Tractor shutdown and maintenance.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Tractor shutdown and maintenance.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

Tractor shutdown and maintenance.

Following up a post on the tractor with hrs. I've had several of the yanmar John Deere tractors. I would think that several thousand hrs. would not be uncommon. One weak spot of the 1025r is absence of a lower step or hand hold, therefore the weak spot is the tilt steering. Mine with 565 hrs has play and I tightened it up some but the bushing probably need replacing which runs about $200. I may do this in future. I added a step and now there is no pressure on a handhold...but anyway to the point. With all the emphasis on safety, everything you do with these tractors in safety leads to an engine shutdown. While I'm not advocating anyone doing anything to their safety, this cannot and I mean cannot be good for the engine. Most experienced users will tell you that the worst thing you can do to a diesel is constantly starting and stopping them, but this is absolutely what is going on with these compacts. I understand that this limits corporate liability and possibly provides personal protection but increasing shortens the life of the equipment. Naturally this would also be of corporate advantage. I'm not looking for any conspiracies but proper use of operation is the only key to a long lasting value. This might also be not letting multiple users on the machine, or an inexperience operator, or someone indeference to maintenance. One thing in our area is key is keeping moisture of the tractor when not in use. A lot of considerations when trying to maximize value. My take from Kentucky.
    farmgirl19, Levi and JD4044M like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry about spell check....maintenance?

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    As far as frequent shutdown of diesel engines - take UPS and their delivery trucks as an example.

The drivers must shut their truck off every time they stop. I donít know how many stops a typical city route has but my rural guy says he averages 85 stops a day. So thatís 85 times the engine is stopped and started each and every day. Iím sure UPS has done their research and find the fuel savings override any potential engine problems from doing this.

And the engines in these trucks have a turbo where a lot of our little Yanmars do not. With a turbo engine it was always prudent to let it idle a bit after a hard pull to let the turbo cool some before shutdown.

The new F-150 fitted with a diesel has the automatic stop/start thing. In a city environment that would mean possibly dozens of shutdown/start cycles a day. I guess the Ford engineers find that OK as well.

I am in the habit od idling my tractor for about 10-15 seconds before shutdown and feel that is plenty enough - probably not even neccessary at all.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    I see where UPS has gone back to gasoline engines in their delivery trucks Ö Perhaps gas is more economical to maintain ?

G
    Superglidesport and JD4044M like this.
    2013 - JD 1025r, 60" Auto Connect MMM, H120 FEL, 50" QA Loader Bucket, Home made Bucket Teeth, Titan QA loader fork back frame, Home made 66" Loader QA Snow Plow, Home made Land Plane. Home made loader QA Stump bucket. Home made loader boom pole attachment. Home made Landscape Rake. Modified HF Quick Hitch, Home made 3 point Ballast Box, Home made Debris Forks, Betsco BX42-S Wood Chipper, Woods 60" Back Blade, 72" Befco Finish Mower. 5' Bush Hog Mower. 1952 Ford 8N

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by machineryman View Post
    While I'm not advocating anyone doing anything to their safety, this cannot and I mean cannot be good for the engine. Most experienced users will tell you that the worst thing you can do to a diesel is constantly starting and stopping them, but this is absolutely what is going on with these compacts.
    Is that going on? I've had my machine for just short of 5 years now. I may have tripped a safety feature that resulted in an engine shutdown 5 or 6 times. So this happens to me just about once a year.
    glc, Superglidesport and JD4044M like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks
    With my 2025r i can put it in neutral and set the brake and get off of it to let idle. Canít you do this with the 1 series?
    JD4044M likes this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman View Post
    With my 2025r i can put it in neutral and set the brake and get off of it to let idle. Canít you do this with the 1 series?
    Of course you can. You just have to pick your poison. These aren't semi-trucks, you shouldn't let the engine idle for long periods (although some experienced diesel mechanics will tell you that even idling semis for long periods is not good for them).

Also, I think everyone would agree that constant stops and starts probably isn't the greatest either.

So what are you to do? For a lot of us, most tractor tasks don't require much run time. I have a small storage space which requires that I move the tractor to do most things. So I start it, let it run a minute or two, pull it out of the garage and shut it off. Same when parking it. Likewise when moving brush or something. You pull the tractor around, shut it off, cut and load brush, start it up and haul to the pile.

Frequent starts and stops can't be avoided really. I just use common sense. If the idle time will be less than 5-mins or so I let it run, longer than that I shut it off.
    wildbranch2007 and JD4044M like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Is that going on? I've had my machine for just short of 5 years now. I may have tripped a safety feature that resulted in an engine shutdown 5 or 6 times. So this happens to me just about once a year.
    HAH! You need to have the seat switch on my 2720... lean to the left to check bucket clearance - shutdown. Lean to the right to see where the plow edge is - shutdown. Unweight a butt cheek for any reason - shutdown. It probably happens to be 1 out of 3 times I'm doing something.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    HAH! You need to have the seat switch on my 2720... lean to the left to check bucket clearance - shutdown. Lean to the right to see where the plow edge is - shutdown. Unweight a butt cheek for any reason - shutdown. It probably happens to be 1 out of 3 times I'm doing something.
    Sounds like an adjustment issue. Maybe remove and put a thin piece of rigid plastic above the switch to distribute your weight more evenly? Not sure what it looks like on yours, but you get the idea.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    JD4044M likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by machineryman View Post
    Following up a post on the tractor with hrs. I've had several of the yanmar John Deere tractors. I would think that several thousand hrs. would not be uncommon. One weak spot of the 1025r is absence of a lower step or hand hold, therefore the weak spot is the tilt steering. Mine with 565 hrs has play and I tightened it up some but the bushing probably need replacing which runs about $200. I may do this in future. I added a step and now there is no pressure on a handhold...but anyway to the point. With all the emphasis on safety, everything you do with these tractors in safety leads to an engine shutdown. While I'm not advocating anyone doing anything to their safety, this cannot and I mean cannot be good for the engine. Most experienced users will tell you that the worst thing you can do to a diesel is constantly starting and stopping them, but this is absolutely what is going on with these compacts. I understand that this limits corporate liability and possibly provides personal protection but increasing shortens the life of the equipment. Naturally this would also be of corporate advantage. I'm not looking for any conspiracies but proper use of operation is the only key to a long lasting value. This might also be not letting multiple users on the machine, or an inexperience operator, or someone indeference to maintenance. One thing in our area is key is keeping moisture of the tractor when not in use. A lot of considerations when trying to maximize value. My take from Kentucky.
    You know the good part of all this? When you buy it, it becomes yours. Now you can do whatever you want to the tractor or with it. Some will not like what you do, some will and some just won't care. In the end it is yours to do with as you see fit. It's what I did and really don't care what others say I shouldn't have done. It's mine so I do what I want with it. Main thing I can tell you is, enjoy it and operate safely for you and people around you. My take from Tn.
    glc, dieselshadow, rtgt and 9 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1Ĺ" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow†(03-08-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast