Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Adding oil to fuel for lubricity

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 03:46 PM
    Thanks

Adding oil to fuel for lubricity

So I know it’s not uncommon to hear people adding a half a quart or so to 5 gallons of diesel to lube everything up. I’ve never heard anything bad about it but I wanted to see if it would be okay to dump a oil in the fuel???? I always end up with little 1/4 full quarts of oil around and it would be nice to use them for a good purpose. Any thoughts???

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,346 Times in 2,615 Posts
    I would never ever do this. There are a lot of additives that are in that oil that isn't designed to be burned. ATF is even worse, it has friction modifiers in it. These additives can gum up your injectors and deposit ash where you don't want it. Modern diesel fuel systems are extremely finicky and have very very tight tolerances. Don't put stuff in there that compromises that. And don't even think about it in any diesel that has exhaust aftertreatment.

Stick to regular fuel additives, quality ones, not just what's on sale at your local corner store.
    glc, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 10 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike†(12-14-2018), glc†(12-13-2018), Herminator†(12-13-2018), John Deere 1025R TLB†(12-13-2018), pcabe5†(12-13-2018), Sportshot2†(12-15-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgendeere87 View Post
    So I know itís not uncommon to hear people adding a half a quart or so to 5 gallons of diesel to lube everything up. Iíve never heard anything bad about it but I wanted to see if it would be okay to dump a oil in the fuel???? I always end up with little 1/4 full quarts of oil around and it would be nice to use them for a good purpose. Any thoughts???
    No... there are appropriate additives to add. Yes it will run, but I would not do that. I Buying some biodiesel, will do just as well. And if your machine has a DPF, you definately do not want to do it. Your profile does not mention what you have.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    glc, DRobinson, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    those left over 1/4 bottles are for your oil squart can for lubing chains cables and more
    glc, DRobinson, Herminator and 1 others like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgendeere87 View Post
    So I know itís not uncommon to hear people adding a half a quart or so to 5 gallons of diesel to lube everything up. Iíve never heard anything bad about it but I wanted to see if it would be okay to dump a oil in the fuel???? I always end up with little 1/4 full quarts of oil around and it would be nice to use them for a good purpose. Any thoughts???
    I haven't heard that for some 50 years I think. Today's diesels are not the same as Grandpa's smoker.
    glc, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 03:34 PM
    Thanks
    AGREED with others!!!!! Absolutley not!!! Never never never never never put engine oil in diesel fuel.
    glc, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 2 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    On an old engine that is designed for high sulfur diesel, it would probably be alright because the ULSD we use has reduced lube properties. Many have had success with 2 stroke oil in their old engines. On a newer engine (especially common-rail engines) this is a VERY BAD IDEA because these systems are designed for ULSD, and are self-lubricating accordingly. They have very tight tolerances, so anything added may have an impact (think watery diesel in a bosch CP4=instant empty bank account)

That said, there are plenty of additives that are designed specifically for these new engines and ULSD. I would use one of those if you're worried about something.
    wildbranch2007 and Herminator like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

11. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,346 Times in 2,615 Posts

Adding oil to fuel for lubricity

2 stroke oil isnít designed to go through any diesel engine. Just because you didnít have any issues with it in the past, doesnít mean it was a good idea.

Just think, if it was a good idea, donít you think the OEMs would be recommending it? What about the oil manufacturers? They too would definitely jump onboard to sell you more product.

Stick with additives designed for diesel fuel if you choose to use them.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with the others.
    Besides the fact that half a quart added to only 5 gallons is way too much oil, I have heard of this practice, but its very old.
    The only oil guys routinely add to their diesel is 2 stroke oil. Thats not necessarily a good thing either.
    Ive never done it much in my diesels, except the TDI, but even then, its less than an ounce a gallon. Does it help?
    Well, my mileage is marginally better with it vs not, but it also adds more contaminants to the oil, so it wont last quite as long when done on a regular basis, so its not really a good trade off.
    Additives, good quality additives, will add all the lubricity your pump needs. No need to add additional oils that may just plug up filters.

Add to that the newer DPF and associated parts, and Id stay way away from adding anything other than a well recognized diesel additive!
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 12-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    2 stroke oil isnít designed to go through any diesel engine. Just because you didnít have any issues with it in the past, doesnít mean it was a good idea.

Just think, of it was a good idea, donít you think the OEMs would be recommending it? What about the oil manufacturers? They too would definitely jump onboard to sell you more product.

Stick with additives designed for diesel fuel if you choose to use them.
    While I agree that they arent designed for it, it does work. Several diesel truck sites discuss it all the time, and much like oil type/grade threads, they tend to get heated one way or the other.
    Ive done it in my little TDI, and it does help somewhat, but besides the additional cost, it also will degrade the oil faster as a side effect.
    Thats something I recently read about, and why I dont do it anymore.
    But running regular oil in a diesel? Thats not something Ive heard of anyone doing in a very long time, except those that run waste oil, and thats not quite the same thing...because I dont know anyone cooking with motor oil.
    Herminator likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast