• 2 Post By Herminator
  • 1 Post By Maddog

Thread: Hy Gard Low Vis hydraulic oil

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks

Hy Gard Low Vis hydraulic oil

Is anyone using a brand oil that meets JD spec J20B in their older model tractor. I have an 855 calling for Low Vis J20B spec, but I want to reduce the really stupid cost JD now charges for this oil. Thanks for your recommendations. I've been told Chevron & Mobile have a J20B spec, but I can't find the brand anywhere. Tractor supply's oil may meet it but it has a quality issue I've been told. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    I always use the low VIs Hyguard. I have used it since it came out in the early 90's. I agree it's not cheap but I have never had trouble with it. I just have Peace of mind with it.
    Herminator likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I always use the low VIs Hyguard. I have used it since it came out in the early 90's. I agree it's not cheap but I have never had trouble with it. I just have Peace of mind with it.
    Thanks. But right now I'm trying for Peace in my wallet. I think Chevron supplies the oil to JD but I can't locate a dealer for it. Wal Mart "Tech" brand may cover it, but I hate anything which is private label with that high end junk store. Thanks
    1010 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Is anyone using a brand oil that meets JD spec J20B in their older model tractor. I have an 855 calling for Low Vis J20B spec, but I want to reduce the really stupid cost JD now charges for this oil. Thanks for your recommendations. I've been told Chevron & Mobile have a J20B spec, but I can't find the brand anywhere. Tractor supply's oil may meet it but it has a quality issue I've been told. Thanks
    AFAIK, J20A/B are obsolete specs superseded by J20C/D, respectively. I bought some house brand from Runnings for an old 650. I'm sure there are many others. You want to look for something equivalent to J20D to replace J20B.

Al
    Maddog and johnH123 like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    AFAIK, J20A/B are obsolete specs superseded by J20C/D, respectively. I bought some house brand from Runnings for an old 650. I'm sure there are many others. You want to look for something equivalent to J20D to replace J20B.

Al
    Here I have a recently purchased gallon of Low Vis oil from the dealer. I read the label & all I could find was that the oil in this new container "Exceeds the minimum J20D spec". So based on the product label I have, I should be looking for a J20D spec. equivalent.

When I read your post here, I was just starting to think that the J20B spec was obsolete, because the owner's manual I have for this tractor was published in or around 1985! I started to look for a cross reference for the J20B stuff but found nothing. Now I will look for a J20D substitute which appears to now be the new spec for the J20B. Thanks for the info.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    If your tractor was built in 85 it was shipped with regular Hyguard. The low Vis hyguard was developed in the early 90"s. My 92 420 came with regular hyguard but the dealer recommended switching it to the New Low vis at the first service.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    If your tractor was built in 85 it was shipped with regular Hyguard. The low Vis hyguard was developed in the early 90"s. My 92 420 came with regular hyguard but the dealer recommended switching it to the New Low vis at the first service.
    I believe my 855 was built in 1985 or later. The owners manual clearly states it was published in 1987. Page 40 of that owner's manual clearly states to use "John Deere Low Viscosity HY-Gard transmission & hydraulic OIL". Deer's WORDS, NOT MINE. Therefore, Low Vis was in use prior to the 90's. It becomes confusing because Deere has two oils out there. One is Hy-Gard & the other Hy-Gard Low Vis. The difference between the two is their viscosity range. Many of the sundry items that Deer markets are masked under clouds of confusion at times. Just their way of robbing you blind for some of these items. Gestapo marketing. One of the reasons I've become turned off to Deere

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks
    My 1982 400 service Manual also shows hyguard but there is a chance the one I have was printed at a later date?

If you search on the internet you will find cross references for the 2 different hygards but If I remember right the hyguard seemed like it was almost rated like a multiwieght and was decsribe differently. I think the low visc was a close to a 32 or a 46 and the hyguard was at 46 or 64. Most of my “yard equipment” just doesn’t hold enough or leak so I just don’t worry to much about it. The big stuff doesnt get changed that much but yes they can hurt the wallet when a hose blows if your not quick on the lever.
    Maddog and Drifterbike like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Has anyone used Costal's Multitrack hydraulic oil. It's mfg"d by Warren Oil. Its a 10W30 weight oil. The label states it can be used in JD but it does not call out any JD spec. I pulled the MSDS sheet of both JD & Warren to try & make a comparison. Unfortunately, once again Deere puts out a data sheet that requires the IQ of a young Sheldon Cooper or Einstein to even begin to understand it, whereas the Warren spec is easier to understand but light on info. Both Warren & Deere are drowning in their own oil of CYA & screw the customer.

My switch to Coastal is for a short term need. I will more than likely go back to the Hy-gard. I only need to run the Coastal brand for about ten hours. I don't see how it could make a huge difference.

I would actually use Shell's hydraulic oil, but they don't even give a hint as to who's specs they cover. At least Coastal calls out the tractor brands on the bucket.
    Herminator likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements