• 1 Post By Droyka84
  • 2 Post By xcopterdoc

Thread: D160 Not getting fuel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks

D160 Not getting fuel

Hi, looking for help figuring out why my d160 is having a problem getting fuel. I just performed an oil change & oil filter, new plugs, new fuel filter & cleaned the air filter cover. When trying to start, it all of a sudden is not getting fuel to the fuel filter and obviously any further. I took off the new filter and fed hose back and tested just the gravity feed & gas was coming out. My tractor is only 3 years old and is shed kept so any help to save me trailoring it to the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Droyka84 View Post
    Hi, looking for help figuring out why my d160 is having a problem getting fuel. I just performed an oil change & oil filter, new plugs, new fuel filter & cleaned the air filter cover. When trying to start, it all of a sudden is not getting fuel to the fuel filter and obviously any further. I took off the new filter and fed hose back and tested just the gravity feed & gas was coming out. My tractor is only 3 years old and is shed kept so any help to save me trailoring it to the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Three things come to mind..

First, make sure you have the fuel filter installed permitting the fuel to flow through the filter. There should be an arrow on the filter indicating the direction of fuel flow towards the engine. If the filter is in backwards, that might not allow fuel to flow through it.

Second, the D160 has a fuel pump, but I think it is a mechanical type fuel pump. Here is an image of it, number 14 in the illustration.

Third, release the fuel cap and try it then. The fuel cap vent could be plugged. These are all starting points.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 05-08-2018 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spellain koraction
    keane likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Droyka84†(05-08-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Two things come to mind..

First, make sure you have the fuel filter installed permitting the fuel to flow through the filter. There should be an arrow on the filter indicating the dicretion of fuel flow towards the engine. If the filter is in backwards, that might not allow fuel to flow through it.

Second, the D160 has a fuel pump, but I think it is a mechanical type fuel pump. Here is an image of it, number 14 in the illustration.

Thanks, that was definitely something I was going to try. Hopefully thatís it, I didnít see and leaks or splits in the hosing.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    Just a quick question, when you "gravity tested" the fuel line, was the filter still attached? Fuel filter doesn't have to fill up to pass gas. (Pass gas ... did I just type that? )

Check the fuel feed all the way up to the carb if you can. Just a start for trouble shooting, engine needs fuel, air and spark to run, check each then report back. There will be other hints once we know what's missing.

Just my 2 cents.
    johnH123 likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

Droyka84†(05-10-2018)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for help. I did test without the filter. I swapped pump and still nothing. Ended up starting after being primed by sucking gas out of the line running to the filter, and also manually choking the intake after reinstalling fuel filter and hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tomfive likes this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks for following up.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfive For This Useful Post:

Droyka84†(05-10-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    Several things come to mind on why you had this issue. I work on several hundred of them a year.
    #1 is drain back. When the filter is removed one of 2 things will happen. Either the in coming line to the filter drains back to tank or it starts to shiphon feed out of the tank. So I always clamp off the in coming hose.
    #2. The fuel pump is operated by crank case pressure and vacuum. It has to pulse to work. A cracked line will cause the pump to be weak enough not to prime on its own but will run ok once going.
    #3. A fuel tank pick up hose that is too long and rests against the bottom of the tank. This will cause a long crank time if the pump is trying to prime itself.
    These are the most common issues I see.
    By cranking with choke on you should see that filter fill up pretty quick. Its just a quirk.. The nature of the beast. Very very seldom do these pumps fail under normal conditions.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Tomfive and BigJim55 like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

Droyka84†(05-10-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements