Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Newbie had Wax question - and happy to be back in the JD saddle

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks

Newbie had Wax question - and happy to be back in the JD saddle

Just made a deal on a good running 1998 LT155 for close to nothing so couldn't pass it up. She's extremely dirty and needs some minor stuff but I am on top of it. It has a 42" Edge deck on it with side discharge, 15HP Kohler CV15S engine and everything works. I say back in the saddle because I use to own a 60's model 110 with the round fenders, metal seat, and right foot operated pto powered by a 8hp Kohler. Still kicking myself for selling it and buying a Craftsman, which I still have, but it feels good to be back in the JD saddle.

Anyway, today I have changed the oil & filter, air filter, and removed the deck to clean and grease it and leveled it all out. Seat was wired to the base so I installed decent bolts on the hinges. Have the seat and RIO switches bypassed (no kids around). Going to change spark plug tomorrow and I have the battery charging so will see if it holds a charge. I also want to give her a good bath and shine which brings me to a question.

What type of wax/protectant do you folks use for these puppies? Thanks
    Last edited by jeepjeff; 06-30-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    North585, fdmars, Levi and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks
    I use liquid Turtle Wax with a power waxer/buffer for my cars, so it gets used on my JD. It prefers mud, grass clippings and tree bark though. It'll tolerate a good bath with RainX car soap w/wax beads. Even puts up with getting waxed a couple times a year, but really wants to go play in the yard.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks
    Any good wax will work. Most recognized names make a good wax these days.
    If you want to just do it once in a while, a good cleaner wax will help you too. Cleans off the minor stuff washing doesnt get.

My personal preference is Meguiars, both their car wash (ether Gold Class or Ultimate Wash), and then Ultimate liquid was or if Im feeling like I need to spend more time, No. 7 Show Car Glaze followed by No. 26 Hi-Tech Liquid Wax. That second combo leaves an AMAZING shine on vehicles...and Deeres, though not quite as awesome since its not a metallic finish.

If you really want to go crazy, get an orbital polisher. You can use it to apply and remove your preferred polish or wax, and its not nearly as aggressive as a standard buffer (read: wont burn through the paint nearly as fast.)
    Georgia_Johndeere and kylew like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, I did a good search after getting familiar with this forum and think I am all set. Thanks for your replies and I will see what is on sale at the local Advance Auto today. Another 90+ scorcher today and have the cooler filled with water/ice.
    BigJim55, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    12-01-2019 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepjeff View Post

What type of wax/protectant do you folks use for these puppies? Thanks
    I don't!!
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-24-2019 @ 11:22 AM
    Thanks
    Where in Michigan are you. I grew up in Gladwin.
    Herminator likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleiss1! View Post
    Where in Michigan are you. I grew up in Gladwin.
    Currently live in the Saginaw Bay area but I have lived in Houghton Lake (above Coyle's Restaurant) and north of Newberry by the Oswald Bear Compound. My favorite Mexican Restaurant is Mario's in the little strip mall on the east end of Gladwin. Love that place...
    Herminator likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepjeff View Post
    Currently live in the Saginaw Bay area but I have lived in Houghton Lake (above Coyle's Restaurant) and north of Newberry by the Oswald Bear Compound. My favorite Mexican Restaurant is Mario's in the little strip mall on the east end of Gladwin. Love that place...
    Used to visit Higgins Lake every year when I was little. Loved it there.
    That whole area is nice. When my wife and I were married in 2002, we went to Higgins Lake on our honeymoon. Hadnt been for quite a while. Still the same.
    Houghton Lake though was MUCH different. Looked a lot better than it ever did before.
    kylew likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-24-2019 @ 11:22 AM
    Thanks
    Used to go to TipUp Town every winter in Houghton Lake. Drive out on the ice.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Thanks
    I use a spray wax (Nanowax). These things have a lot of black plastic, so traditional carnuba wax will either be a giant pain to put on or will leave white streaks everywhere. The Nanowax is super easy to apply...spray on, wipe off, buff if desired. So I can wax it every time I wash it without much more effort. The spray wax doesn't last as long as paste wax (a month or two tops) but since I wash it more often than that, and since it's so easy to apply, it doesn't matter.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast