• 1 Post By PikeCoGreenTractorMan
  • 4 Post By jgayman

Thread: First Service of 4720

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks

First Service of 4720

This past Saturday I performed my first service of my '05 JD 4720 after owning it for nearly four years and putting about 175 hours on it. Service consisted of engine oil/filter, air cleaner element, and diesel fuel filter.

We initially neglected to fill the diesel filter with fresh diesel before remounting, so we lost prime quickly upon start up. We removed the filter, filled it with diesel and re-installed, then pumped the plunger on top of the housing feverishly while starting. A friend who was over performing some dirt work helped out, suggesting a small squirt of ether while starting and pumping the plunger simultaneously should help restore prime. Prime was finally regained once all air was removed from the fuel line between the filter housing and injectors. Once running and confirming by sound that all injectors were active, we proceeded to pull a creosote treated utility pole that had washed down from upstream over the winter. This was pushed up into the bushes out of the way using the edge of the loader bucket.

The last bit of ignorance was spilling about a quart of used oil on our new garage floor, which will be dealt with later.

Every day out or working on the machine results in new lessons learned.

Brian
    Kennyd, BigJim55, keane and 2 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    I learned the hard way how to bleed the 50 shaft HP Westerbeke (a Perkins knock off) on our new to us sailboat many years ago. After cracking the injectors and pulling on the manual fuel pump lever forever for priming, I got smart and added an electric fuel pump.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    John -

We found a bleed port at the top of the filter housing, but were unable to locate one at the injector bank - in fact, I'm not sure that we even found the injector. It was evident while cranking that we were air locked upstream of the injectors. Pumping the primer lever while cranking, coupled with the pull created by the ether burn, helped pull diesel into the intake line. However, we deliberately did not overdo the ether.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    I learned the hard way how to bleed the 50 shaft HP Westerbeke (a Perkins knock off) on our new to us sailboat many years ago. After cracking the injectors and pulling on the manual fuel pump lever forever for priming, I got smart and added an electric fuel pump.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post
    The last bit of ignorance was spilling about a quart of used oil on our new garage floor, which will be dealt with later.
    Did you ever notice that type of thing only happens on NEW garage floors? It seems the more I try to keep mine free of oil spills and stains the more oil I spill and the more stains I create.
    arlen, Zebrafive, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeCoGreenTractorMan View Post
    John -

We found a bleed port at the top of the filter housing, but were unable to locate one at the injector bank - in fact, I'm not sure that we even found the injector. It was evident while cranking that we were air locked upstream of the injectors. Pumping the primer lever while cranking, coupled with the pull created by the ether burn, helped pull diesel into the intake line. However, we deliberately did not overdo the ether.

Brian
    On the Westerbeke, you crack open each injector by loosening the hold-down nut, there was no master injector bleed. Then run the fuel pump. This was an engine design that's probably as old as dirt.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements