Do Oil Filters Create Backpressure?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Do Oil Filters Create Backpressure?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-19-2018 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks

Do Oil Filters Create Backpressure?

To winterize my tractor I had to get my oil filter from a local store since my dealer is about 60 miles away. What I got is a Kohler oil filter which seem to be identical to the one I get from John Deer (AM125424) but what bothers me is the package says “For Command, Aegis, Courage and Triad OHC Engines” but it does not say “Brigs & Stratton” like my engine is.

What worries me if the new filter creates more/less backpressure in the system?

Do you have any experience with the above?
    Nicolas

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:22 AM
    Thanks
    Nicolas, I wish I could give you an answer, but I can't! I will, however tell/explain what I know about filters and lube systems.

An oil pump is typically a gear type pump that picks up oil from the crankcase, pumps it through the filter, and then to the rest of the lubrication system.

There are 2 types of oil filters, bypass and non-bypass. Bypass meaning if the filter is totally clogged, the oil bypasses the filter. Non-bypass means if your filter is totally clogged, your engine gets no oil. Engine manufacturers have worked around this by installing a relief valve built into the block before the filter, so if pressure builds up (due to a clogged filter), the valve opens and the system gets oil, dirty, but oil.

The other data particular to a filter is micron rating. This rating determines the largest particle/dirt that can pass through the filter. A micron is small, very, very small. 1 micron equals 0.000039 inch. To my knowledge...and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong...auto motive engines use a 20 micron filter, so the largest particle that can pass through is .00078!

I checked JD parts for info on the filter (bypass, non bypass, micron rating) and nothing was given, so they were no help! Soo, as far as bypass/non bypass, regular filter changes will take care of that...the filter will changed before it clogs. As far as micron rating, I'd like to see 40 or less.

OK, all of this said, all I hopefully did was inform you about filters! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    To winterize my tractor I had to get my oil filter from a local store since my dealer is about 60 miles away. What I got is a Kohler oil filter which seem to be identical to the one I get from John Deer (AM125424) but what bothers me is the package says “For Command, Aegis, Courage and Triad OHC Engines” but it does not say “Brigs & Stratton” like my engine is.

What worries me if the new filter creates more/less backpressure in the system?

Do you have any experience with the above?
    How do you know that what you got is "identical" to the JD filter? It is next to impossible to say the filter you picked up is identical if your just making a visual comparison. Filters vary immensely between brands. The filter medium or paper quality-the particle or micron particle size it can trap-the number of pleats or folds in the paper, which makes up a major part of the filtering ability. Does it have a center tube within the pack. Does the filter paper resist or stop oil channeling. Does it have a good spring & by-pass system.

Ok- I have not answered your question on back pressure. But all of the above has affects on your oil system & its ability to filter oil efficiently. My guess is that you do have some back pressure with a filter but it is probably really minimal. A quality oil filter has a relief system in it. A high back pressure inside the filter would causer the filter's by-pass system to open up & flow around the filter so you do not lose oil circulation into the engine. Having said that, I don't see the concern about back pressure. What is your concern over it.

So who makes that Kohler filter? Could it be sourced from Fram-Wix-Purolator or another known manufacturer or just some obscure off shore maker. One hint about quality is the thickness & rolled seam & the mounting plate & gasket of the filter. Visually they will give you a hint on quality. The thickness of the filter body, the thickness of the bottom plate & the gasket. But beyond that, it's hard to say unless you have the filters specs & the instruments to inspect it.

I know I'm overboard here, but I worked for Purolator Oil filter when they were based in Rahway, NJ & Fayetteville, NC. I'm just passing on my experience with this as I recall it from back in the 70's & 80's.
    Herminator and Fozsey like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    All commonly available filters automotive type filters (which is whats used on these machines and many others) have a bypass or pressure relief valve (sometimes these terms are used interchangeably), but unfiltered oil is better than no oil, and the construction and material used for said bypass is the subject of much scrutiny on oil filter related discussions, especially it seems on motorcycle forums for some reason more than others, though thats not the issue here.
    The question about creating back pressure is an interesting one, in that of course they create backpressure, they restrict flow slightly, although the oil being under pressure helps mitigate this. More back pressure than the rest of the system? Not likely. Thats how you have oil pressure in the first place, restriction in flow.
    The reason the filter media area is so large compared to the filter itself is to mitigate any increase in flow resistance, even when dirty.
    This should be the concerning factor for any replacement filter not labeled OEM.
    Deere doesnt make them, someone else does, to their spec, which is likely a few other specs too, which is why filters interchange between brands.

An easy way to tell what the specs really are is to go find an interchange site that lists pressure, filter media area, flow, pressure at relief, etc, or as much as you can get of all of those, and compare.

As to OEM filters for cars vs micron rating, they are kind of all over the board, within limits of course. Very few, if any, OEM filters are junk, and that goes for aftermarket too. Lots of guys dont like the glued on cardboard end caps on quite a few of those filters, but they filter fine. I dont use them because there are better filters for not much more money in my opinion.

For reference, AM125424 crosses to:
    Fram PH8170, NAPA 1056, WIX 51056, and a whole lot of others.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 11-11-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    I cant talk about filters but on my 420 L&G I developed an oil leak around the front pto shaft. Just a slow drop when I ran the pto. I was told there should be no pressure behind that gasket but what probably caused the drip was I developed oil pressure in the oil pan from bad rings on a cyclinder. I was able to add oil often and the motor lasted 6 more years while I had it, once I gave it to my son it was shot in 15 months,
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Oil filters do not create back pressure. Clogged oil filters can create back pressure in a pressurized system (pump) and in the end engine failure.

Certain oil filters have a check valve in them to prevent the oil from draining back into the oil pan/crankcase when the engine is off and oil is not being fed to the engine through the engine oil pump. The check valve in oil filters is pretty common practice now, and it helps to enhance/extend engine life by eliminating "dry" oil conditions when starting. I would use the manufacturers oil filter for this reason alone.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, 48" 3pt aerator, 900lb roller, Imatch
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Gone but not forgotten;
    Ford 4000
    Craftsman GT18
    JD X580

Vietnam Veteran

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBL View Post
    Oil filters do not create back pressure. Clogged oil filters can create back pressure in a pressurized system (pump) and in the end engine failure.

This is false. Any filter, even brand new, will impose some back pressure on the system. It is simple physics anything in the flow path of a fluid restrics flow of that fluid.

On the other hand. If you manage to run an engine oil filter to the point that it is so dirty the back pressure it creates is a problem for the engine you have other problems.

Engine oil filters are designed to have far more filter area than needed to have minimal flow restriction for the expected service life of the oil and the filter. Any filter that is a cross reference to the JD filter part number is fine for your engine. There is a Wix filter that is regularly stocked at O'Reilly auto parts that fits the Kawisaki engines. I'm currently using one on my engine.
    Herminator likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 11:10 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you bought an OEM Kohler filter. The relief pressure is virtually identical between Kohler and Briggs filters. No need to worry. I mainly use OEM engine oil filters. Who is one of the leading aftermarket filter suppliers in the world? John Deere. John Deere will put that AM125424 filter on both a Briggs or Kohler. Even the larger Kawasaki.
    Herminator likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-19-2018 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your time

When I say identical I mean physically the JD oil filter and the Kohler look the same with the OD, height and the hole in the center which screws to the engine are the same on both. The JD filter is marked on the filter case John Deere and the Kohler is marked Kohler plus it says full flow oil filter. I’m sure JD neither Kohler makes their own filters and most likely they both buy their filters from the same place.

I don’t think I will worry about microns, to my opinion all oil filters for the same purpose (cars, trucks or tractors) are made the same. The only difference will be the price between OEM and aftermarket filters.

The filter is installed and after starting the engine all is fine. I stored the tractor in the cabana for the winter and in the spring I will see what I will do. If I don’t feel comfortable then I can zip to the dealer and get a new filter. BTW the JD oil filter cost $12.00 and the Kohler $20.00
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Nicolas

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    This is false. Any filter, even brand new, will impose some back pressure on the system. It is simple physics anything in the flow path of a fluid restrics flow of that fluid.

On the other hand. If you manage to run an engine oil filter to the point that it is so dirty the back pressure it creates is a problem for the engine you have other problems.

Engine oil filters are designed to have far more filter area than needed to have minimal flow restriction for the expected service life of the oil and the filter. Any filter that is a cross reference to the JD filter part number is fine for your engine. There is a Wix filter that is regularly stocked at O'Reilly auto parts that fits the Kawisaki engines. I'm currently using one on my engine.
    The original question is ill phrased. Back pressures has historically meant greater than atmospheric pressure in a system that is supposed to be at atmospheric pressure. The term dates from the steam engine days. Exhaust systems for a modern day example.

The supply side of an oil filter is already under pressure, so "back pressure" in its generally accepted definition doesn't make sense. What matters is flow through the system. Oil pressure alone doesn't tell the whole story.

Al

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast