Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Mixing oil viscosity

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks

Mixing oil viscosity

So I picked up hydro and engine oil to do the 200 hour service and noticed that the hydro oil is regular viscosity and I have about a gallon on the shelf that is low viscosity. Does anyone see a problem mixing the two together?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,532 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about mixing them.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,007 Posts
    No problem. You're good to go.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    OK, they will mix without a problem but why would you. Return the oil and get low viscosity. These tractors are supposed to have low viscosity hydraulic oil in them so that is what I would use.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
    So I picked up hydro and engine oil to do the 200 hour service and noticed that the hydro oil is regular viscosity and I have about a gallon on the shelf that is low viscosity. Does anyone see a problem mixing the two together?
    The difference between Low Viscosity and "regular" is the temperature of the operating environment for the equipment. Either is fine in most climates in the country. The Low Viscosity is designed for the colder climates as in the cold of winter, the hydro fluid can get pretty thick. Seeing you are in California, unless you are in an area with high elevation and low temps, the regular viscosity hydro fluid is probably the better choice.

In your tractors owners manual, there is a chart which shows the operating temps and suggested fluid vicosities. No issue mixing the two and unless your area gets very low temps (near zero degrees) you likely won't notice any difference. If you do have the very cold weather, just allow the tractor to warm up a little more before use. Also, you might notice the hydro pedals and the hydraulic control lever seem "stiffer" when first using them when it's cooler outside. Otherwise, no concerns............

There is a lot of fluid in a hydro change so make sure you have a catch container that can hold at least 5 gallons of fluid. Otherwise, it's going to be tough to handle and empty into another container........

Don't forget to grease the driveshaft joints under the tractor.........

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    OK, they will mix without a problem but why would you. Return the oil and get low viscosity. These tractors are supposed to have low viscosity hydraulic oil in them so that is what I would use.
    Thanks to all for the replies. I would return the oil and get low vis, but, it's an 80 mile round trip to the nearest dealer. I didn't think it would be a problem but thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom here. I will put the low vis in the front axle and the regular in the transmission. I have experienced the steering getting a bit harder in long mowing sessions when mowing around a lot of trees and doing lots of turning so maybe the low vis would be better up there.

Thanks again

Steve
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the replies. I would return the oil and get low vis, but, it's an 80 mile round trip to the nearest dealer. I didn't think it would be a problem but thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom here. I will put the low vis in the front axle and the regular in the transmission. I have experienced the steering getting a bit harder in long mowing sessions when mowing around a lot of trees and doing lots of turning so maybe the low vis would be better up there.

Thanks again

Steve
    Hiya,

I would do the opposite, regular vis in the front axle and low-vis in the hydrostat.

The steering issue you note is not related to viscosity of the differential fluid, it's that your tractor may not have a separate power steering hydraulic pump like larger tractors do. Turning quickly around obstacles while mowing may be demanding more flow than a single pump system can provide while operating all the other functions while mowing. (I have noticed this type issue on smaller tractors in the past)
    Herminator likes this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

I would do the opposite, regular vis in the front axle and low-vis in the hydrostat.

The steering issue you note is not related to viscosity of the differential fluid, it's that your tractor may not have a separate power steering hydraulic pump like larger tractors do. Turning quickly around obstacles while mowing may be demanding more flow than a single pump system can provide while operating all the other functions while mowing. (I have noticed this type issue on smaller tractors in the past)
    Interesting, I thought that since the steering doesn't show up until I've been running for a fairly long while that it was perhaps due to heating the fluid in the axle. I didn't think that the power steering function used the fluid in the main system, shows you how little I know.

Steve
    Herminator likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Interesting, I thought that since the steering doesn't show up until I've been running for a fairly long while that it was perhaps due to heating the fluid in the axle. I didn't think that the power steering function used the fluid in the main system, shows you how little I know.

Steve
    90 miles, what part of CA do you live in?
    Herminator likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    90 miles, what part of CA do you live in?
    Northern Ca in the foothills a little southeast of Sacramento.
    Ray_PA, Herminator and 1010 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast