Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Air in fuel Lines

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 09:22 AM
    Thanks

Air in fuel Lines

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding getting the air out of the fuel lines. I was following another thread about 'FearTheDeere's' shaking engine and the suggestions to change out the fuel filters. My engine did something similar last week. I started the engine and it sounded like it was running on two cylinders, but when I shut it down and re-started it, it ran fine. Question one, what could make it run like that only momentarily? (I got the updated air filter last year.)
    Next question, if I were to change the fuel filters would I introduce air into the fuel lines?
    Final question, if I did introduce air into the fuel lines, how do I get it out?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 AM
    Thanks
    what kind of tractor are we working on most of the new diesel engines are self bleeding but I usually fill the new filter up with fuel before installing it
    Toughsox likes this.
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sorry, 2018 1025r. When you say self bleeding, does that apply to only small amounts of air? I ask because I came close to running out of fuel one day.
    Last edited by NotYourGrandfathersDeere; 06-29-2019 at 10:50 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 12:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding getting the air out of the fuel lines. I was following another thread about 'FearTheDeere's' shaking engine and the suggestions to change out the fuel filters. My engine did something similar last week. I started the engine and it sounded like it was running on two cylinders, but when I shut it down and re-started it, it ran fine. Question one, what could make it run like that only momentarily? (I got the updated air filter last year.)
    Next question, if I were to change the fuel filters would I introduce air into the fuel lines?
    Final question, if I did introduce air into the fuel lines, how do I get it out?
    Strange. Newer model diesels don't have that issue as far as I know but what you describe could be an injector acting up? I have had issues with that and now i always use a quality fuel additive to improve the lubricity. Are you useing off road fuel?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:12 AM
    Thanks
    heres a link to a good thread about the fuel system it might answer a lot of your questions Bleeding fuel system after replacing fuel filter
    Treefarmer likes this.
    brian
    2016 2032r, h130 fel, 62d mmm, ballast box, frontier box blade bb20065,jd I match quick hitch, frontier land plane lp1160, jd independent mower lift, kens bolt on hooks, artillian forks and front hoe bucket, r2 3" edge tamer tarter 6 foot land rake

1989 jd 826 walk behind snow blower

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bmichael For This Useful Post:

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, the dyed fuel usually from the local Esso station. Dyed fuel is about 20 cents per liter cheaper than road fuel here. Normally I put conditioner in it, but I know I didn't last fill up.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    bmicheal, there was a lot of good information in that thread, thanks for mentioning it. It answers a lot of questions. I'll keep an eye on the rough running as the 2 year warranty comes up at the end of August.
    JD4044M likes this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NotYourGrandfathersDeere For This Useful Post:

bmichael(06-30-2019)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    I have the same tractor as you. After you change out both fuel filters and you are ready to start the engine: Turn the key to the glow plug position as normal. You will hear the clicking of the fuel pump working. Watch the glass on the engine filter and wait for the glass to fill all the way up with fuel. Turn off the key and crank normally. That way the glow plugs will still by ready. It may sputter a few times and smoke a little at first. That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by jimmylh; 06-30-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    bmichael and JD4044M like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmylh For This Useful Post:

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
    Are you useing off road fuel?

May I ask what difference you think off-road vs on-road fuel will make in how a diesel engine runs? Both types are the same where I live except for the red dye.
    Thanks,Jim
    Kennyd and JD4044M like this.

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    Thanks
    To my knowledge, which may not be too correct, over the road diesel and off road diesel are the same cetane rating and the same "cleanliness". Home heating oil, often called No. 2 diesel, is about the same cetane but contains a LOT of lint and you'll replace filters often.

I believe the only difference between over & off road is the color and the price! Bob
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast