Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: What do you guys use to protect paint on your John Deere tractors

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-18-2018 @ 09:13 PM
    Thanks

What do you guys use to protect paint on your John Deere tractors

I was wondering what wax or protectant do you guys use to protect the paint on your tractors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old Cajun likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinA View Post
    I was wondering what wax or protectant do you guys use to protect the paint on your tractors

My tractor gets waxed every spring with mothers automotive wax. I wax everything that's painted with exception of 3 point hitch, engine, etc. I like my tractor to look good but the main reason for my yearly wax is to keep everything slick in effort to make weeds, briars, etc etc slide on the painted surfaces without scratching as bad. I may be wasting my time with the preventive scratch efforts but it appears to help.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 04-10-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 8 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

KevinA (04-11-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    My tractor gets waxed every spring with mothers automotive wax. I wax everything that's painted with exception of 3 point hitch, engine, etc. I like my tractor to look good but the main reason for my yearly wax is to keep everything slick in effort to make weeds, briars, etc etc slide on the painted surfaces without scratching as bad. I may be wasting my time with the preventive scratch efforts but it appears to help.
    Thanks for the information

Levi, BigJim55, Old Cajun and 4 others like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    I wax mine every spring and anytime I want to make my wife upset. She can't stand it she thinks it crazy and a waste of time. Says I should be waxing my car but I point out I get a different car every five years where my 420 is a 92 I had since new until 8/16 then I got my 1025 and my 420 went to stay at my sons. I use a wax called ICE easy on and off.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 9 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Drifterbike For This Useful Post:

KevinA (04-11-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    I don't wax or soap wash any equipment. I rinse off the dust and debris once in a while and pressure wash before servicing or when I've been in the mud. I'm not against washing and waxing, it's just not something I want to do and equipment that looks less than new doesn't bother me a bit.
    Tomfive, Levi, BigJim55 and 11 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,131 Posts
    I use Turtle Wax Ice. It's not the longest lasting wax out there but it was originally recommended because you can wipe it on the plastic and rubber parts and it cleans right off and doesn't leave any white residue.

I wax my tractor every spring and give it a few gentle washings during the year as needed. I do not use a pressure washer. I just use a regular hose set on gentle spray. For any grimy build up I give it a squirt of Fantastik and then rinse off.

I know it's just a tractor but it doesn't take much effort to keep it looking good so why not. I do the same thing with the lawn tractor.
    Levi, OxPath, flyweight and 8 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

KevinA (04-11-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I use Turtle Wax Ice. It's not the longest lasting wax out there but it was originally recommended because you can wipe it on the plastic and rubber parts and it cleans right off and doesn't leave any white residue.

I wax my tractor every spring and give it a few gentle washings during the year as needed. I do not use a pressure washer. I just use a regular hose set on gentle spray. For any grimy build up I give it a squirt of Fantastik and then rinse off.

I know it's just a tractor but it doesn't take much effort to keep it looking good so why not. I do the same thing with the lawn tractor.
    I agree hard to pay that much money for something and not keep it looking good

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinA View Post
    I agree hard to pay that much money for something and not keep it looking good

Exactly. It is also worth it to me to help keep the trade/resell value as high as possible.
    OxPath, keane, Old Cajun and 4 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    I don't wax or soap wash any equipment. I rinse off the dust and debris once in a while and pressure wash before servicing or when I've been in the mud. I'm not against washing and waxing, it's just not something I want to do and equipment that looks less than new doesn't bother me a bit.
    Exactly the same here.
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-15-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    Guess I’m just a Tractorholic can’t put my 1023 e away without wash and touch up McGuires quick detailer in between waxing . I use all McGuires products every 4 months it gets a full wax including the rims, loader and mower. Purchase last spring and use 2-3 time a week at least and it looks like it came out of the showroom. Love Green!

Levi, OxPath, Old Cajun and 3 others like this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pmhgeneral For This Useful Post:

KevinA (04-11-2018)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast