Chocolate milk oil in my X370 - any way to prevent it?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Chocolate milk oil in my X370 - any way to prevent it?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks

Pulled my mower out the other day to get it ready for spring - and noticed the oil had that chocolate milk look to it.

I know WHAT it means, and understand to a degree the why - but how do I prevent it going forward?

Machine has only 12 hours on it - I don’t have a huge yard, so I get that it doesn’t get a good workout to potentially burn off all the moisture. But why am I getting it in the first place - air cooled engine and garaged in a climate where humidity isn’t a big deal.

Obviously, can just change the oil more frequently than once a year. Still just doesn’t seem right that so much moisture should be building up in the oil does it? Guess I’ll try running it at higher revs and drain/see what it looks like after 5 cuts to see if that helps. Any other thoughts..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toymaker View Post
    Pulled my mower out the other day to get it ready for spring - and noticed the oil had that chocolate milk look to it.

I know WHAT it means, and understand to a degree the why - but how do I prevent it going forward?

Machine has only 12 hours on it - I donít have a huge yard, so I get that it doesnít get a good workout to potentially burn off all the moisture. But why am I getting it in the first place - air cooled engine and garaged in a climate where humidity isnít a big deal.

Obviously, can just change the oil more frequently than once a year. Still just doesnít seem right that so much moisture should be building up in the oil does it? Guess Iíll try running it at higher revs and drain/see what it looks like after 5 cuts to see if that helps. Any other thoughts..
    Any time you have a big air temperature swing you have the potential for moisture build up. I have had my shop reach the dew point on the inside during what I consider a low humidity part of the year. As far as your tractor goes maybe operate a few times during the winter to where it reaches operating temperature. Maybe that will keep the moisture from building up.
    Gizmo2 and JD4044M like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,307 Posts
    With what you describe I would just change the oil twice a year - once in the spring and once in the fall. I mean how much is a couple quarts of oil?
    JD4044M likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

After running it pop the dipstick open. Just watch the steam flow out.

The other thing you could do if youíre really concerned about it is make a simple desiccant air pump with a fish tank pump and some silica canisters.

Something like this.

Engine Dehydrator - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by J3 Driver; 04-12-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    JD4044M likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    You could change the oil more frequently. However, if it were me, I would be interested, like realllllllllly interested, to find out what is causing the milky oil. Usually it is water as mentioned above. But what is the source of the water?
    -Condensation?
    -Water ingestion through airbox (ie: snow)?
    -Head gasket leak?

At this point I would change the oil, run it for a couple hours, then change the oil again to make sure I got all the crappy oil out. Then I would check the oil very frequently to try to figure out what is causing the problem.

I would also contact my dealer. Assuming it is still under warranty, by contacting them they will have it on record if it comes down to needing repairs under warranty.
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    When you say you will try higher revs, I take it you do not mow at full throttle? How long does it take you to mow?

I like to change oil at the end of mowing season (I only mow, no snow work). My theory is it is better to sit all winter with clean oil in it. Maybe you should change oil in the spring so you start with clean oil and not worry about it collecting moisture all winter, since it will be changed in the spring. Or do you use it in the winter too?
    BigJim55, coaltrain and Jeff B like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks
    Interesting thread. I've never encountered milky oil in an air cooled engine, and in Georgia here it gets very humid with a lot of temp swings.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    Interesting thread. I've never encountered milky oil in an air cooled engine, and in Georgia here it gets very humid with a lot of temp swings.
    Quaker State oil, a long time ago loved moisture. My dad's Dart had milk in it one time. All he did to get rid of the problem was change brands of oil. That is what I would suggest. But keep a sample, in case of engine issues later on. What oil did you have in it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    Yeah, this isn't just condensation.

Either water is somehow infiltrating through some unknown point, or my best guess, you have a head gasket leak. You'll kill your motor in short order like that. Drop it off at the dealer. A dead giveaway is your coolant level isn't at the max level on the bottle (at appropriate temperature). To give you an idea, I changed the oil in a car that sat for well over six months, this was during the very moist spring season. I changed the oil with only 300 miles on it (it was conventional oil, and goes acidic). The oil looked like it came right out of the bottle, I was actually a little sad to have cracked open that drain bolt.
    Last edited by firemachine69; 04-22-2019 at 12:52 AM.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    Yeah, this isn't just condensation.

Either water is somehow infiltrating through some unknown point, or my best guess, you have a head gasket leak. You'll kill your motor in short order like that. Drop it off at the dealer. A dead giveaway is your coolant level isn't at the max level on the bottle (at appropriate temperature). To give you an idea, I changed the oil in a car that sat for well over six months, this was during the very moist spring season. I changed the oil with only 300 miles on it (it was conventional oil, and goes acidic). The oil looked like it came right out of the bottle, I was actually a little sad to have cracked open that drain bolt.
    The OP's X370 has an air-cooled Kawasaki engine.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast