Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,,

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks

Goodbye Spilled Acid, Hello AGM Battery For The ATV,,

I went looking for a new battery for my Polaris Trail Blazer 250,,
    all the while, cringing at the thought of having to pour the acid into the uncharged battery.

I had never purchased a battery by mail before, but, I figured , what the heck, check Amazon,,

Sure enough, Amazon had them, and among the lowest cost batteries, was an AGM battery,
    The battery comes with the acid in it, and, it is spill-proof,,,
    Luckily, it is spill-proof, they put the battery in the shipping box up side down,,,

I popped the battery out of the box, into the ATV, and it started right up,,,

Best of all, the battery came with a free trickle charger,,, all for $45 delivered!!

Amazon.com: YB14A-A2 Battery with .5 Amp Charger - Bundle of 2 items: Automotive

Are you gonna try an AGM battery?
    I wonder what else I can get a cheap battery for??
    North585, Jeff R., keane and 1 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

jdmich†(07-21-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I've bought two batteries on line this year. Both sealed gel 12V car batteries. One from Amazon. The last one, just two eeks ago came from the Advance Auto Parts web site. In the latter case, the battery was $50 cheaper on line than buying the same battery off the shelf in their store 8 miles away. UPS delivery was free, and it was delivered by UPS 2 days after I ordered. There was only a $5 core charge, and the old battery could be returned at any of their stores.

The Amazon battery was a Bosch, for my vintage BMW project car. It had free 2 day Amazon Prime delivery by UPS, and was $25 cheaper than the same battery on the shelf in my local Pep Boys store.

I'm always careful with car batteries to look at the codes for the date of manufacture. In both of my latest on line experiences, the batteries I received were more recently manufactured than any of the same batteries in my local Pep Boys and Advanced Auto.

If you need a battery and can wait a couple of days for home delivery, you can likely get a newly manufactured battery at a lower cost than from local chain store. And with the gel technology batteries there is no reason to handle sulfuric acid.
    mjncad, Jep and CADplans like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Crap I just went to Wally World last night and bought a new battery for my sportsman 500. $44.80. Dang would have order that with charger and all. Just dumped acid in it and charged and put in this afternoon. Have to remember next time. Thanks for posting.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    After a lot of research, I went with an AGM batter for my 4066R last year. I probably will only buy AGM batteries in the future and will also check online. Thanks for the post.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    After a lot of research, I went with an AGM batter for my 4066R last year. I probably will only buy AGM batteries in the future and will also check online. Thanks for the post.

Dave
    What did you get for an AGM? I got a group 34 Optima in my 4720. I just put a group 51 optima in my X748 too.
    I still need to find a group 47 AGM for my 997...Iíve been unsuccessful so far.

John Deere is offering a few AGM sizes, and Iím sure that will be the wave of the future...it solves so many issues with regular flooded plate technology.
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    Sams Club is now carrying a nice selection of automotive AGM batteries,,,

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/search..._car-batteries

Last month, they had a sale, $20 off batteries,, including AGM's,,
    That was appealing, but, I did not need one at the time,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    I've been running Die Hard AGMs in my Wrangler for about 7 or 8 years now. The first one failed while still under the full replacement warranty. Its replacement has been fine since installing it in the parking lot of the now closed Sears Automotive store. Jeep owners like AGMs just in case you roll your rig while out on the trail.

Never thought about an AGM for any of my other equipment, but I like the idea. The battery in the 3520 is going to need replaced sooner or later, so I should probably start shopping now. I just replaced the batteries in both of my Gravely's last Summer. I wish I would have thought about AGM and doing it online instead of shopping around at Wally World and the local auto parts stores.
    RetiredDoc likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    What did you get for an AGM? I got a group 34 Optima in my 4720. I just put a group 51 optima in my X748 too.
    I still need to find a group 47 AGM for my 997...Iíve been unsuccessful so far.

John Deere is offering a few AGM sizes, and Iím sure that will be the wave of the future...it solves so many issues with regular flooded plate technology.
    My choice was between Sams club and Die Hard. I went with a group 34 Die Hard as i liked the manufacturer better.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Thanks
    I put AGMs in my boat. The next year I started storing it for 5 or 6 years. Left the batteries in there, thought we'd fish again. Got the boat out about a month ago, 1 battery was still good. They were whatever F&F sell.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Thanks
    I put an Optima yellow top in my 4200 earlier this year when the Deere Strongbox exploded when I went to start it up. What a flipping mess hosing that acid down. My work jeans have holes in them from where the acid splashed on them while hosing down the battery bay.

I have an Optima red top in my 2001 Accord, and I'll probably go AGM with the X754, F250, and the wife's Rogue.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast