Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: How much does incompetence cost these days

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks

How much does incompetence cost these days

So after seven weeks I finally get my 855 transaxle pried out of my dealer's hands. One of the delays was that they lost a Bushing & it is NLA so they had to fight another dealer to sell them one. Ok, bushing comes in, they complete the repair.

So I have the transaxle back from the dealer & I start to put my 855 back together. By chance I decide to remove the oil drain flange at the back of the transaxle in order to put in a new O ring at the strainer screen down in the sump. I pull out the screen & there sits the lost bushing. Along with the lost bushing I see the screen is covered with metal shavings I would rate as fine. The shavings may be due to a missing detent ball that no one could account for & was also the subject of at least two hours of discussion with the service dept. So tomorrow when I show up at the dealer & hand him the bushing which they somehow managed to lose inside the transaxle, & the screen with all the fine shavings, what exactly do I say?

Right now I don't understand how the bushing found its way to the bottom & rear of the transaxle because the back cover of the T/axle was never taken off & there is a partition wall inside & this bushing should have been on the front side of the partition. This subject gets rather complicated so I've tried only to give the highlights. During this repair, the service manager fired the tech who had the job originally & then expressed some doubt to me about the second guy on the job.

I don't think it will be a shouting match when I see the manager, but I do want him to acknowledge the incompetence of the people who he put on this job. I also want him to extend the repair warranty time from their thirty day warranty to ninety days because I have ZERO confidence in this stupid place. No money back, no blame game. Just increase my warranty period for the peace of mind. I think that's fair. This place charges an hourly rate of $92. per hour. I won't mention names here but this giant dealership is now up to 58 locations throughout the southeast & as far as I'm concerned there nothing more than corporate gangsters. Two weeks ago I was considering buying a zero turn from them to the tune of about $8,000. That's one sale they will never make because if they can't deliver the service I may need on it, what's the point. And tomorrow when I tell the Sales Dept. mgr. he lost a sale because of his dumb ass service dept. they can take that to the next sales meeting & pat themselves on the back.

There's a New Holland dealer two miles down from Deere. As long as the only dealer in my area is this giant jerk franchise whose motto is "Strong on Service" I will not buy another thing painted Green & Yellow with the words John Deere. Yea, runs like a Deere & smells like a you know what.
    Last edited by Maddog; 08-23-2018 at 10:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    I'm no expert on this stuff, but if you think this is bad, you haven't seen anything from a case new holland dealer/corporate flustercuck.

I think what you want is reasonable, and I think you should just demand what you have listed here. Maybe add a couple of little things in at the beginning that you can drop later in case of a negotiation?
    mjncad, etcallhome, arlen and 6 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnH123 For This Useful Post:

Herminator (08-23-2018), Maddog (08-30-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    I feel for ya!!

I like the idea of extending the warranty, but I'm not sure that 90 days is enough. I'd probably want 6 months. Do you mow with your 855? If so, will you be mowing for much past the 90 days? I think I'd ask for a warranty of XXXX hours - and take a picture of the hour meter now to start the clock.

Good luck with this and let us all know how it works out.
    mjncad, Levi, keane and 2 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

Herminator (08-23-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    I feel for ya!!

I like the idea of extending the warranty, but I'm not sure that 90 days is enough. I'd probably want 6 months. Do you mow with your 855? If so, will you be mowing for much past the 90 days? I think I'd ask for a warranty of XXXX hours - and take a picture of the hour meter now to start the clock.

Good luck with this and let us all know how it works out.
    I think you have a very strong case and are being fair. Obviously you care about your equipment and you hired them to do the job because you thought that would have the best outcome. Had your not cared enough to change that o-ring you could have had a lot of ground up bronze floating around that transmission and a much bigger headache for you and them.

I am very partial to deere equipment but I also believe New Holland has some good things out there. I was just talking to a guy this week that I had not talked to for a while. He just bought a 40 hp NH, I asked him why not a Deere and he said it was too expensive. Mine has 100 hours on it and his has 100 hours on his but the picture he showed me of his was without the engine. Something happened with the oil pump and they are replacing the motor but ....
    Levi, BigJim55, jdmich and 2 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

buckteeth445 (08-24-2018)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Thanks
    This sounds a lot like the kind of dealer I have, so I don't know about asking for more warranty. What good is a warranty if they can't fix anything? I finally got to the point on mine that I didn't want them working on it anymore, 'cause not only could they not fix anything but they usually just created more problems for me to fix.
    Levi, BigJim55, coaltrain and 3 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:15 PM
    Thanks
    I think its very reasonable to ask them to extend the warranty on the work, based on what you found. I agree with a few others who have said to ask for a longer period, maybe hours vs months. Go in with the expectation that they WILL do that, and the only question being whether its extra hours or extra time.

Id say its not so much incompetence as it is just a simple "I dont care" attitude. Had they cared about it, youd have had a solution MUCH faster than you did, and that tech would have been gone long before you ever got involved.
    Id mention to him too about your possible purchase going eleswhere. Some people will say not to, as it wont get you anything, but if that guy cares, it will get you, and maybe others, a lot more. He needs to know that his practices are costing him lost sales and lost future business.
    Deere is a big company, but they do care what their dealers are doing to their name. If the dealer doesnt address your issues to your satisfaction, contact Deere and let them know whats going on, and your concerns. Sometimes corporate can move things along better with a dealer than the dealer would without them in their ear.

My neighbor has a Stihl MS270 thats probably 8 years old or so. He was having issues starting and keeping it running so it went to the local Deere/Stihl dealer. They had it in 3 times over 3 months for the exact same issue. They charged him about $120, not including the carb they put on, then took off and refunded him because it too didnt fix the issue.
    He contacted Stihl. They talked to the dealer, who explained they couldnt find anything, and then Stihl recommended he take it to a different dealer, which he did. They had it all of 4 days during late Spring (very busy time around here for any outdoor power equipment), and had it fixed. Stihl covered all the repairs.
    It was a torn intake boot. Very common, and should have been very easy to find.
    Point is, sometimes just because the dealer says one thing, doesnt mean thats how its going to be.
    56Nine, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Thanks

T

[B]Maddog I feel your pain and thing extend warranty is not unreasonable. I don’t know why it such and chore to get ANYTHING done these days. I’ve had my zturn back several times since new for hard starting and not running right with no improvement, finally did some things myself and is now tolerable.

I am very partial to deere equipment but I also believe New Holland has some good things out there. I was just talking to a guy this week that I had not talked to for a while. He just bought a 40 hp NH, I asked him why not a Deere and he said it was too expensive. Mine has 100 hours on it and his has 100 hours on his but the picture he showed me of his was without the engine. Something happened with the oil pump and they are replacing the motor but ....[/QUOTE]

Herminator I am also very partial to Deere. Surrounded by them and operated Deere all my life. I’m sad to say I’m ready for a new larger tractor and am looking at others beside Deere. I need somewhere around 60 pto hp. As you may seen in my prior post am investigating 4 and 5 series Deere’s. Cost is staggering to my budget. Like you said New Holland has some good tractors and cost is not that far from Deere, BUT I’ve taken that a step further and have been reading and looking at LS Tractors. They make most models for New Holland. Look at serial number tag. I can get a 73 hp cab tractor for $25000 less than same in a 5 series Deere. Boy am I struggling with this. So many standard features on LS that are options on a Deere. Good warranty and I can not consciously not look at one. Matter of fact Mrs., and I are driving to a dealer North of me tomorrow to look at the 68 and 73 hp ones they have in stock. Not to hijack this thread and I’ve been going to post about this thought but honestly I’ve been that torn about it. Thoughts or knowledge on Ls tractors?
    Last edited by jdmich; 08-24-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

13. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,613 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    Not to hijack this thread and I’ve been going to post about this thought but honestly I’ve been that torn about it. Thoughts or knowledge on Ls tractors?
    Please start a new thread bout this. That way we don't derail this one and you can get better responses.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Thanks
    It makes me laugh and not in a funny way. Ok so the mechanic stinks and the manager knows it. That's a bad manager and the person above him ain't getting the job done. I would work towards hours of warranty and a change of the fluid at about half of that time and again at the end. They provide the fluid, I'd change it myself.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Please start a new thread bout this. That way we don't derail this one and you can get better responses.
    Will do Sorry could help myself.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast