• 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By Johnf

Thread: PTO seal leaking

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Thanks

PTO seal leaking

I've got a 4010 MCUT and my PTO seal is leaking. Not really bad, but enough that if I run a post hole digger or brush hog, it gets wet back there. The area is caked up pretty good with oily grass and such. I put about 50 hours on the tractor a year and it seems to lose around a quart in that time. The price of the seal isn't an issue, just the time it takes to change it, which honestly doesn't look like it would be long either. Question is more of how serious is the issue. Is there a chance of a catastrophic failure of the seal and losing all my fluid and destroying my transmission, or is it just a minor annoyance that I need to make sure I keep up with?

2008 John Deere 4010MCUT R4 tires with 410 loader, 5' box, 5' grader, 5' Rock Rake 4' John Deere Brush cutter, Linebacher (SP) Auger, 42" Homemade ripper, Homemade 3pt trailer hitch.

Not a clue what I'm doing, but it's always lots of fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:37 AM
    Thanks
    John, I'm a L&G guy and not familiar with a 4010, but I'm looking at the mechanics of it and all I can do is ask questions and suggest things for you to check.

First is why does the seal leak? Is the tractor stored out doors possibly with the sun hitting the seal and deteriorating it? Is there a groove worn in the pto shaft? Is there any vertical/horizontal play in the shaft?

As far as a catastrophic failure, probably not. But it's not going to get better! It could (???) be simply the seal has worn out or as major as a bad bearing on the pto shaft causing the seal to wear out. If you do have a groove in the pto shaft where the seal rides, there's a product called "Speedi-Sleeve" made by CRS (I believe). This can be slipped onto the shaft covering the groove and giving you a new sealing surface.

Do some more checks and get back to us, Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnf View Post
    I've got a 4010 MCUT and my PTO seal is leaking. Not really bad, but enough that if I run a post hole digger or brush hog, it gets wet back there. The area is caked up pretty good with oily grass and such. I put about 50 hours on the tractor a year and it seems to lose around a quart in that time. The price of the seal isn't an issue, just the time it takes to change it, which honestly doesn't look like it would be long either. Question is more of how serious is the issue. Is there a chance of a catastrophic failure of the seal and losing all my fluid and destroying my transmission, or is it just a minor annoyance that I need to make sure I keep up with?
    The chances of a catastrophic failure are probably fairly slim. The leak may get worse over time. Looking at the parts illustration it looks like changing it would be quite easy. Remove the rear PTO cover, pop out the old seal and insert a new one. It doesn't even look like there is a gasket on that cover. You might not even lose much oil. You can probably get an idea of where your oil level sits.

If you are loosing a quart each season I would set aside some time to change the seal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4010_seal.jpg  
    AlKozak likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    John, I'm a L&G guy and not familiar with a 4010, but I'm looking at the mechanics of it and all I can do is ask questions and suggest things for you to check.

First is why does the seal leak? Is the tractor stored out doors possibly with the sun hitting the seal and deteriorating it? Is there a groove worn in the pto shaft? Is there any vertical/horizontal play in the shaft?

As far as a catastrophic failure, probably not. But it's not going to get better! It could (???) be simply the seal has worn out or as major as a bad bearing on the pto shaft causing the seal to wear out. If you do have a groove in the pto shaft where the seal rides, there's a product called "Speedi-Sleeve" made by CRS (I believe). This can be slipped onto the shaft covering the groove and giving you a new sealing surface.

Do some more checks and get back to us, Bob
    Is there any way to tell if this groove is there before I take it apart? I bought the tractor little over 3 years ago and it was doing it then. I can't tell that it's gotten worse, but I think it does leak a bit more when using the PTO.
    2008 John Deere 4010MCUT R4 tires with 410 loader, 5' box, 5' grader, 5' Rock Rake 4' John Deere Brush cutter, Linebacher (SP) Auger, 42" Homemade ripper, Homemade 3pt trailer hitch.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    John, I would think the seal is designed to keep the oil in, therefore, the sealing lip should face inward...this is in your benefit for checking for a wear groove. Get a feeler guage, somewhere between .005 & .010, and carefully slip it between the pto shaft and the seal. Then put the smallest screw drive you have between the feeler and the pto shaft. A slight pressure on the screw driver handle should lift the seal away from the shaft. You may need a flashlight, but your looking for a shallow groove, maybe only .005-.010 deep in the shaft. Lip seals are typically designed to be .020 smaller than the surface they're riding on...or .010 preload on a side. Depending on the hardness of the seal rubber (durometer reading) and the hardness of the shaft you could possibly have a groove. A visual inspection is the only way to verify.

Jgayman has an excellent point: remove (what appears to be) 7 bolts & rear plate, and install a new seal. This will also give you a good view of the pto shaft. When/if you remove the rear plate, grab the pto shaft an see if it moves around. If you can lift/lower the shaft 1/8", you may have a bearing starting to go bad. Don't fret, check it first!

Chances are the seal is just plain worn out. I've been trying to analyse what could go wrong and those are my thoughts. I'm not saying your tractor is shot, just giving what I feel are "worst case scenarios"! Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I greased it last week to install my brush hog. There was no perceived movement in the shaft

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    John, You're in luck then! It's most likely just a worn seal. I would think you would NOT have a groove in your shaft, just a worn seal. Dismantle, replace the seal, and you'll be in good shape.

"Plan B", live with the minor leak and keep a close eye on hyd. oil level. If it gets to the point where oil is pouring out, then you HAVE to replace the seal. Bob
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    The seal is less than $5. I'll get it and replace it next time I have a spare couple hours.
    keane likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements