Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Mixed hydraulic/transmission fluid

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks

Mixed hydraulic/transmission fluid

I get great help from my in-laws....lol
    They used my 4044R and checked the hydraulic/transmission fluid. It was low. This is a whole other concern I haven't tackled. They found engine oil low as well as hyd/tran fluid, like not even on the dipstick. They added some unknown amount of motor oil. The oil is black/dirty so I will change it. No problem. Well also change air filters as they also helped me by blowing the air filters out with an air hose. Probably the reason my oil is black. All the little tears in air filters letting dirt in. Ugh.
    Now my real dilemma. They added 3-5 gallons of hydraulic fluid that meets j20a or b spec not the required j20c or d. I don't know how to get all of it out of system. My initial thought is buy the cheapest fluid I can find that meets the spec. Drain it and fill with correct fluid. Run it a bit to dilute whatever of the incorrect fluid is left then drain again and fill with the John Deere fluid and new hydraulic and transmission filters.

Would you change the filters twice with the fluid? Should I crack lines and attempt to drain? Would you think my plan is adequate. It has been ran a few hours with mixed fluid. The tractor has just over 150 hours on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    keane and JD4044M like this.
    2016' 4044R w/metal canopy and CACL loaded R4's
    H180 loader w/73" materials bucket
    JD MX6 rotary cutter
    imatch quick hitch
    JD ballast box
    Frontier RB2184 angle blade
    front hay fork
    rear hay fork
    Tiger 83" x 20' utility trailer w/5,200 axles

2010' X324 48" deck

03' Excursion 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke w/goodies

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    I was naive enough not to be checking my fluid levels on this new tractor. Bad idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    JD MX6 rotary cutter
    imatch quick hitch
    JD ballast box
    front hay fork
    rear hay fork

2010' X324 48" deck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:52 AM
    Thanks
    Interesting problem. Since you have a strong desire to get all of the fluid out, maybe you can do what I did when I converted my Allison transmission to all synthetic.

I hooked up a hose to one of the ports that went to the trans cooler and ran the engine for short periods until the transmission was dry. It never got hot and I never ran it more than 20-30 seconds at a time. I was able to pump almost 5 gallons out of it. If you start with a cold tractor I do not think you will have any issues doing this because whatever heat you build up in the hydro should not be enough to cook it. I am not familiar enough with a 4 series, where is the lowest point in the trans? If the drain plug is the lowest then open it up and go do something else for a few hours while things drain.

Another method you might want to try is to get an oil drain vacuum. I think Northern sells them. You can suck all the hydraulic fluid out of the fill port. Then change your filters and refill with the correct fluid. If the tractor has been ran for a few hours already and you have not experienced any issues then I would not be as concerned. Sounds like they ran compatible fluid just an older version of it? The bonus with this method is now you have a new tool to use in the future!

Anyway you go about this, you will be spending some good money on hydraulic fluid. I would try and find the method where you only have to drain it once and replace with new stuff once. Same with the filters. Remember this is a tractor not a helicopter so if you have a small amount of contamination of old and new fluid it most likely will not amount to anything, especially if it has been ran for several hours like this already.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Herminator (07-15-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:21 PM
    Thanks
    I would be concerned about why your oil and hydraulic fluid was low and only 150 hours on it? I have 278 hours and have never added oil or hydraulic fluid to my JD4044M Tractor since I owned it. I have added a about a quart of antifreeze when I got it home. I added some hydraulic fluid when I broke a steering hose in my driveway after repairing it. Also changed the oil/filter at 250 hours. Those don't count, nothing at all leaks on my tractor so far to date.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I am concerned about low levels but have to sort this out first. Not a single drop of fluid in the tractor or where I park it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Herminator likes this.
    JD MX6 rotary cutter
    imatch quick hitch
    JD ballast box
    front hay fork
    rear hay fork

2010' X324 48" deck

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks

drain and don't worry

Personally, I would just change it as you would normally, change the filters and keep an eye on it. I might change it again in 50 hours or so but not worry too much.

It's not great having the "wrong" fluid in there but changing it and keeping an eye on fluid levels will probably take care of it.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by youngandgreen View Post
    I am concerned about low levels but have to sort this out first. Not a single drop of fluid in the tractor or where I park it.

If I am right you have a lot of hydraulic driven stuff to add on yours? In doing so you may have a lot of that missing fluid inside of them or and little leak on couplings ect while using the equipment? Being low could be the tractor was not flat or the bucket raised read wrong etc. Personally I don't think the little extra fluid will hurt anything except your under warrantee still and for what the tractor is worth I would change out the fluid and just leave it at that and not worry about draining the whole system dry. Your going to do it at 500 hours again anyways. I won't tell you what I poured in My 1967-69 MF 135 Tractor Hydraulic System, I will say I have poured oil, hydraulic fluid ect. I used old oil in the crankcase, in the transmission for a while any fluid I could afford. Only fluid that was right was the steering hydraulics and radiator fluids. Owned the tractor over 13 years and personally put over 5,000 hours on it and it was up to 11,000 hours when I sold it running just fine but the rear seal was still leaking after that 13 years I owned it. Original Perkins 3 Cylinder Gas Engine & Clutch too.
    Tomfive and 69project like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Gear boxes are a different animal than hydrostatic transmissions.

JD4044M likes this.
    JD MX6 rotary cutter
    imatch quick hitch
    JD ballast box
    front hay fork
    rear hay fork

2010' X324 48" deck

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Oh don't put junk in your tractor I would never do this to my 4044M just saying I have mixed stuff over the years in some old tractors. These technical new tractors have a lot of fancy close tolerance parts requiring perfect lubrication to last and I am not taking any chances yet on mine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JD4044M For This Useful Post:

youngandgreen (07-15-2018)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    I'd get on JD parts and get all the filter info, then order every thing from Green farm parts on here. Change crankcase oil and filter.

I'd change the HYD fluid once with a new filter, and clean the strainer on the back if this machine has one.

Then I wouldn't neglect basic maintenance again. Clean the radiator while you're at it.
    arlen, Treefarmer and JD4044M like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast