• 4 Post By rtgt
  • 3 Post By firemachine69

Thread: DIY to drain ballast from tires

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-06-2019 @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks

DIY to drain ballast from tires

The lightly-used 1025R I purchased last summer came with an unexpected “bonus”...the rear tires are filled with ballast. I’d rather use wheel weights so I’m looking for a DIY way to drain the fluid & refil with air.

I was thinking about cobbling together some tubing and valves that would alternately let me drain fluid & fill with air until all the fluid was pushed out.

My plan would be to start with the valve stem at the top of the rim, remove weight from the tire & remove the core & attach the tubing. Then, rotate the tire so the valve stem is at the bottom and use the valve in the tubing to alternately push in some air, then drain out the fluid.

Not sure it I would get it all this way but seems like “a way” to do it without removing the tire or risk breaking the bead & having to reset it. Any thoughts from those that have done this before?
    Toughsox likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by atebit View Post
    The lightly-used 1025R I purchased last summer came with an unexpected “bonus”...the rear tires are filled with ballast. I’d rather use wheel weights so I’m looking for a DIY way to drain the fluid & refil with air.

I was thinking about cobbling together some tubing and valves that would alternately let me drain fluid & fill with air until all the fluid was pushed out.

My plan would be to start with the valve stem at the top of the rim, remove weight from the tire & remove the core & attach the tubing. Then, rotate the tire so the valve stem is at the bottom and use the valve in the tubing to alternately push in some air, then drain out the fluid.

Not sure it I would get it all this way but seems like “a way” to do it without removing the tire or risk breaking the bead & having to reset it. Any thoughts from those that have done this before?

one way to push the fluid of of the tire is to jack up the tire your working on off the ground....rotate to top like you mention pull valve stem core ...let air out...friction fit some tubing over the outside of valve stem....rotate to bottom...slowly let the jack down to crush the tire presurizing the tire to force the fluid out as the tire flattens....then do it all over again....till you get it down to the lower valve stem level....

that is one of several ways...thats the easiest with the least special equipment in my opinion.......sux to get last few gal out though

there is a correct valve stem tool to do the job just google it
    Last edited by ttazzman; 03-21-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 865 Posts
    How to get it out is only half of the question.

What is in it to begin with? Calcium Chloride, Rim Guard, Windshield washer fluid, ....

What are you going to do with it when you have it out?
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, keane and 1 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    What came out when I pressed on the valve was red, so I’m assuming it’s either Rim Guard or beet juice. I was planning on putting it into containers temporarily. I live around lots of farms, so I’m sure one of my neighbors can use it or knows someone who can.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by atebit View Post
    What came out when I pressed on the valve was red, so I’m assuming it’s either Rim Guard or beet juice. I was planning on putting it into containers temporarily. I live around lots of farms, so I’m sure one of my neighbors can use it or knows someone who can.

yes its expensive ......i would just give it to a neighbor or put it up on craigs list and sell it ....im pretty sure you can just dump the red stuff but dont quote me on that...i think that is the point if you spring a leak it wont mess up your field etc.
    Last edited by ttazzman; 03-22-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    Why not just put up a Craigslist ad looking for a straight-trade locally with someone that doesn't have filled tires?
    Kennyd, Gizmo2 and Roger47 like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    Why not just put up a Craigslist ad looking for a straight-trade locally with someone that doesn't have filled tires?
    That’s not a bad idea. I guess I could also call the used dealer I purchased it from and see if they would do a straight-up trade for a pair of tires. They seem to have an endless supply of 1025Rs this time of the year via auctions.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 2,309 Posts
    I was thinking of temporarily removing the washer fluid from my rear tires to see how it does mowing. My 2520 has now become mostly a mowing machine.

I would like to capture the fluid so I can put it back in if I wanted.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 04:47 AM
    Thanks
    I have a similar issue though slightly different. I just had a new set of all four HDAP tires loaded with rimgaurd by a local dealer. They clearly filled the tires above the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position as doing anything with the valve creates a mess with pressurized beet juice. The fronts seem to be over filled or over inflated (likely both) as they are rock hard. I just ordered a air/liquid tire gauge to confirm.

How does one bleed these down without huge mess? I'm assuming that I need to jack up the tractor, rotate the valve stem to 12 o'clock, remove the valve core, and let it fly. Is this the best way to do this?

Tractor is a 1026R.

Roger J.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    I’m curious why you don’t want the liquid fill? I have both liquid fill and external weights in my 1026R.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements