Battery tender all year long, or only in winter(?)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Battery tender all year long, or only in winter(?)

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks

Battery tender all year long, or only in winter(?)

Question is this: Should I plug x750 and ATV's in to battery tenders throughout the year, or just in the winter months?

The JD is run weekly. One of the ATV's gets run weekly, the other sits for a few weeks at a time.

Thoughts / suggestions? Thanks, D.
    2015 John Deere x750, 60" HC Deck
    1979 Lawn-Boy 7268 ("Frank")
    2007 Lawn-Boy 10797 ("Sally")

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    IMO, unless you have a known battery problem (i.e. a weak battery), there is no reason to use a battery tender on any machine that is run weekly. I only use mine on batteries that are in long term storage (several months between use). If a battery can't hold a charge for a week, it's at a point where it should be replaced.
    ejb69, OxPath, jdmich and 5 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    IMO it won’t hurt anything. So for the few seconds it takes: why not? I’m on original batteries in both ATVs (2012 and 2014) I think partly because they are plugged in when not moving. Same for my 2015 x750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jdforever and DaubsNU1 like this.
    Rat
    ---------------
    2015 X750

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tankerpilot01 For This Useful Post:

DaubsNU1 (05-07-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Won't hurt but if run weekly I wouldn't bother. Well I guess I should clarify. Run weekly as it go out and cut the yard or run weekly as in move it 10' and shut off. There is a difference. I assume you are talking to actually use it weekly.
    jdforever and DaubsNU1 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

DaubsNU1 (05-07-2019)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Personally I keep tenders on all my equipment with batteries year round. Its just extra insurance IMHO.
    PaDave, jdforever, keane and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 5320 4WD with 520 FEL, MX-8 Mower, X585 with 45 FEL, X300, LT 133

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deere1 For This Useful Post:

DaubsNU1 (05-07-2019)

11. Top | #6
    SRG
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    If it starts without one, and continues to start without one, why waste/pay for, the electricity? Every once in awhile (2-3 months, throw it on) can be beneficial but there's no reason to do it all the time, on a perfectly good battery.

I have a SAE socket (battery tender plug-in) on my machine, and only use it in cold temps (continuously <40*f). That's just because the battery needs a little more attention since it works a little harder at starting in those temps.
    kylew and DaubsNU1 like this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SRG For This Useful Post:

DaubsNU1 (05-07-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    I only run the battery tender if it will be month+ between use or if it’s cold so starting is much harder for the battery to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
    UnionSchnauzer and DaubsNU1 like this.
    2017 2038r R4s with filled rear, iMatch, 72" MMM, 220R loader with standard bucket, Artillian forks, Woodmax FM-62" flail mower, EA 66" Box blade, Deere KBL 6' discs, cultivator, subsoiler, ballast box full of concrete, single point loader connector, rear dual SCVs, hydraulic top & tilt.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamone For This Useful Post:

DaubsNU1 (05-07-2019)

15. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks
    Running a battery tender will only extend the life of your battery. I have all my sleds, atvs, boats, yard equipment, etc on tenders as often as possible. The thing here is that you only want a maintenance charge so the smallest tender draw you can find will be sufficient. I like the NOCO G750 it is all you will ever need if you are plugging in between operations. The one exception is an annual deep cell invigoration. Once per year you should hook your batteries up to a car charger at 10 amps or so and runs them on manual for about 30 minutes. This will get the deep cells moving and allow you tender to maintain them as well.

You will also never have a sulfur issue by taking this approach. It costs nearly nothing for all my equipment to be plugged. When the maintainer is sensing low it surges to 20 watts (this is maybe 1 minute a day), generally speaking it is 1/8th of a watt to maintain a battery. Chargers do use a lot but maintainers are nothing to run.

I also added one of these to the knock outs on my dash. NOCO - X-Connect 12V Dashmount Indicator - GC016
    It makes it really easy to charge and look factory installed.
    Last edited by Swazimotto; 05-07-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    Jamone, DaubsNU1 and cutemclose like this.
    On my 2nd JD Tractor. 2018 x739 w/ 47" Snowthrower, 54" HC deck, 14 BU MCS, 48" Dethatcher (Hydraulic), CTC FEL.

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazimotto View Post
    Running a battery tender will only extend the life of your battery. I have all my sleds, atvs, boats, yard equipment, etc on tenders as often as possible. The thing here is that you only want a maintenance charge so the smallest tender draw you can find will be sufficient. I like the NOCO G750 it is all you will ever need if you are plugging in between operations. The one exception is an annual deep cell invigoration. Once per year you should hook your batteries up to a car charger at 10 amps or so and runs them on manual for about 30 minutes. This will get the deep cells moving and allow you tender to maintain them as well.

You will also never have a sulfur issue by taking this approach. It costs nearly nothing for all my equipment to be plugged. When the maintainer is sensing low it surges to 20 watts (this is maybe 1 minute a day), generally speaking it is 1/8th of a watt to maintain a battery. Chargers do use a lot but maintainers are nothing to run.

I also added one of these to the knock outs on my dash. NOCO - X-Connect 12V Dashmount Indicator - GC016
    It makes it really easy to charge and look factory installed.
    A little off topic but since you have a CTC FEL, having a charger port available is very important. If you have the FEL on and the battery goes dead, you can't open the hood all the way to get to the battery with the FEL on. I ran into this a few months ago. Someone (not me) got off the tractor without setting the parking brake and it shut off. That person assumed the tractor was off not noticing that the lights were on. It sat for a while I didn't realize it was off because I was busy running the chainsaw and couldn't hear that it wasn't idling. Well that person when to get back on the tractor to move it and the battery was dead. With the FEL on the tractor I couldn't hook up my big battery charger to give it a boost to start it. Luckily had a 2 pin SAE wire that is zip tied to the oil dipstick that I could get to and plug it into my little 2A battery charger/float charger. I left it for a few hours and was able to start it. Without that wire already there, I am not sure how I would have been able to get to the battery to charge it. Maybe rig up something to go to the starter for positive and ground on the frame. You have to pull the hood to get to the battery and there is no way to get to that with the FEL. If you can run the tractor you can't cycle the hydraulics to get the FEL off.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    05-21-2019 @ 04:15 PM
    Thanks

I use a battery maintainer year-round

It's good in the winter, so why shouldn't it be good in the summer? I use an "intelligent" maintainer connected to a fused 2-wire connector I added. It takes seconds to hook up.

I was NOT using a maintainer and found that my 4-year old battery would not start my machine after sitting 1 week. So, I hooked it up to the maintainer. This actually rejuvenated the battery and now the battery is about 6 years old and going strong.
    DaubsNU1 likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast