Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Block heater: Zerostart 3100003 (JD# AR87167) low price on Amazon

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    On the 1023 I believe it's on the right rear of the engine, not the side. I can post a picture tonight when I get home.
    Jeeze, that would be helpful...thanks! Everything I've read, including the John Deere service manual, details the process (which is straightforward), but skips over the rather fundamental step of..."where is it?" From the photo, it would make sense if it was on the rear face of the block. I don't recognize the orientation here, or the wiring clips, but I didn't think to look at that part of the block. I've never seen a frost plug there. Of course, I've never looked closely at any 3-cylinder Japanese diesel engine either, so....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails freeze.png  
    Last edited by MacCool; 08-12-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    Mac

That looks like a pic from the tech manual, and yes that's correct. That big, black thing to the right of the wire loom is the firewall. Very convenient huh?

I couldn't find the picture I thought I had in my photo gallery, but came up with a decent drawing from the parts catalog and one off the net, which is actually from here at GTT.

Part catalog, from the back of the engine looking forward, freeze plug circled:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1023e block heater location 2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	330.7 KB 
ID:	699404

From the GTT thread. Looking down at the back of the engine, standing on the left side. You'll recognize the fuel lift pump on the right, muffler at the bottom of the pic in the foreground. Arrow pointing to the heater. Here's the link to the thread it came from. WOW !!! 1023e Engine Block Heater.....

Name:	1023e block heater location.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	699406

Also, in the tech manual it says to mount the adapter first then screw in the heater. I would think that with the limited space, I'd put the adapter in the vise and screw the heater in first, then mount the assembly to the engine. That's what I did on my 1025 and I have a boatload more room. It allows you to orientate the heater as you like to. Remember, don't tighten it too tight, just good and snug.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,468 Posts
    kylew likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Thanks to Ken and Kylew. I saw that post awhile ago and concluded that the installation was no big deal, but neither that one nor the one on Youtube helped me understand where the frost plug in question is located, nor did the service manual. Rear of engine facing the firewall. Huh. Now it makes sense, but not a place I would have first looked.

I'm encouraged from the post and video that it's apparently at least possible to get to that plug, but I'll know how painful it's going to be after I scope it out when I get a little time. Meanwhile, guess I'll go pick up some Cool Guard II.
    kylew likes this.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

7. Top | #15

Last Online
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Thanks
    Don't forget the high temp thread sealant for the heater. They had a good one at my John Deere dealer. You can pick it up with the coolant. You will also need it anytime you change the coolant for when you replace the engine drain plug.

Name:	lt1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	699472
    Last edited by keane; 08-12-2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Add photo
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, it's all perfectly clear now...

I did the heater installation today...it was no big deal once you guys showed me where the freeze plug is. It has to be approached from the left side of the tractor, and I think you pretty much have to take the FEL off to get to it easily. The hard part was getting the freeze plug out. It takes some pretty good whacks with a hammer and there's not a good angle to approach it. I just used a a long punch coming out the left side and eventually got it to spin despite the acute angle. I pre-installed the heater into the block adapter with some sealant, put some sealant on the gasket and bolted it down with the tree cap screws, torquing to 27 N-M. As it turns out, there's plenty of room to get the hands in there to bolt up the heater/adapter and the actual attaching of the thing to the block was as easy as I expected it would be. I refilled the radiator with a gallon of Cool Guard II (the radiator didn't take the whole gallon but the extra did fit in the coolant reservoir), started it and reinstalled the FEL. Everything worked fine.

I did use the ZeroStart heater that Kylew titled the thread with. It fit the JD adapter fine and save me a few bucks, so...thanks for that.

Here's the approach to the freeze plug. The rest of the install is pretty simple.

BigJim55, keane and kylew like this.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

kylew (08-14-2019)

10. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    Cool. Thanks Mac for the update and your comments on your experience. I'm sure it'll help others.

BigJim55 likes this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2