Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Reuse locknuts?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Thanks

Question Reuse locknuts?

This might seem like an odd question but I'm curious to know if the nylon (or whatever the material is) locknuts lose their effectiveness on reuse. I have an application (a ham antenna) where I made some assembly mistakes and had to remove several stainless steel fasteners and I thought it would be better to use new locknuts (which I did). It would be really, really bad if an antenna fastener becomes loose. Now I have six or eight used locknuts and I'm sure they would be fine for almost all applications.

This is more of an esoteric question but I wonder if anybody else has researched this topic.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    I look inside to see if the nylon is still in good shape and not worn or damaged

I have reused nylon lock nuts . . . but never for a critical operation like your antenna or something that vibrates like on my tractor . . . I keep the used lock nuts in a mason jar

I think you made the right decisions
    johncanfield, JD4044M and Toughsox like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    If it's a critical application for something that doesn't need routine disassembly I will use new Nylock nuts. In other applications I will reuse them as long as there is noticeable drag from the lock portion during reassembly.

I found this on-line:

Reuse

Authorities disagree on whether nyloc nuts should be reused. For example, Carroll Smith (Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners, and Plumbing Handbook) notes that the nylon insert is not damaged by installation and therefore they can be reused many times,[1] and a Federal Aviation Administration Advisory Circular allows nuts to be reused if the prevailing torque is within specification.[3] However, an Air Force Technical Order requires replacement of self-locking nuts in critical areas.[4] Various specifications for aerospace-grade self-locking nuts require that the running torque be maintained after a number of cycles of assembly, but without preloading the fastener.[5]
    arlen, rtgt, Firemark and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 AM
    Thanks
    I like to use nylocks and will resuse them in most cases. If they thread on with the same or similar resistance to new ones, they are most likely doing the job they were designed for. If I'm a little skeptical if that's enough to hold it solid, I might put a dab of blue loctite on it. If it's really critical, like holding the axle in my motorcycle, I safety wire it.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    This might seem like an odd question but I'm curious to know if the nylon (or whatever the material is) locknuts lose their effectiveness on reuse. I have an application (a ham antenna) where I made some assembly mistakes and had to remove several stainless steel fasteners and I thought it would be better to use new locknuts (which I did). It would be really, really bad if an antenna fastener becomes loose. Now I have six or eight used locknuts and I'm sure they would be fine for almost all applications.

This is more of an esoteric question but I wonder if anybody else has researched this topic.
    What kind of ham antenna are you building?
    JD4044M likes this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    What kind of ham antenna are you building?
    Its a SteppIR DB18E thatís going on my new Tashjian LM-354 HDSP telescoping tower . The antenna is fairly expensive (and complex) - Iím pretty anal about assembling it properly and not taking any chances.

And thank you everyone for the informative comments! I think I made a good decision and learned something here.
    arlen, rtgt, keane and 2 others like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 03:39 PM
    Thanks
    I'll reuse them 3 times at most.
    johncanfield and JD4044M like this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

10. Top | #8
    SRG
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    Its a SteppIR DB18E thatís going on my new Tashjian LM-354 HDSP telescoping tower . The antenna is fairly expensive (and complex) - Iím pretty anal about assembling it properly and not taking any chances.

And thank you everyone for the informative comments! I think I made a good decision and learned something here.
    Guy i know put a telescoping HAM antenna on the back of his Jeep Cherokee. it was all machined very nicely, and quite expensive. He claimed it was built so stout that he wasn't worried about it being hit by tree branches when we would go off-roading and he proved it, and it took a beating pretty well. It was like a 5-6" tube, and like 3-4' collapsed and I believe it extended out to almost double that. It was the oddest looking thing on the back of a Jeep He said some guy off some HAM forum (or something) makes them individually to order.

Oh, I reuse lock nuts too, as long as I can't thread them on by hand.

EDIT; Hot damn, I found a pic from a couple years ago on a wheeling trip (green Cherokee in the middle, can make out the tube antenna on the rear bumper).....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0030.jpg
    Last edited by SRG; 04-12-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I see that antenna, bully for him! We also are (were actually) into rock crawling with our highly modified Jeep Rubicon on 37Ē tires.
    rtgt likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Guy i know put a telescoping HAM antenna on the back of his Jeep Cherokee. it was all machined very nicely, and quite expensive. He claimed it was built so stout that he wasn't worried about it being hit by tree branches when we would go off-roading and he proved it, and it took a beating pretty well. It was like a 5-6" tube, and like 3-4' collapsed and I believe it extended out to almost double that. It was the oddest looking thing on the back of a Jeep He said some guy off some HAM forum (or something) makes them individually to order.

Oh, I reuse lock nuts too, as long as I can't thread them on by hand.

EDIT; Hot damn, I found a pic from a couple years ago on a wheeling trip (green Cherokee in the middle, can make out the tube antenna on the rear bumper).....
    Is that Silver Lake State park?
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast