Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Cleaning out grass from in front of radiator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks

Cleaning out grass from in front of radiator

I’m looking for suggestions on how to clean out the area between the front of the radiator and the grill. I did some mowing yesterday in the pasture that’s eventually going to be alfalfa if everything works right, and that area accumulated a lot of tiny grass pieces that were pulled through the grill into the battery area. I tried blowing them out with a air hose but since they don’t have any where to go they just blew from one side to the other. How do you guys clean up that area?
    John Deere 2032R
    60D MMM
    220R Loader
    Artillian 42” Forks
    King Kutter Professional 5 ft Tiller
    King Kutter Subsoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,285 Posts
    I'm assuming this is a Gen-2 2032R? Did much grass make its way into the radiator?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,304 Posts
    About the only way to get it out is with a long air nozzle. You can reach down in and blow the stuff up and out the sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29F6D75A-BFAE-45A4-A15E-D017799FD280.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	665944
    glc, Marlin, HomesteadJoe and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    A leaf blower has worked for me!
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 4 ft air gun that gets down in there just fine but with no where to go but out the top it just blew from side to side. I’ll have to get a picture of how much is in there. About the only way I have thought of after thinking about it some more is taking a shop vac to it and sucking it out.
    glc, jgayman, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 2032R
    60D MMM
    220R Loader
    Artillian 42” Forks
    King Kutter Professional 5 ft Tiller
    King Kutter Subsoiler

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.45 View Post
    I have a 4 ft air gun that gets down in there just fine but with no where to go but out the top it just blew from side to side. I’ll have to get a picture of how much is in there. About the only way I have thought of after thinking about it some more is taking a shop vac to it and sucking it out.
    Some duct tape and a variety of fittings laying around - I reduced my shop vac hose to a flexible clear 1/2” tubing for a specific task - something like that may work.
    glc, jgayman, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    Blow it out with compressed air and suck it out with a shop vac as stated above. This is really the only choice... (or some variation of what was described above). I have been looking into adding a removable filter screen to my 2038R ever since I discovered that some JD tractors come from the factory equipped with these little miracles. As of this writing, I still have not come up with a filter screen solution.... so it's blow n' suck until I get that figured out!

Sincerely
    glc, DRobinson, jgayman and 1 others like this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Some duct tape and a variety of fittings laying around - I reduced my shop vac hose to a flexible clear 1/2” tubing for a specific task - something like that may work.
    Actually, using a Shop Vac may be the best solution for this. It sounds like the OP has a Gen-2 which as we discovered does not have a radiator screen. It was thought the screen was omitted because the front grill was fine enough to prevent grass from entering the engine compartment. It seems like that was a wrong engineering assumption. Unlike the Gen-1 2-series, the Gen-2 has a boxed-in area in the front between the front grill and radiator area.

It sounds like applying compressed air in this area has the same results as when I try to use compressed air to clean my central air unit. That is there is no place for the debris to exit once airborn.

A Shop Vac may not be the handiest thing to drag out when you need to clean but it will definitely do the best job.
    glc, coaltrain and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Actually, using a Shop Vac may be the best solution for this. It sounds like the OP has a Gen-2 which as we discovered does not have a radiator screen. It was thought the screen was omitted because the front grill was fine enough to prevent grass from entering the engine compartment. It seems like that was a wrong engineering assumption. Unlike the Gen-1 2-series, the Gen-2 has a boxed-in area in the front between the front grill and radiator area.

It sounds like applying compressed air in this area has the same results as when I try to use compressed air to clean my central air unit. That is there is no place for the debris to exit once airborn.

A Shop Vac may not be the handiest thing to drag out when you need to clean but it will definitely do the best job.
    I forgot that the newer tractors don’t have the removable screens. For some things our “old school” tractors excel.....
    glc and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I forgot that the newer tractors don’t have the removable screens. For some things our “old school” tractors excel.....
    Even with a removable screen, the design of the 1-series and Gen-2 2-series makes it very difficult to clean the area in front of the radiator where the battery sits. On the new tractors only the top of the hood raises and the front grill is fixed. Unlike the older models in which the hood/grill raised up as one unit and the whole area in front of the radiator was open.

These new designs even make it a PITA to jump start the tractor.

New Design

Previous Design
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1_batt].jpg   2_batt.jpg  
    glc, rtgt, Marlin and 2 others like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Ruger.45 (01-07-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast