Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: More Fuel Info

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Thanks

More Fuel Info

All the talk about gelling diesel, kerosene, and cold weather got me thinking. I starting asking questions of a couple local fuel suppliers yesterday and today.
    I went to a bulk fuel supplier (BP) in Rochester that has a bunch of pumps lined up for the general public to use. Iím not kidding when I say that they have about every fuel that you would need...1 pump of each.
    Their winter diesel blend is 20% #1. I bought 6 gallons of straight #1 there.

Today I went to the local BP station in the small town near where I live, and bought 12 gallons of their winter blend. I went inside, and asked them some questions. The woman at the counter had a sheet with all the info that I was asking about. They had just reworked their blend to 50% number 1. She said the cold filter plugging temp would be -30 deg F
    Their #2 with cold flow additive had a cold filter plug temp of -5 deg

Both places (both of them are BP affiliates) confirmed that kerosene and #1 were identical base stocks.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that the 2 places (both BP) had very different winter blends, and that they are both fiddling with the ratio to meet expected local temperatures. So buying diesel from a place that sells allot is definitely important.
    The blend can vary widely.
    I stopped by the JD dealer and bought some extra fuel filters too. I think Iím ready for the brutal cold next week (-32 degF) weds morning...I will need to feed the cows
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to arlen For This Useful Post:

PJR832†(01-26-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Thatís interesting Arlen, nice to be able to buy the fuel you need when you need it and not trying to make your fuel what you ďmightĒ need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,611 Posts
    Just a general reminder, your tractor/diesel powered equipment may not tolerate the drier fuel blends. Most OEMs will tell you Kerosene is not an approved fuel. A lubrication additive may be all you need. Some will be perfectly fine running dry fuels. Most equipment nowadays wonít tolerate too much of it without some degradation or wear of the expensive fuel injection system.

Read your manual and find out what you can and canít use. When in doubt, an additive may save your engine.
    fdmars, arlen, PaDave and 9 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Cutty72†(01-30-2019), JD4044M†(01-26-2019), Jeff R.†(01-26-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Just a general reminder, your tractor/diesel powered equipment may not tolerate the drier fuel blends. Most OEMs will tell you Kerosene is not an approved fuel. A lubrication additive may be all you need. Some will be perfectly fine running dry fuels. Most equipment nowadays wonít tolerate too much of it without some degradation or wear of the expensive fuel injection system.

Read your manual and find out what you can and canít use. When in doubt, an additive may save your engine.
    What I have been saying right along DS. Who is going to be out in an open station at -35 anyway. Truck maybe, but they are just as susceptible to dry fuel, unless it is an old mechanical injection IDI. And even then not much more accepting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    JD4044M likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    What I have been saying right along DS. Who is going to be out in an open station at -35 anyway. Truck maybe, but they are just as susceptible to dry fuel, unless it is an old mechanical injection IDI. And even then not much more accepting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    John Deere says to blend kerosene for winter use, but they say to use their fuel treatment for lubricity.
    Not much else you can do...#2 treated with cold flow additive can only go down to -5 or -10.
    wildbranch2007, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks
    My fuel supplier tells me that the common winter fuel is 30% #1 and 70% #2. That is what I bought before winter before last. This winter, I am not planning on using my tractor very much, so am trying to get buy on one tank of fuel with JD winter fuel treatment plus the OptiLube I already put in the big tank. Although it rarely gets below zero here, it did this past week. I am down to about 3/8 of a tank now, so will have to make a decision soon as to what my fuel future is for the rest of the winter. I am thinking about going ahead and ordering regular #2 for delivery soon as I am getting by with the #2 left over from last summer. The problem I had with that 30% #1 was that it took me all the following summer to use it all up and I did not want to get into that again. This past summer I used all the summer fuel. I just never know how much fuel I am going to need, so figured to try to make it through the winter with what I had, rather than get stuck with so much #1 mix again.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    My fuel supplier tells me that the common winter fuel is 30% #1 and 70% #2. That is what I bought before winter before last. This winter, I am not planning on using my tractor very much, so am trying to get buy on one tank of fuel with JD winter fuel treatment plus the OptiLube I already put in the big tank. Although it rarely gets below zero here, it did this past week. I am down to about 3/8 of a tank now, so will have to make a decision soon as to what my fuel future is for the rest of the winter. I am thinking about going ahead and ordering regular #2 for delivery soon as I am getting by with the #2 left over from last summer. The problem I had with that 30% #1 was that it took me all the following summer to use it all up and I did not want to get into that again. This past summer I used all the summer fuel. I just never know how much fuel I am going to need, so figured to try to make it through the winter with what I had, rather than get stuck with so much #1 mix again.

Dave
    I would order #2 also if I were in your situation. You could probably get by with treated #2 for 90% of the time.
    I like to keep #2 in my barrel, but it wonít come out for about 2 months in the winter
    PJR832 likes this.
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Thanks
    Right now I only have #2 Fuel with Double Howes treatment in it. If we have a super cold weird day I won't start the tractor unless I have to. Never had a problem last year or with my water tender it was always put away for the winter with summer fuel and treated by me. I did start it a couple times during the winter just because I could and let it come up to operating temps.

FAQ about it;
    Which Howes additive should I use in the winter?
    Howes Diesel Treat. It’s a diesel conditioner with anti-gel and contains a cold flow improver designed to prevent gelling in winter.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-03-2019 at 08:16 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.

13. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    John Deere says to blend kerosene for winter use, but they say to use their fuel treatment for lubricity.
    Not much else you can do...#2 treated with cold flow additive can only go down to -5 or -10.
    I used +15 #2 in Alaska year-round in a 500 gallon above ground tank for all of my diesels with only 50 gallon shot of #1 in December and Stanadyne (year round). I was only bit once. It was -55F. I drove my Cummins powered Ram to Delta Junction 100 miles away from home. It started bucking and losing power about 20 miles from home. It was parked in a warm garage at home. I realized I wasnít making power and I was losing heat in the cab about 50 miles from home. I was screwed either way. Luckily it didnít get any worse the rest of the trip. It didnít like it and I was cold, but I made it to Delta Junction just fine. That was the only time I was burned AFTER I learned my expensive lesson about dry fuels and what they can do your diesel injection system.

The right fuel and additive can make all the difference in what happens for an operator.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    What’s +15 #2?
    Are you saying a #1 blend is still bad even if treated for lubricity?
    It seems you are trying to say something without actually saying it.
    Last edited by arlen; 02-03-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    wildbranch2007, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    JD 320D Skid Loader

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast