• 5 Post By John Deere 1025R TLB

Thread: RIO Switch Failure and NEW Better Switch

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:03 AM
    Thanks

RIO Switch Failure and NEW Better Switch

Hi All,
    Well had my RIO switch fail on my MY2013 1025R TLB. I looked up the correct replacement part, shown first in the portion of the attachment (LVA21438). Noticed there was a substitute part number shown in the catalogue (AM127393) and wondered what that was and why it was no longer available. So I looked up both part numbers on e-Bay. Both were listed. Got looking around further and there was an upgraded non OEM part shown for both. One was around $20 bucks and the other was around $13. What was interesting, both had the same contacts shown. The more expensive was shown as a 3 way switch in the non OEM part, the other just as a PTO switch. So being out of work and paying for cancer treatments, I took a chance and purchased the cheaper heavy duty switch shown in the attachment and hoped for the best.

Well, to my delight it worked flawlessly.

That being said, I notices that the new switch had all contacts listed as NC. So I thought to myself, "Hmmmm, I wonder". Low and behold, the contacts on the old switch, the ones we had to jumper to do away with the RIO nonsense, had one set normally open when tested. Was not until you pulled up on the RIO, that it became a normally closed contact. So for poops and giggles, I removed the jumper on that set of contacts. Well guess what. No more need to have the jumper in there! So, if you want to defeat the RIO, without having to screw up your instrument cluster PTO RPM reading, this is a very cheap and effective method.

That said!! I can access my RIO from under the fire wall, which my understanding of the newest designs, is not the case now. Well, I unplugged the RIO (which is extremely hard) and tried to remove the switch, pressing in on the retaining clips. Well dunno if my strength is sapped with the radiation and Chemo, but I could not get it to come out. So I plugged the plug back up to the old switch. Then I thought, well maybe I could get it to pop out with a flat head screwdriver. Put the screwdriver to the underside corner of the lip, gave it a whack, and low and behold the switch popped out on that side. Did the same in the other corner, and up came that side. Pried up on both edges, and a little up pressure (like you were using the RIO as designed) and out came the switch, with the plug still attached. I had enough room to grab the old switch with one hand and the plug with the other, disconnect the old switch, then install the new switch. (I had tested it for operation because I could get to the plug prior to popping the old switch out). It popped right back in the hole from whence the old one came out, and done! I could have actually done this replacement, without removing the side panel. No mars on the dash, no damage to either switch. So this same method could most likely be used on the newest machines. Cannot attest to that fully, but my guess is wiring has not changed, just the addition of the block so it is not easy to get to the RIO plug. Something like the new bracket to keep you from putting your fingers in the fan! and since it actually does no harm to anything, you can pop it out and reinstall the old switch when selling, so you have no liability.

Anyway, that is what I did with my SCUT today, but thought this would be more useful in the general maintenance section of the forum.

Disclaimer: I am supplying the information, part numbers and method for replacement as information only. It falls on you, if you want to try this on your machine and you take fully responsibility for your own actions. That said, for those of us on here, with the ability to replace the switch, I am pretty sure there is little risk, either from the replacement or used of the machine there after, unless of course you are a mechanically inclined idiot!!! Seems to me that those reading this forum are not.... Good luck and God Bless. It worked perfectly for what I want. Your mileage, may vary.

Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,509 Posts
    So if I am understanding your message correctly, the new PTO switch likely would eliminate the need for the front PTO drive sensor on the front implement shaft which plugs into the harness in the engine compartment. This is the switch which is used to eliminate the PTO shutting off when the tractor is reversed in direction and no action has to be taken with the actual PTO switch because of this override switch and sensor on the front PTO. Used for snow blowers, front brooms, etc.

Does this sound like I am understanding this new switch and it's affect on the RIO correctly?

As some older model tractors do not require the front PTO shaft sensor, but the 1 series and newer do require this sensor, it sounds like swapping the dash PTO switch with the new one you have found would prevent having to mess with the front PTO RIO sensor and the extra stuff which goes along with installing it..........Would you agree?

Could it be the PTO switch you found is for the tractors prior to the implementation of the RIO on the PTO or is this switch an after market companies product which either is designed to eliminate the RIO or just happens to achieve that benefit when used on the 1 series?

If that's the case, its a big win /win for simplifying the front PTO installation and one less thing to have go funky down the road.

You may have stumbled across the best thing to happen to the RIO since it's creation......It's effective elimination at the switch.

I am a big believer in the seat switch.

I am a big believer in the transfer case Neutral switch although it's a pain to get used to at first. I think the neutral switch and the seat switch prevent the tractor from accidentally running over the operator in a variety of circumstances which actually happen. Also, once you make it a habit of setting the parking brake and also putting the transfer case in neutral before leaving the machine which is running, it's really not a big deal.

But having to put manually take action every time the tractor backs up to keep the PTO driven implement running seems a bit ridiculous to me. Plus, it's inconsistent. The rear 3 point mower isn't affected by it, but the mid mount mower is, where the front mounted snow blower isn't. That also leads to confusion which I think causes safety risk itself.

I think the RIO actually distracts the operator from looking where they should be and requires them to focus on either lifting the switch or doing whatever is required on that specific machine to over ride or accommodate it.

Did I understand your post correctly? After all, today is Friday and anything is possible.........

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    So if I am understanding your message correctly, the new PTO switch likely would eliminate the need for the front PTO drive sensor on the front implement shaft which plugs into the harness in the engine compartment. This is the switch which is used to eliminate the PTO shutting off when the tractor is reversed in direction and no action has to be taken with the actual PTO switch because of this override switch and sensor on the front PTO. Used for snow blowers, front brooms, etc.

Does this sound like I am understanding this new switch and it's affect on the RIO correctly?

As some older model tractors do not require the front PTO shaft sensor, but the 1 series and newer do require this sensor, it sounds like swapping the dash PTO switch with the new one you have found would prevent having to mess with the front PTO RIO sensor and the extra stuff which goes along with installing it..........Would you agree?

Could it be the PTO switch you found is for the tractors prior to the implementation of the RIO on the PTO or is this switch an after market companies product which either is designed to eliminate the RIO or just happens to achieve that benefit when used on the 1 series?

If that's the case, its a big win /win for simplifying the front PTO installation and one less thing to have go funky down the road.

You may have stumbled across the best thing to happen to the RIO since it's creation......It's effective elimination at the switch.

I am a big believer in the seat switch.

I am a big believer in the transfer case Neutral switch although it's a pain to get used to at first. I think the neutral switch and the seat switch prevent the tractor from accidentally running over the operator in a variety of circumstances which actually happen. Also, once you make it a habit of setting the parking brake and also putting the transfer case in neutral before leaving the machine which is running, it's really not a big deal.

But having to put manually take action every time the tractor backs up to keep the PTO driven implement running seems a bit ridiculous to me. Plus, it's inconsistent. The rear 3 point mower isn't affected by it, but the mid mount mower is, where the front mounted snow blower isn't. That also leads to confusion which I think causes safety risk itself.

I think the RIO actually distracts the operator from looking where they should be and requires them to focus on either lifting the switch or doing whatever is required on that specific machine to over ride or accommodate it.

Did I understand your post correctly? After all, today is Friday and anything is possible.........
    Sully,
    Absolutely correct. The switch apparently was made at one point for the newer model IC, as if you notice in the attachment it was once made by Deere and available.
    The switch I purchased is actually made for 10A, where as the OEM is 5A. Win win all around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements