• 3 Post By CADplans

Thread: JD790 2000 with only 200 hours Clutch trouble

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-04-2018 @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks

JD790 2000 with only 200 hours Clutch trouble

Not sure where to look for my answer.

My JD790 has a clutch that is jerky or sticky or something. Not sure how to describe it. It is almost impossible to let the clutch out with out the tractor jumping. Even letting the clutch out very slowly it grabs and the tractor surges making doing close up work very dangerous.
    What can I do to stop this 18 year old tractor with only 200 hours on it stop having a catchy clutch. This can be dangerous if someone is working around the bucket to connect chains or what not. I should be able to let the clutch out slowly and have the tractor ease into motion, not jump into what ever direction I have the transmission in. Very frustrating to try to put a log on my sawmill and not plow into the sawmill. I have the throttle set to as low as it will go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Thanks
    If you only used the tractor 10 hours per year,,, the flywheel and pressure plate may be rusted,,,

I am not recommending this to you ,,, but,,, if it were my tractor,,
    I would chain the tractor to a tree and make it slip the clutch.

The tractor will have to be in a high gear,, so that you do not just spin the tires.

When the clutch slips, it will polish the flywheel, and pressure plate.

Again,, this is what I would do,,,
    BigJim55, coaltrain and jdmich like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Years back, I had a JD 1010 crawler with dry clutches. If I didn't run it for a few months, one clutch...left???...would rust up. I had a 16" oak in the back yard that I used to creep up on and rest the bucket against it...then, FULL throttle, forward and pull the clutch back to neutral. She'd labor for a bit, spin the track, and then break loose! I'd be good for another couple of months not running. I sold the tractor and the tree died from me driving the bucket into it...but it burnt well in the wood stove!

BTW, This thread belongs in Lawn and Garden tractors...Moderator(s) ???
    Last edited by rwmeyer; 10-04-2018 at 02:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    If you only used the tractor 10 hours per year,,, the flywheel and pressure plate may be rusted,,,

I am not recommending this to you ,,, but,,, if it were my tractor,,
    I would chain the tractor to a tree and make it slip the clutch.

The tractor will have to be in a high gear,, so that you do not just spin the tires.

When the clutch slips, it will polish the flywheel, and pressure plate.

Again,, this is what I would do,,,

totally agree on this fix. smoke the clutch to wear it in a bit. heck ur 790 has 100 hrs less than my uncles-but his a 2001 yr. he did have it out to haul the wood splitter down to the wood pile. then brought it back, parked it inside a heated garage-and put it to sleep-with a green blanklyboy do i get on him. i doubt this tractor has ever seen any rain on it at all.

ah-i thought a minute-- yeah its had water on it-as he has a front mounted snow blower for it, so yeah snow has been on itt before.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements