Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Tire chain storage ??

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks

Tire chain storage ??

I bought a new set of tire chains this yr. they now have some rust as expected I would like to keep them in decent shape . I have herd of storing them in a bucket with oil and sand or just oil . How do you store yours ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    I assume the chains are for your garden tractor pictured in your Avatar. Don't worry too much about the rust, it is probably just a bit of surface rust. While you could spray or coat them with oil they are really going to be messy when you go to put them back on.

My 2720 uses garden tractor sized chains on the front tires and I keep them hanging from some pegs in the garage so they don't get all twisted and tangled. The rear tire chains are 3/8" and each one weighs about 80+ lbs. I keep those in 5 gallon buckets. Both my front and rear chains has a bit of surface rust on them which cleans right off the first time I clear snow the following winter.
    BigJim55, coaltrain and Marlin like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    I hang my chiains up and spray them down with Fluid Film. It is a chore like jgayman said - it’s takes 2 of us with me on a step ladder to do it.

The only thing about keeping them in a bucket is the possibility of them getting tangled. I know my luck - I can roll up an extension cord all nice and neat and it will still get knotted somehow.....
    Kennyd, glc, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I hang my chiains up and spray them down with Fluid Film. It is a chore like jgayman said - it’s takes 2 of us with me on a step ladder to do it.

The only thing about keeping them in a bucket is the possibility of them getting tangled. I know my luck - I can roll up an extension cord all nice and neat and it will still get knotted somehow.....
    IMO, regardless of their size, hanging them is probably the best way. I've never oiled mine either. I just mark the wall which side is right and left. In my case anyway. The chains aren't exactly identical, and I also mark how many links both inner and outer get per side. I'm still lucky I can hang mine with a 3 step stool without help.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks
    I toss them back in the bag they came in, and slide them under the workbench in the barn
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    IMO, regardless of their size, hanging them is probably the best way. I've never oiled mine either. I just mark the wall which side is right and left. In my case anyway. The chains aren't exactly identical, and I also mark how many links both inner and outer get per side. I'm still lucky I can hang mine with a 3 step stool without help.
    I store mine marked left/right as well but I eliminated the "which link" guessing game by cutting off the extra links once they were adjusted. Now all four chains simply latch to the last link.
    glc, BigJim55, coaltrain and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I store mine marked left/right as well but I eliminated the "which link" guessing game by cutting off the extra links once they were adjusted. Now all four chains simply latch to the last link.
    Mine are long - I think my tires are at the low end range of sizes they will work on. When I install them I am on the tightest link before getting to a cross bar. With my chains they are an X pattern and not a simple job at all to take some out.

But they work fine - just have a lot of extra links dangling to deal with which I use heavy cable ties for. I am afraid to cut off any being my tires are about 1/2 worn. If it ever comes to the day that I have to buy rear tires they wouldn't be long enough.
    glc, BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    Rust? I do not worry about rust!!

A local surplus shop always has spray paint for a dollar a can,,

This set got painted dark brown

I thought everyone had a tire chain rust remover??

Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    On a nail in a wall stud. Rust really doesn’t bother me, but fluid film would be easy to spray on.
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Remove from tractor, tape side chain connectors to end links, drop in plastic Tidy Cats bucket, douse with WD40, put on lid, mark which tractor they go on, enjoy redwing blackbird songs... E-Z.
    BigJim55, Marlin and Treefarmer like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast