JD 22 Utility Trailer - Replacement Tire Options - Gator Tires Only?

Thread: JD 22 Utility Trailer - Replacement Tire Options - Gator Tires Only?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks

JD 22 Utility Trailer - Replacement Tire Options - Gator Tires Only?

Hey gang. I'm looking for options. My JD Model 22 Utility Trailer is in dire need of new shoes. Tire size is 22.5x10-8.
    Looking around for different styles of tires in the size, I'm not finding much but that balloon type.
    Ideally, I'd like a tire 8" wide (so I can add fenders and have more clearance) at the same 22" height or taller.
    What other options can I consider in 4-ply with my requirements?
    Where to look?
    Last edited by Boonie; 08-05-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    Just to be clear, this is the trailer that Deere sells to haul around greens mowers? If so, that is a pretty unique tire. It isn't a "balloon tire", it just an L&G tire with a small wheel and a large OD so it has a higher sidewall. The 8" wheel is going to limit you from anything with a larger OD. Carlisle also has this size in an HDAP thread but its pretty much the same OD.

That trailer is designed to be low for loading equipment. Anything narrower is also going to be a smaller OD thus lowering the trailer and reducing ground clearance.

It appears that trailer was designed with that tire in mind so you don't have much for options.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    Just to be clear, this is the trailer that Deere sells to haul around greens mowers?
    It appears that trailer was designed with that tire in mind so you don't have much for options.
    Yes
    I come to realize that there aren't but a couple options. Height is a key factor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Two - Carlisle HD FieldTrax - 22.5x10-8 are on order. I wanted all the tires on my equipment to match.

I had a fairly heavy task for the 22 Trailer today. A little story for the ora.

Amongst our landscaping, we have numerous plants, planted in concrete-exposed aggregate planters of various sizes.
    When I originally planned things years ago, through the years of having to move the plant bearing planters was no big deal. I usually used a heavy-duty hand-truck, laid back like a 2-wheeled dolly. This task eventually was becoming a burden without help. When I seen the JD22 Utility Trailer, and learned of their intended use, (this was shortly after purchase of our x739) the low height of the bed, and that cleverly designed, fold-down back gate/ramp, seeing it's potential for me, brought on a big smile. I eventually found a nice used one for sale,
    fairly local, that I purchased.

Back to the task.

I hooked up the JD22 Utility Trailer to the nose of the GT and backed the trailer about a foot this side (over the double layer) from the Cottage Stone Landscape Blocks, dropped the tail-gate/ramp, and pushed the ramp of the trailer right up close to the base of the planter. Being that close to the planter with the ramp, allowed me to kind of rock/roll the planter onto the ramp. Once the planter was on the ramp, a few more rock/roll moves had in on the bed liner. At that point (with less effort) it slid right on in. Raise the ramp, and go. Unloading was a breeze.

I thought for sure the tires would pop when going over the crushed rock today, but they held up one last time. I was kind of surprised, really. Because the tires are BALD

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements