more like this:

-Jack up rear of tractor

-Remove the valve stem core
    I hit my first road block immediately after removing the valve stem core. The tire appeared to shrink away from the rim considerably. I have a 60 gallon compressor that I can usually reseat a bead with however this time it wasn’t happening. To get it to seat I had to use a combination of 2 things.
    (1) A ratchet strap to compress the tire and push the bead towards the rim
    (2) The ball valve assembly I made for the pump to allow enough air flow. The standard tire filler wasn’t getting it done.

-Wait for all the air to drain from the tire
    I learned to leave some air in the tire to keep the bead on. It took some trial and error having enough air but not too much to overwhelm my pump.

-Install valve stem to garden hose adaptor
    My setup goes like this: Valve stem adaptor > ½” garden hose to npt ball valve > reducer > ¼” male quick connect air fitting.

¼ female quick connect > reducer > ½” npt to garden hose adaptor > homemade clear garden hose to see presence of fluid > pump

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3726.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	580289

-Place submersible pump in 5 gallon bucket and attach to adapter

-Keep bucket full of fluid and purge air from tire when necessary
    I found it difficult to close the ball valve and unplug the pump at the same time so I made a remote control with some parts I had laying around. I used an old switch dongle to control a relay that powered the pump. When I noticed the pump slowing down I would stop and purge the air and resume pumping. I believe this process took about a ½ Hr for the second wheel.

-After filling tire to 75% (21 gallons in my case) replace valve stem core and air up to +/- 22psi

-Beer

Believe it or not thats the short version of what happened.
    2011' John Deere 2520, 62D Mower Deck, 61" Materials Bucket, 42" Frontline Pallet Forks, Imatch Quick Hitch, Ballast box W/Extension

1995 John Deere 455 AWS (For Sale)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,964 Times in 2,476 Posts
    Good stuff, thanks for the write up

I am doing my tires (hopefully) soon and this is the method I plan on using, except I bought two 55gal drums of WWF.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Thanks
    I did that job myself too. I didn’t use a pump. I zipped tied a large funnel to the tractor, rigged up some hosing and let gravity do it’s thing. It took longer than I expected, but I was able to do it in a single evening after work. If I do this again will likely take the wheels off the tractor,break one bead and poor in the ww fluid. The most time consuming part of the job for me was bleeding the air from the tire while filling.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Laying the tires on their side helped considerably. I didn’t have the bead trying to pop off.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    I went a slightly different route on my X585. I removed the wheel, broke the bead on one side, grabbed a small screwdriver (like a #1 Phillips, cross point, whatever you want to call it) and shoved the plastic handle between the rim and the tire to maintain a gap. Laying the wheel flat on the ground with the open side up means you just pour it in. I opened a jug of fluid and poured it in about as fast as I could. I spilled a little but it wasn't a big deal. If I was worried about it I could have used a funnel or I could have taken my time but it didn't matter. I found out quickly I didn't buy anywhere near enough fluid. I think I bought 2 cases of 6. The X585 tires are not that big so I was picturing a 5 gallon pail and it would be a little more than that. 6 Gallons in I was debating on do I keep going and head back to the store for more or just put 6 gallons in each wheel? I opted to keep going since then I would know how much more to get. I forget how much I put in as this was quite a few years ago. I think it was about 9-10 gallons per wheel. I also have a 60 gallon compressor. I have had to do the trick with the tie down straps to get a bead to seat with other wheels but I didn't have any issues like that. It also might has seated the bead a little easier since it was wet. I have had more of an issue with this in the past as well. I upgraded my air lines to bigger ones which increased the flow quite a bit.

Oh one more step. I have a platform style motorcycle lift. So I put the wheel up there so I didn't have to work down on the ground. I hate working on the ground if I don't have to.
    Last edited by sennister; 03-30-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    BigJim55, Neb, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    I’m jealous of you guys that were able to lay the tires down and just pour in the good stuff. That sounds way better! I’m not kidding as soon as the air was gone from the tire it shrank like a rubber band. I had doubts about it ever fitting the rim again lol.
    Kennyd and BigJim55 like this.
    2011' John Deere 2520, 62D Mower Deck, 61" Materials Bucket, 42" Frontline Pallet Forks, Imatch Quick Hitch, Ballast box W/Extension

1995 John Deere 455 AWS (For Sale)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Thanks
    I'm going to use a much simpler method when I fill my rears - my phone and a credit card . Our local truck tire shop fills tractor tires on a service call.
    Kennyd, RonPol and 356 like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements