Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hydrostat oil analysis

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks

Hydrostat oil analysis

I had never taken an oil sample on the hydrostatic drive before this so this is simply a baseline sample.
    I had just finished mowing for 2.1 hours at normal operating temperature.
    No gremlins breeding in there yet.
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 9.35.18 AM.png†
Views:	25†
Size:	341.6 KB†
ID:	695190
    glc, North585, Tomfive and 1 others like this.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    What were you expecting to find in Hydro oil?

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quantitative values of everything listed in the report???
    Healthy components, low numbers in contamination, sufficient additives remaining, viscosity etc.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Thanks
    Dave, I don't know the cost, so this could be cost prohibiting. I'd send a sample of fresh oil right out of the bottle. THIS will give you a true baseline.

I used to do oil sampling where I worked. My boss was constantly trying to save pennies and kept changing oil brands. We he'd change, I get a sample from the new bottle and then samples from the engines. You'd be surprised at the differences in brands of oils as far as additives, particulates, etc.

Keep an eye on dropping levels of various chemicals/additives and increase of metals, particularly iron, along with carbon content. These indicate metallic wear of steel.

The other side of the coin, if you change oil every 100-200 hours, you shouldn't have any oil problems, and metallic wear can most likely be seen in the oil drained. Bob
    North585, PaDave and JD4044M like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rwmeyer For This Useful Post:

PaDave†(Today)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    Honestly if there are bad results what would someone do? I donít see any plus to rebuilding before it blows up.

JD set their intervals on real data. Stick to that and run it.
    JD4044M likes this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Dave, I don't know the cost, so this could be cost prohibiting. I'd send a sample of fresh oil right out of the bottle. THIS will give you a true baseline.

I used to do oil sampling where I worked. My boss was constantly trying to save pennies and kept changing oil brands. We he'd change, I get a sample from the new bottle and then samples from the engines. You'd be surprised at the differences in brands of oils as far as additives, particulates, etc.

Bob
    Good idea Bob about sampling new oil. I'll just do that! The kits are cheap enough through my JD dealer.
    And you're right about seeing the huge difference between brands of oil when it comes to the analysis between them. Been there-done that.
    JD4044M likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Honestly if there are bad results what would someone do? I donít see any plus to rebuilding before it blows up.

My thoughts were to catch a failing pump or motor before it went into grenade mode and took out other components in the system. Personally, I'd spend $5K to fix a $25K tractor with 1000 hours on it knowing it's maintenance record.
    Likewise with an engine oil sample that comes back with coolant or silica in the sample. The fix might be as simple as a head gasket or an air filter. Yes, I agree JD set their change intervals with solid data but it's my money now that I have invested in S/N LV3520Hxxxx.
    That's just me and my OCD with my green tractor
    glc, North585, Treefarmer and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaDave View Post
    My thoughts were to catch a failing pump or motor before it went into grenade mode and took out other components in the system. Personally, I'd spend $5K to fix a $25K tractor with 1000 hours on it knowing it's maintenance record.
    Likewise with an engine oil sample that comes back with coolant or silica in the sample. The fix might be as simple as a head gasket or an air filter. Yes, I agree JD set their change intervals with solid data but it's my money now that I have invested in S/N LV3520Hxxxx.
    That's just me and my OCD with my green tractor
    I donít know your particular tractor, but Iíve yet to see a hydro failure cause collateral damage, unlike engines where preventing a rod vent being added to the block is a major consideration.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post

Trade it in before it blows up!!!!
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    Not a lot of large particles and I can't believe how low the water content is.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast