3520 Oil Change Question (not which is better :-) , rather 2 different colors of oil
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 3520 Oil Change Question (not which is better :-) , rather 2 different colors of oil

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks

3520 Oil Change Question (not which is better :-) , rather 2 different colors of oil

Last night I go to change the oil in my 3520. Drain old, spin on a new JD filter, and dumb in a jug of Mobile 1 oil (4 qts). Open up jug number 2, and for whatever reason, the color of it catches my eye. It has a red hue to it. Every other time I have used this stuff, it had a nice golden tan color, and this one is red. I stop what I am doing and phone Mobile and of course no one is available after hours, and I didnt get a chance today to call back.

Anyone ever experience this? I have no problem eating the costs if the oil is bad or mislabeled or something, but now have lost confidence in what I am actually buying. Now, for full disclosure, while both sealed and same brand/weight/ect, the labeling was slightly different, so maybe different bottlers or formulations? Then again, even if so, kind of a lousy deal no real notice of such a change?

I plan to call monday to see what they say, but am leaning towards chucking the new oil and filter and choosing another brand. Opinions?
    JD4044M likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    I'd wait to talk to Mobil unless you need to use the tractor before Monday.
    Used Mobil 1 for years and never noticed a problem.

Could one jug be counterfeit? Seen loads of other products copied including laundry detergent.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:14 PM
    Thanks
    I've used Mobil 1 since 2002 and it's always been the same tan golden color!
    Nch209 and PJR832 like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,284 Posts
    This is probably a dumb question but did both jugs had the seal intact?
    glc, pcabe5, coaltrain and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    This is a valid question. Donít know if it is true or not but heard of people buying oil, using it, drain their old oil back into the jug, and return it to the store for refund or credit.
    Kennyd, glc, arlen and 7 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Not a dumb question at all, but as mentioned in my initial post, both new/sealed containers. Both purchased from walmart. That said, the labeling is slightly different. Perhaps as suggested, a counterfeit that made its way back to walley world? I dont need the tractor, and will call on monday to hear what Mobile has to say. Right now I am leaning towards switching brands... but will post up what mobile says and will add some pics for everyone. Off to order a new filter..... more money down the drain.

What sucks with oil is it seems like companies are fairly often changing blends and ingredients in the same packaged/branded oils. Reading through lots of old forum posts on oil boards shows Rotella recently did this. Not saying thats what the deal is with my mobile situation, but rather, just crummy to know you dont know if you are putting the same stuff in you engine as you did in the past...

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This is a valid question. Donít know if it is true or not but heard of people buying oil, using it, drain their old oil back into the jug, and return it to the store for refund or credit.
    How lousy is that! Unreal! I am curious to know what I actually have, and half thinking about sending it off to Blackstone for analysis. Even moreso if Mobile says its fine--- again, came from sealed container. If perhaps they changed formulation or are dying it for some reason, would be interesting to see what is actually in it. So many things these days get revisions to make cheaper (for the seller to make better profits), while passing on the lower end product to the consumer. Curious if this is the case here. Will keep this post updated when I know more.
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Several times over the years I have had Universal Joints be used inside the box I bought! They wiped them off good and put them back in the wrapper and returned them to the Auto Store!
    glc, coaltrain and Nch209 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    What exact fomula did you have the problem with?
    glc, IndianaJim, Nch209 and 1 others like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    As HD Dealer said, what grade/spec/type was it?
    What was different about the labels?
    Can you post a picture of the two jugs?

Mobil 1 generally doesnt change anything in their oils without letting it be known.
    The only oddity I can recall recently, an it wasnt that recent, was with the Mobil 1 5w40 TDT oil vs Delvac 1. Supposedly when it was first introduced, they were the same oils, just rebranded for light truck use.
    Thats no longer the case, as Delvac 1 is now ESP, but Ive run lots of both through my engines, and other grades/types of Mobil over the years and never seen any that was red.
    I have had some a bit darker or lighter than others, but thats about it.

Also, you might get a much faster response over on BobIsTheOilGuy. Those guys are oil nuts...
    Seriously though, quite a few over there know their stuff where oil is concerned.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast