Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Packing Bearings

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Thanks

Packing Bearings

Does anyone else love packing wheel bearings or am I alone in enjoying this task?

It's funny, I always dread the start of the project but as soon as I smell that grease, get my hands oily, really get into the project I find it very therapeutic. I don't know if it is the level of comfort received from knowing those little bearings look good, are still smooth and have fresh grease on them or if the grease scent is engineered (such as new car smells) to give the grease monkey a euphoric high.

Just completed two jet ski trailers and a utility trailer and am just pleased. Of course everything went smoothly which always helps.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Does anyone else love packing wheel bearings or am I alone in enjoying this task?

It's funny, I always dread the start of the project but as soon as I smell that grease, get my hands oily, really get into the project I find it very therapeutic. I don't know if it is the level of comfort received from knowing those little bearings look good, are still smooth and have fresh grease on them or if the grease scent is engineered (such as new car smells) to give the grease monkey a euphoric high.

Just completed two jet ski trailers and a utility trailer and am just pleased. Of course everything went smoothly which always helps.
    Come on down. It's time for my bi-annual, trailer axle, bearing maintenance and it's not one of my favorite tasks. It's a tandem so double your pleasure, double your fun. You're welcome to take your time and thoroughly enjoy yourself!
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 07-23-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Come on down. It's time for my bi-annual, trailer axle, bearing maintenance and it's not one of my favorite tasks. It's a tandem so double your pleasure, double your fun. You're welcome to take your time and thoroughly enjoy yourself!
    I used to have that issue with my old trailer but the new one has a Dexter axle with the E-Z Lube system so I no longer tear them apart. Just jack up the trailer and spin the tire while you pump in new grease until all the old grease disappears and only new grease is visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XT0RKDGgDm8
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (07-24-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I used to have that issue with my old trailer but the new one has a Dexter axle with the E-Z Lube system so I no longer tear them apart. Just jack up the trailer and spin the tire while you pump in new grease until all the old grease disappears and only new grease is visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XT0RKDGgDm8
    I had the E-Z lube system on my last snowmobile trailer and it worked well for keeping the hub bearings dry and well lubricated. That being said there is some value to removing the wheels and pulling the drums and hubs. It gives me a chance to clean, inspect and adjust the trailer brakes and bearing preload while I'm at it.

Years ago while doing some maintenance on my Hudson flatbed axles I found a couple of bearings that were discolored and scored. Those may have eventually failed so putting things in perspective there's value to a good visual inspection.
    DRobinson, lindsey97 and placer like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I had the E-Z lube system on my last snowmobile trailer and it worked well for keeping the hub bearings dry and well lubricated. That being said there is some value to removing the wheels and pulling the drums and hubs. It gives me a chance to clean, inspect and adjust the trailer brakes and bearing preload while I'm at it.

Years ago while doing some maintenance on my Hudson flatbed axles I found a couple of bearings that were discolored and scored. Those may have eventually failed so putting things in perspective there's value to a good visual inspection.
    I agree 100%. You should still periodically inspect the bearings and races. My trailer is just a small 5x10 landscape trailer that doesn't see many miles. When I first got it I wrongly assumed that the grease fittings on the axles were like the "Bearing Buddies" I had on my old snowmobile trailer. It wasn't until I ran across some E-Z Lube YouTube videos explaining the system that I realized I had something completely different and something that was actually useful in keeping both bearings greased.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    BTW... does anyone use one of these gizmos for greasing bearings and if so, do they really work as good as hand packing? I've seen plastic ones as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bearing_greaser.jpg  

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-06-2019 @ 01:56 AM
    Thanks
    BTW... does anyone use one of these gizmos for greasing bearings and if so, do they really work as good as hand packing? I've seen plastic ones as well.

I have one of those bearing packers and it is older than I am. Does a great job at getting the bearing full of grease, unlike using latex gloves and slathering it on the bearing by hand.

I am self employed for 15 years and do dirtwork, so a lot of our repairs are in the field. I do good to keep rags and hand cleaner in each vehicle. A friend/business partner has taught me to keep a box of latex gloves in each vehicle, they are a lifesaver when a breakdown occurs.
    DRobinson and keane like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-06-2019 @ 02:40 AM
    Thanks
    Slathering it IN the bearing by hand. Did hundreds of them in the service. Never really trusted the two funnel gizmo, and I have yet to find latex gloves that won't shred when I try and ease my bear paws into them.
    mark02tj likes this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,575 Posts
    I have this style, and it does work very well. Fill it with grease, place the bearing in, and put it on the floor and stand on it, then remove bearing when you see the grease come up through the race.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50190649.jpg  
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Thanks

I made something that works on the same principle many moons ago. Made it out of 2 pcs of aluminum.
    They work very well, pump the grease in and it flows evenly out of the bearing.

get with the times, packing bearings by hand is like reading by lamps burning whale oil!!
    Kennyd and wildbranch2007 like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast