Water in GM1060 finish mower gear box!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mahd7766
  • 2 Post By hodge
  • 2 Post By coaltrain

Thread: Water in GM1060 finish mower gear box!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 11:04 AM
    Thanks

Water in GM1060 finish mower gear box!

It finally dried out enough to use the 2025R Gen 2 tractor to mow without tearing the yard up. Used the GM1060 rear finish mower I purchased as a 2015 model year demo unit from dealer late last year. Mower had to sit outside all winter unfortunately. Needed to move it to get to something else so thought what the heck lets mow with it while attached to tractor. Run it about 40 minutes and when done parked rig in front of shed to give everything a shot of grease today before parking the mower till next time. All went well until taking plug out of gearbox to check level. Got a gush of oil the color of coffee with lots of creamer in it. Guessing water contamination. Pulled cover and used a suction gun to remove all the old oil that I could. Then stuffed paper towels inside to soak up what was left. Not sure why the designer did not think a drain plug was needed. Manuel says when working on gear box to turn gearbox upside down to finish draining. Did not think that a good idea with gear box attached to mower.

Going to refill with fresh oil of course and reaseal the cover with permtex as called for. Then mow a time or two and siphon all that oil out and refill again. Everything inside gear box looked good. No metal shavings or rust that I could see anywhere. Does this seem a good plan of action or should I be doing something more or diferent. No idea how water got into gear box but will store with a cover of some sort over that gear box from now on!
    rtgt likes this.
    2018 2025R with FEL, Auto Throttle Kit, Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, JD Ballast Box, I-Match Quick Hitch, JD 3 Point Receiver Hitch, Artillian 3000 pound Fork Frame and Backrest with 42x3 inch Forks and Bucket Hoe, Kens Bolt On Hooks, Rhinohide Canopy, Frontier GM1060R mower, JD GT275 Garden Tractor with 48 inch deck, JD 145 Automatic Lawn Tractor with 48 inch deck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    I just bought a Woods bush hog, same thing. I believe that the culprit is an accumulation of condensation. There should be a breather, allowing air in and out as the gearbox heats up and cools down. Humidity can get through that, as well as condensation will form on the inside of the box. A couple drops a day, over months or years, can add up.
    No more difficult than it is, I'll service (or at least check) the gearboxes on my implements yearly.
    rtgt and coaltrain like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    I just bought a Woods bush hog, same thing. I believe that the culprit is an accumulation of condensation. There should be a breather, allowing air in and out as the gearbox heats up and cools down. Humidity can get through that, as well as condensation will form on the inside of the box. A couple drops a day, over months or years, can add up.
    No more difficult than it is, I'll service (or at least check) the gearboxes on my implements yearly.
    Unfortunately my old Bush Hog is my only implement that sits outside. I also change the gear box fluid every spring before it’s first use. With my oil extractor it takes only seconds.
    rtgt and hodge like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Unfortunately my old Bush Hog is my only implement that sits outside. I also change the gear box fluid every spring before it’s first use. With my oil extractor it takes only seconds.
    I use a hand siphon, works fine. Really, it's easier than trying to drain the oil from underneath, if that were possible.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-25-2019 @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    All I can think of is a 5 gal. bucket over the gearbox to cover it up. Maybe cut out a notch if you have to fit it over the shaft. But, as others have said, it's more likely condensation.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements