• 3 Post By Chuck S

Thread: Foam Filled Tires

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks

Foam Filled Tires

Good Morning,
    I am considering foam filling the tires on my 1025R TLB. I use it primarily for residential mowing and snow removal, but do use the bucket and backhoe for dirt work as needed. This fall I am planning on cutting a path through the woods to access the lower part of the property, and will be working on sloped surfaces with a fair amount of partially buried glass and metal. I suspect that at one time this part of the land was either the burn pile or dump site for an old farm. We still find the old thick glass medicine bottles in that area.
    The truth is I hate checking and filling the tires on a regular basis, and would like to negate a potential future issue with flats.
    I am wondering what the cons are. Since the 1025 FEL doesn't lift that much, I doubt that the foam will limit lifting capacity. I have read the weight of the foam can add to the wear of the rims and wheel bearings. Not sure if that is accurate, since these tractors are made to run with wheel weights. I am also concerned with traction for mowing and snow removal, as I have many sloped areas. I have turf tires and about 120 hours after 2 years, so wear and tear will be minimal.
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Herminator likes this.
    Bill

2016 1025R TLB, 54D Auto Connect MMM and Deck Dolly, Frontier Pallet Forks, 54" Bucket w/welded hooks, 54" HLA snow pusher w/ back drag, BK Expanded Backhoe Storage Dolly

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    Ehhhhhhh, I wouldn't.

My rear tires are fluid filled by the dealer. My ride is OK. Interestingly, after my 50 hr. hydro fluid change, my ride got much better and quieter. When I went over a little bump the tractor would be just a bit jerky and the tranny would change the pitch of it's whine. Now it's very smooth and much quieter.

You say you don't use the loader much, but just one accident can be disastrous.

I like having fluid filled tires and my yard has more damage from me scalping the road side ridge than the tires could ever do. And my flat tire? Happened when I was pushing brush with the loader. Backed out and a branch ripped out the stem. I think you'd have to run over something pretty gnarly to put a hole in your tire.
    Herminator likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 9MMMAC For This Useful Post:

ktrout0 (06-02-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,307 Posts
    I wouldn't put foam in the tires, it's very permanent, just sayin'
    Herminator likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

ktrout0 (06-02-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ktrout0 View Post
    The truth is I hate checking and filling the tires on a regular basis, and would like to negate a potential future issue with flats.
    Unless you have leaks or flats your tires shouldn't need much maintenance pressure-wise. I haven't fooled with the tire pressure on my 2720 in about 4 years.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

ktrout0 (06-02-2018)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    I wouldn't put foam filled tires on anything personally. I bought a JD 2510 last year that had the front tires foamed. In road gear that thing would bounce like it was running on old iron wheels and was hard to control. I bought new tires and rims as soon as I could and switched them out. Those little 5.50 x 16 tires weighed more than the 10.00 16's my 4430 runs. When I picked those miserable things up by hand I thought I was going to blow an O ring and take out a ball bearing. They ain't worth it. When I go through the thorns with a tractor I have another set of rims with old junk truck tires loaded up with slime. If one starts to get low I air it up and load it up with more slime.
    johnH123, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck S For This Useful Post:

ktrout0 (06-02-2018)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    I wouldn't put foam filled tires on anything personally. I bought a JD 2510 last year that had the front tires foamed. In road gear that thing would bounce like it was running on old iron wheels and was hard to control. I bought new tires and rims as soon as I could and switched them out. Those little 5.50 x 16 tires weighed more than the 10.00 16's my 4430 runs. When I picked those miserable things up by hand I thought I was going to blow an O ring and take out a ball bearing. They ain't worth it. When I go through the thorns with a tractor I have another set of rims with old junk truck tires loaded up with slime. If one starts to get low I air it up and load it up with more slime.
    I even found a picture after I mounted the new shoes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20180314_162840.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	623714
    johnH123, Treefarmer and PJR832 like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck S For This Useful Post:

ktrout0 (06-02-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements