• 1 Post By coaltrain
  • 8 Post By spferdil
  • 5 Post By Tomfive
  • 4 Post By Old Cajun
  • 2 Post By Firemark
  • 2 Post By coaltrain
  • 2 Post By Jeff B
  • 2 Post By balrog006

Thread: Can a coolant temp gauge go bad?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,309 Posts

Can a coolant temp gauge go bad?

Need some help diagnosing an issue - my aftermarket coolant temp gauge on my 2520 quit working. I had to install one since Deere decided to not include one on this tractor - shame on them!

This is the gauge I bought and installed in 2015 - it has worked perfectly until a couple days ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	6D03A952-7373-4DC3-AD4B-D68057B6A0FA.jpeg†
Views:	6†
Size:	93.6 KB†
ID:	620266

2 days ago the gauge was becoming erratic. It would be showing the proper temp then the needle would get erratic between that temp and zero (all the way low), then be OK for a minute and back and forth. As of yesterday the needle wonít move. It acted as if there was a short in the power or ground wire.

Pulled the dash cowl off this morning. Visually checked all the wires and found no breaks. Tested for power and ground at the gauge and were fine. Did a continuity test of the lead that goes to the sensor and that is fine.

So wondering what to try next or just order a new gauge with sending unit. I donít know if gauges like this can go bad or if the sending unit can go bad.
    OxPath likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    Either one could be bad, my first guess would be the sensor. The sensor is just a thermistor, meaning a resistor that changes its resistance value with temperature. And the guage is just a volt meter calibrated to read the resistance change in the sensor. Several Youtube videos on checking sensors on cars but principle is the same for all, connect an ohm meter to the sensor and see if the resistance changes while applying heat - resistance should go down with heat.
    DRobinson, Tomfive, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Like all things electric/electronic, things will go bad. This reminds me about my Jetta TDI, temp gauge started doing the same thing, reading started varying while I was driving. Temp moved up and down about 30 degrees while driving steadily on the highway. Since it was still under certified warranty, I let the dealer fix it, could have been the wiring, the dash cluster, the thermostat, or anything in between. It just turned out to the the sending unit. Gauge has been good since. I did replace the thermostat years later, but that was because it was opening too soon.

In your case, I would just buy another, replace one piece at at time (if it is the exact same thing), or just replace the entire setup and be done with it. Your link showed it's just about $33. For me, the time spent trying to diagnose, finding a place to buy a sender or gauge separately would be more trouble than spending that $33.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,013 Posts
    My guess would be the thermistor in the sending unit.
    Did you do a continuity check of the sending unit and what ohm reading, if any, was it?

You can also do a continuity check across the meter posts, you should also get an ohm reading, unless it's open.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Need some help diagnosing an issue - my aftermarket coolant temp gauge on my 2520 quit working. I had to install one since Deere decided to not include one on this tractor - shame on them!

This is the gauge I bought and installed in 2015 - it has worked perfectly until a couple days ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	6D03A952-7373-4DC3-AD4B-D68057B6A0FA.jpeg†
Views:	6†
Size:	93.6 KB†
ID:	620266

2 days ago the gauge was becoming erratic. It would be showing the proper temp then the needle would get erratic between that temp and zero (all the way low), then be OK for a minute and back and forth. As of yesterday the needle wonít move. It acted as if there was a short in the power or ground wire.

Pulled the dash cowl off this morning. Visually checked all the wires and found no breaks. Tested for power and ground at the gauge and were fine. Did a continuity test of the lead that goes to the sensor and that is fine.

So wondering what to try next or just order a new gauge with sending unit. I donít know if gauges like this can go bad or if the sending unit can go bad.
    Itís a simple voltmeter calibrated against temperature. It could be a number of things. You might luck out and itís an intermittent connection on the wires. You could also take a dc variable power supply and apply a test voltage to move the meter and check its function. After that, you can Check whats driving it and what itís connected to.
    johncanfield and PJR832 like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,309 Posts
    Thanks everyone. I didnít take an ohm reading of the sensor - didnít know what I was looking for until now. Itís easy enough to check so I will just for fun.

Iím going to order a new gauge - the sensor comes with it. Wonít hurt to replace the sensor if needed and have a spare gauge.
    Tomfive and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    I would just replace all as you stated you are doing due to the critical data that engine temperature represents.
    I would also think that the gage may be tested in a fashion using 1.5 and 9 volt batteries, just for experimental diagnostics.
    Either way an intermittent fault will be extra trouble to reproduce.
    coaltrain and PJR832 like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    As youíve seen from the responses above-as with any man made mechanical device it can fail.
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements