Good Deal on a QUALITY Fuel Transfer Pump or Caddy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Good Deal on a QUALITY Fuel Transfer Pump or Caddy

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,468 Posts

Good Deal on a QUALITY Fuel Transfer Pump or Caddy

I received an email from Northern Tool about their big "Blow Out Sale" and they do have many very good deals. One issue which is often discussed is the handling of diesel fuel, whether its the transport of it from station to home or work site or the general dislike of pouring from 5 and 6 gallon fuel jugs, Northern has a couple of sales going on QUALITY items to make this process safer and easier.

First, they have their 12 volt transfer pump on sale which is ideal for transferring from a pick up truck bed auxiliary tank or from a fuel jug into your tractor. Normally, $199, this item is now on sale for $150.99 and includes free shipping.

I have used this item as a close friend has it and I was impressed with it's quality. I may in fact get one just to use to fill the tractor from the fuel jugs without having to lift and hold the jugs. Plus, it has the actual "fuel nozzle" although I don't recall if it's self stopping once the fuel level in the tank being filled reaches back up to the nozzle.

Roughneck Portable 12V Fuel Transfer Pump Kit | Northern Tool + Equipment

The second item they have on sale is the quality diesel fuel (as well as the gasoline model is also on sale) 30 gallon fuel caddy / siphon-transfer tank. It has a rotary crank which can be used to siphon fuel to fill the tank from other sources and then reverse the cranking direction and it will pump from the tank into the destination you desire.

12 rotary cranks per gallon of fuel pumped. Very nice if you need to drain the fuel tank for repairs or a filter change, etc. as you can use this tank to siphon the fuel out of the tractor or other vehicle and then restore the fuel by reversing the cranking direction and fill and siphon hose positions.

This unit also has free shipping and at 105 pounds, that's some savings as it likely is coming truck freight. The good news is you won't have to have the "tail gate service" for the lift gate, which can add up to $100 to the freight cost as you will be able to lift the item off the freight truck with your FEL and pallet forks.

Roughneck UL Listed Diesel Caddy | Northern Tool + Equipment

The fuel caddy's are 30 gallons and UL listed. It's on sale for $489 from it's normal price of $519 but the free freight is a big deal as the freight charge is likely to be $100 to bring it to my location from Northern's warehouses.

They also have some nice light weight work gloves that I like to wear on sale and other items. It's worth checking out their sale items if you need anything. My experience has found that Northern products tend to be higher quality than many other retailers of similar items.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,285 Posts
    I've had the Northern Roughneck 30-gallon fuel caddy for around 7 years. It has performed excellent. I use it for gasoline. Like you mentioned, it has the ability to extract fuel as well as dispense fuel. If I recall, I bought mine during a similar sale.

There are some lesser quality copies of this caddy available from a variety of sources. Typically the two areas the copies skimp on are the hose, pump and tires.

Northern also has available a dual-filter add-on for this caddy.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roughneck.jpg   Roughneck_filter.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I've had the Northern Roughneck 30-gallon fuel caddy for around 7 years. It has performed excellent. I use it for gasoline. Like you mentioned, it has the ability to extract fuel as well as dispense fuel. If I recall, I bought mine during a similar sale.

There are some lesser quality copies of this caddy available from a variety of sources. Typically the two areas the copies skimp on are the hose, pump and tires.

Northern also has available a dual-filter add-on for this caddy.

I used to use that one but up/graded to a bigger 150 gal tank. I am going to use the 30 gal one for gasoline now since I don't use as much of it.

I bought the cheaper one off ebay for like $165.00 free shipping. It has worked OK for the last year and a haft. The hose is cheap but one day I will change it pump seems to work OK and fast. Looks pretty much like the $450.00 one I could not afford plus shipping. The welding was OK on mine and wheels are holding up too so far. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-30-Gall...AAAOSwlINb63eZ
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-26-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    For the thirty gallon caddy, do you transport it to a filling station to fill, or have fuel delivered?
    Any problems putting diesel in a red container at a filling station? I thought diesel container had to any color other than red.

My 2030 fills top of hood, front. It's getting harder as I get older . I either use a work platform or stand on the front tire. Harder yet with the loader on (boom arms are higher than the hood). I use 6 gallon yellow plastic diesel containers.

I'd like to replace it with a used JD 5065M that fills by the top of the steps, left side
    BigJim55, SulleyBear and JD4044M like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    SulleyBear didn't you just get a bunch of new diesel fuel jugs? If they need a new home, put them out by the curb, and PM me your address.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    I did not like loading my 30 gal one in my pick up by myself. It had to go in the open bed and was top heavy. Lifting it out took 2 people as I did not want to damage it banging it around. Did not want to lift it using the bolted on handle either it weighs around 300 lbs total full. My big one (1500 lbs aprox) still requires a open bed but I load it with my loader a one person job and held more fuel. I was shooting for getting fuel pretty much once a year or at least once in the winter 6 months! If I was going to use the 30 gal one now I would make a frame it sits in to lift it with my loader in and out of the pick up bed. Plus have a easy to use bracket I can hook it to the Stake Bed Pockets solid with web straps.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    <snip>

The second item they have on sale is the quality diesel fuel (as well as the gasoline model is also on sale) 30 gallon fuel caddy / siphon-transfer tank. It has a rotary crank which can be used to siphon fuel to fill the tank from other sources and then reverse the cranking direction and it will pump from the tank into the destination you desire.

12 rotary cranks per gallon of fuel pumped. Very nice if you need to drain the fuel tank for repairs or a filter change, etc. as you can use this tank to siphon the fuel out of the tractor or other vehicle and then restore the fuel by reversing the cranking direction and fill and siphon hose positions.

This unit also has free shipping and at 105 pounds, that's some savings as it likely is coming truck freight. The good news is you won't have to have the "tail gate service" for the lift gate, which can add up to $100 to the freight cost as you will be able to lift the item off the freight truck with your FEL and pallet forks.

Roughneck UL Listed Diesel Caddy | Northern Tool + Equipment

The fuel caddy's are 30 gallons and UL listed. It's on sale for $489 from it's normal price of $519 but the free freight is a big deal as the freight charge is likely to be $100 to bring it to my location from Northern's warehouses.

<snip>
    This looks as good in the quality department as the made in USA HMC Fuel Caddies that I have, and cost about $100.00 less. I have a green one for Diesel and a red one for ethanol free gas.

GC-30 Gas Caddy Series - HMC Industries | Motorcycle Lifts, Gas Caddy Tanks, and Shop Equipment Made in Marshalltown, Iowa

You can find better pricing on these on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I did not like loading my 30 gal one in my pick up by myself. It had to go in the open bed and was top heavy. Lifting it out took 2 people as I did not want to damage it banging it around. Did not want to lift it using the bolted on handle either it weighs around 300 lbs total full. My big one (1500 lbs aprox) still requires a open bed but I load it with my loader a one person job and held more fuel. I was shooting for getting fuel pretty much once a year or at least once in the winter 6 months! If I was going to use the 30 gal one now I would make a frame it sits in to lift it with my loader in and out of the pick up bed. Plus have a easy to use bracket I can hook it to the Stake Bed Pockets solid with web straps.
    I just wheel a 30 gal unit onto a feed pallet and strap it down, then I load it into the trailer with my pallet forks and strap it down. Reverse when I get home.
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    What a coincidence. I was just on Northern's website looking for tire assemblies. Just wondered about safety issues on that caddy. What is the proper way to store that much fuel? I would be afraid to keep it near the house with foot traffic from people and pets, and it would seem to hot to store it outside during the summer.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Thanks
    Hello,

I was looking for a better solution to filling the tank on my 4310 . . . the lifting and funnel approach I was using was getting too messy for me, too hard to lift a 5 gallon diesel container so I looked for other options.

Found this battery operated fuel transfer device on Amazon. For my needs it works! Has automatic shutoff and makes transferring fuel from container to tank much easier for me.

Sears.com

FredSG
    Kennyd, BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor_Barbie View Post
    What a coincidence. I was just on Northern's website looking for tire assemblies. Just wondered about safety issues on that caddy. What is the proper way to store that much fuel? I would be afraid to keep it near the house with foot traffic from people and pets, and it would seem to hot to store it outside during the summer.
    I have a small shed that's about 70' from any other structure where I keep my gas caddy, I keep my diesel caddy in the equipment shed where I keep my tractor.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast