Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Long Lived Batteries?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks

Long Lived Batteries?

Just bought a new battery for my truck...$145...more than I paid for my first car. But, counting my blessings. I bought my truck new...it's a 2002 Ford F-150, King Ranch version. Bought it in November of 2001. I replaced the factory Ford battery in 2010; and the new one I just bought was its replacement. My rough math says I'm getting nine years on a battery! This is phenomenal; factory warranty is like three years. I can remember when some batteries did well to last two years; often only one or so.

In any case, $145 for a battery ain't so bad, considering that's only about $16 per year (including tax). Wife's new Mazda got maybe four years on her battery. Anyone else having this kind of service out of their batteries?
    mjncad, Gizmo2, fdmars and 6 others like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    not to that extent but my Tacoma battery lasted about 6 years in my possession and it was a used truck so who knows.

As for the tractor, found out this weekend I need another one, lasted just over 4y on this round. 2nd battery in 8 years now and it has been on a trickle charger all fall/winter. boooo
    PaDave, MDrew, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Anyone else having this kind of service out of their batteries?
    I have a LOT of batteries,, LOT!!

anyways,, 12 months past the 3 year warranty is about average,, these days,, I used to get longer,,
    sometimes I get more,, My 584 IH has over 6 years on a 12 month warranty battery.

The 584 uses a high amp battery that is "industrial",, I guess they do not warrant those longer than 12 months,,

NOPE,, other than a fork truck that never left smooth concrete,, I never see 9 years,,
    ,,,,, or 8 years,,,,,,or 7 years,,,, or,,,,,,,,,,,,
    PaDave, MDrew, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,304 Posts
    Iím on year 10 now with the battery in Mrs. Cís VW TDI. My only explanation is that lives on a Battery Tender and is only driven ~500 miles a year.

I had to replace the battery in my Ď09 F-150 after 7 years which I thought wasnít too bad considering all the electronics always drawing on it.

Now my newer truck has the auto stop/start and has a 750CCA AGM battery in it - weíll see how long that will last.....
    mjncad, PaDave, MDrew and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,285 Posts
    My longest lasting battery was the Deere battery in my old 175 Hydro lawn tractor. It was 9 years old when it suddenly died without warning. Started okay on Monday - stone dead on Tuesday.

I can't complain. It was never on a battery tender and spent all its summers and winters in an unheated shed. The 175 was a hard starter that needed to be cranked forever. I was always amazed that the starter never burned up. :-)
    mjncad, BigJim55, keane and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,478 Posts
    2320 tractor was new in May 2012. Replaced battery in May 2018 because some hammerhead left the lights on on Tuesday morning and didn't notice until Friday. Replaced with another Strong Box which lasted six or seven months. No charge warranty replacement with another Strong Box.
    PaDave, BigJim55, keane and 1 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:00 AM
    Thanks
    I have a lot of batteries and have noticed that they generally are a lot better than they used to be. I seldom keep a vehicle long enough to have to replace the battery or tires any more.

But a lot of my stuff sits a lot so I have battery maintainers on everything. Best battery I remember so far was an AutoZone in my 20+ year-old Cub Cadet CUT that lasted 13 years. Battery in ZeroTurn is at 9 years and still going.

Worst I've had so far is the 1025r, now on its 3rd battery since new in 2014, average of less than 2 years each.
    mjncad, PaDave and keane like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Thanks
    I have a lot of batteries also. Tender on everything except wifeís and mine daily drivers. My 2012 Polaris sportman is best so far as it still has original battery in it. I did have to add some water to it a couple months ago but still fine. 2012 zturn was changed last summer, but my buddy left the key on when he moved it and I think it killed it.
    Now that I think of it , the best was my Momís car. 2006 Chevy Trailblazer that I just changed the original battery out last summer. She is gone to Arizona for 6 months a year but I have temders on all her stuff at her place also.
    PaDave, BigJim55, keane and 1 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Thanks
    The JD MowPro battery in my JD X 100 series just died last fall after 6 years of service, iam pretty happy with that. We will see how the next non deere will hold up this spring...the problem is the MowPro battery get shipped from the US to germany and that makes them pretty expensive and we have to take another brand.
    BigJim55 and keane like this.
    2012 X155R, (european version of the D130)+Texas fertilizer spreader,selfmade trailer, dethachter,chute , bagger, mulch kit.
    Utility Tractors on the farm:
    2018 6175R
    2013 6115M

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    My truck sits a LOT, and goes through a battery about every 4 years or so. If it was driven regularly, they would last longer, but since the electronics still draw power, and having no tender on it, well, thats not good for a battery.
    My 318 is the oldest battery I currently have. Its nearing 8 years I believe. Its the cheapest battery I could find at the time, from Walmart.
    Our old Explorer had a Walmart battery too, and it was fine for several years until the timing chain guides took a dump and it sat for a few months. I suspect it would still be going just fine had I removed it and put it on a tender until I had the engine back together. I was ok replacing it though, I think it was 5 years old.
    My VW is running an Autocraft battery from Advance with their Powerframe technology. Its not really Advance autos design obviously, and there is some merit to that Powerframe stuff, but its 4 years old now and starts the old TDI in single digit temps like it always has...which is to say slowly...lol. Anyone with a MK4 TDI knows what Im talking about. Crank until she fires! 340,000 miles, its had a couple batteries in its lifetime...but this one is working as well as the OEM battery did, so Im happy so far.
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast