Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Flipping Wheels

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Thanks

Flipping Wheels

So... This weekend we had a mix of ice and snow. I ended up putting chains on my 2032R (1st Gen) but in order to do that, I had to take off my iMatch and pull the 3pt lift arms in or the chains would have bumped them constantly.

I've been running with my rear wheels in the "narrow" position since I got it but I guess it's time to flip them side-to-side and get them in the wide position so I can use the chains and the iMatch at the same time. Not being able to use 3pt implements any time I want to use chains in teh future is a huge no-go for me.

I'm going to pick up a couple of 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch bolts so I can cut the heads off of them to use as guides for putting the wheels back on. Beyond that, how much of a pain is this going to be?

The tires are loaded and I'll be doing this by myself. I do have one floor jack that I can try to use to help lift the tire/wheel and I'll be doing this in a single bay garage with a concrete floor (if that matters!)

Any tips?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,576 Posts
    Easy. You never have to "lift" the wheels, just take the weight off them with the jack, remove the bolts, then "walk" them off with a side-to-side motion never letting them fall over. It is helpful to have someone on the jack to make minor adjustments, but not mandatory. Once off, you simply revers the process to reinstall.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Thanks
    Hello Jim,

I have to do what you are proposing in the fall and spring on my 955. What I ended up doing was finding an exhaust manifold stud which had the fine thread on one end that matched the thread in the hubs. I tried using two studs, but have ended up using just one stud. It was just too diffiocult to line up two studs. I removed the wheel bolt that is at 12 o'clock first. (Yes, you need the wheel bolts aligned so that one is at 12 o'clock) I jack up that one side partially to remove the weight off the wheel. I then remove the other 4 bolts. I then carefully lower the tractor to put weight back on the tire, and wiggle it off the wheel stud. Be very careful you don't tilt the tire back towards you. I rock and roll the tire back and forth to get it to clear the fender, and then spin it around. You then repeat the rock and roll making sure that I have a wheel hole as close to 12 o'clock as I can. It doesn't have to be quite right, as you can lift the tractor to get the vertical alignment where you need it. You then push in the top of the wheel to catch the stud. I then lift the tractor again so the bottom of the wheel drops into place so you can start the wheel nuts. The key here as I see from your post that you are indoors on a concrete floor. That is a plus, but again make sure that you have enough room to work after you remove the tire. I have to do mine outside on gravel, but you adapt. And yes, I generally work by myself, but if you had a helper to run the jack, life becomes much simpler!

I also own a VW, so have had to go with the cut wheel bolt, but I end up with a short stud. I would recommend that you end up with a stud that is about 1-1/2" working length beyond the face of the hub.

Dave
    glc, Zebrafive and JimR like this.
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    This will help if they are the same size.

If not you can see where to get the size and studs.

2038r Wheel Bolts
    Kennyd, glc, PaDave and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    I agree one stud is easier to use than two. I made two for my 2030. I tried them at 3 & 9 o'clock and also 12 & 6 o'clock.

I found it easiest at 12 o'clock. Once one hole is on the stud, jack up the axle a little and the wheel/tire will hang centered if you have the stud at exactly 12 o'clock.

I sawed a slot across the end of the stud for screwdriver removal.

My tires are no longer loaded, but weigh several hundred pounds.
    glc, PaDave, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    OK, you guys have convinced me that I can do this by myself. Just in case, I have a beam overhead so I'm going to throw a couple of ropes over the beam and through the tire/wheel before i take them off. That way, if one falls over on me, I can use a pulley to lift them back up. It's supposed to be warmer on Wednesday so if I get at it fairly early I can get 'r done.

Then I can work on shortening my chains so that they don't flop around on me.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Easy. You never have to "lift" the wheels, just take the weight off them with the jack, remove the bolts, then "walk" them off with a side-to-side motion never letting them fall over. It is helpful to have someone on the jack to make minor adjustments, but not mandatory. Once off, you simply revers the process to reinstall.
    A safety tip: Get someone to help you with the jack. Use a jack that wasn't manufactured when bell bottoms were allegedly fashionable. Use a jack that has some measure of fine movement control - not fully open or fully closed like mine.

3038e with filled tires. Without delving into details that make me look like an idiot, I had to take one of them to the dealer for refilling and bead seating. Getting it off and into the truck was no problem - it was empty. After it was fixed, I was able to unload it with an engine hoist and get it up next to the axle like Kenny said. I was holding a flashlight and the top of the wheel with my left hand and working the floor jack with my right to get the bolt holes aligned.

Because my jack sucks ass, I managed to drop the tractor fender onto the top of the wheel. No big deal, but my hand was there! No injury and no pain - I got lucky. It could have gone real bad. Plus was wife was not home at the time and don't know if my neighbor would have heard me screaming.

While I'm here, a question: same tractor, R4 tires, valve stems facing outwards. Chains would be marginal improvement and I'd like to purchase some IF there isn't going to be a problem with clearance. Anybody aware of any?

Al
    glc, DRobinson, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Jim,

You should be A-OK. I have loaded tires on both rigs and remove the wheels on occasion. As was mentioned, just remove the weight from one wheel at a time and rock or shimmy the tire away from the machine.

When reinstalling it's fairly easy to "walk" the wheel back onto the raised hub. I usually try to rotate the axle flange so that one bolt hole is at 12 o'clock. I then use a tapered drift to align the flange hole with the wheel bolt hole.

If rotating / reversing your R-4's to the wide position remember to swap the wheels from side to side.
    glc and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Wasn't nearly as bad as I was imagining. It took me just over an hour to take the chains off and flip the wheels from side-to-side. It was a bit of a pain doing it while it's only 30 degrees but it is what it is. The wheels are now flipped.

I have to get myself a set of chain pliers so I can shorten my chains before I put them back on so that'll be a couple of days but we don't have any major storms predicted in the mean time.

Thanks peeps!
    glc, Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,576 Posts
    Good to hear Jim, glad you didn’t end up under a tire

I never invested in dedicated chain pliers, you can just use a block of wood, a cold chisel, a hammer, and a medium sized set of bolt cutters. I already had all that so I used them. Frank does have a set though, tell him or bring them over with one of his famous lasagna’s
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast