• 2 Post By Tx Jim
  • 1 Post By johnH123

Thread: Diesel Slime

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 06:42 AM
    Thanks

Diesel Slime

Perhaps this is well known issue to most of you, but it is new to me. So hopefully this helps someone.

I did an oil & filter change on my 2008 3720 this weekend. Also changed the fuel filter, and cleaned the sediment bowl. I noticed some slime in the sediment filter and got concerned. After cleaning and reassembly, and starting the tractor, the fuel appeared milky, and I could not even see the red ring in the bowl.

Next, I drained fuel tank by removing the hose and screen at the bottom of the tank. Screen was full of snotty slime and fuel drained slowly. I inserted about 18 inches of a braided cable into that drain hole cleared a bunch of slime. Fuel then drained as expected.

I bought some Bio Kleen at Tractor Supply, and added it to 5 gallons of new clean (highway) diesel. I used the sludge / shock proportion. Reassembled cleaned drain screen, fuel line, ...etc and refueled with the treated diesel. Took a rigorous drive down gravel road to slosh it around. Fuel looks clear in the sediment bowl.

Letting tractor sit till next weekend. I’ll be adding Bio Kleen to all future fill ups. I hope I’ve dodged a bullet.
    Levi, keane, Yamaguy and 2 others like this.
    - Rob
    2008 3720, 300cx FEL, 485 BH, Artillian Forks & Grapple, Woods Brush Hog, Curtis FEL Plow, JD Weight Box, CountyLine CarryAll, EA 5’ Box Blade, JD 59” Snow Blower, WoodMaxx WM-8H Chipper

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RobC For This Useful Post:

Jeff B (09-30-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,576 Posts

Yes, diesel fuel and grow an algae that will plug filters and pumps. Good you caught it early, but keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t return.
    Levi, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post

Yes, diesel fuel and grow an algae that will plug filters and pumps. Good you caught it early, but keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t return.
    It always pays in the long run to use some kind of quality fuel additive. Gasoline and diesel both have down sides to them.

In cold weather Diesel fuel can also jell blocking the system. Another good reason to use an additive in every tank.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

RobC (09-30-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post

Thanks Kenny. I’m wondering if anything downstream from the filters is slimed up, and if so, will this fuel treatment clean it up. Surprisingly, the tractor was running ok on this gunked up fuel.
    PJR832 likes this.
    - Rob
    2008 3720, 300cx FEL, 485 BH, Artillian Forks & Grapple, Woods Brush Hog, Curtis FEL Plow, JD Weight Box, CountyLine CarryAll, EA 5’ Box Blade, JD 59” Snow Blower, WoodMaxx WM-8H Chipper

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    Keeping fuel tank as close to full as possible cuts down on condensation. It's my understanding that the slime you referred to requires water to exist.
    keane and PJR832 like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tx Jim For This Useful Post:

RobC (10-03-2018)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I've spent the past few evenings reading through threads on fuel quality, additives, algae, ...etc. I've learned alot, and appreciate all those who have posted their expertise to help others. Hard to imagine that this issue has gone under my radar.

These past couple of years have seen low hours on our tractor due to other priorities; and so less fuel turnover. Going forward, I'll do a better job at keeping the tractor tank topped off, and using additives to prevent this issue from recurring.

Given the reading I've done, I don't think the biocide will clear up the existing growth in the fuel tank (will it?). So, I will likely empty the tank again and do a better job of flushing it clean, with gasoline or some other detergent. I'd figure out how to remove the tank if it helped the process. I've already changed out the fuel filter, and don't mind doing that more frequently.

The '08 3720 has the sediment/separator bowl with a cleanable filter, a spin on filter, and an inline metal filter. I cleaned the separator filter, replaced the spin on filter, but did not replace the metal inline filter (I'll need to do that).

Tractor is running fine, however I am concerned that the downstream fuel lines may also have growth; not because it passed from the tank thru the filters, but just occurred in the fuel while the tractor was sitting idle in the garage. Do I need to flush the fuel lines or will the biocide and fresh fuel flow take care of it. If I need to flush the lines, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks again folks, appreciate all the advice.
    - Rob

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    I've spent the past few evenings reading through threads on fuel quality, additives, algae, ...etc. I've learned alot, and appreciate all those who have posted their expertise to help others. Hard to imagine that this issue has gone under my radar.

These past couple of years have seen low hours on our tractor due to other priorities; and so less fuel turnover. Going forward, I'll do a better job at keeping the tractor tank topped off, and using additives to prevent this issue from recurring.

Given the reading I've done, I don't think the biocide will clear up the existing growth in the fuel tank (will it?). So, I will likely empty the tank again and do a better job of flushing it clean, with gasoline or some other detergent. I'd figure out how to remove the tank if it helped the process. I've already changed out the fuel filter, and don't mind doing that more frequently.

The '08 3720 has the sediment/separator bowl with a cleanable filter, a spin on filter, and an inline metal filter. I cleaned the separator filter, replaced the spin on filter, but did not replace the metal inline filter (I'll need to do that).

Tractor is running fine, however I am concerned that the downstream fuel lines may also have growth; not because it passed from the tank thru the filters, but just occurred in the fuel while the tractor was sitting idle in the garage. Do I need to flush the fuel lines or will the biocide and fresh fuel flow take care of it. If I need to flush the lines, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks again folks, appreciate all the advice.
    I would think that the biocide will kill it, but who knows? If you want to get the tank really clean, get some cheap ATF and mix it with acetone, fill the tank, leave it for a few, and then drain.
    PJR832 likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com